Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Muskegon channel

6K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  WallyWorld 
#1 ·
Anyone been having any luck for eyes in the channel? Been up twice and not a bump. Hoping to hear it’s picking up before we make the run again. Thanks!

#4 ·
How do you guys fish them? I've fished the channel using creature baits and have caught some small mouth off the rocks. I recently bought a place up there (bear lake), I'd like to try for some walleye in the channel and I'm looking forward to jigging for salmon when they run.

#5 ·
I would start jigging salmon soon. When you hear good reports; youve missed them. Ive caught eyes on blades, jigs n plastics, and jigging rapalas. Do yourself a favor, get on cabelas website and order as many 3/4, rad perch, mean eye blades as you can. They arent on the shelf and are backordered for a reason;).

#8 ·
Fished in the channel last night. Bottom bounced a crawler harness and got one smallmouth and one gill. Tried drop shotting with a goby bait, nothing. Tried pitching a creature bait in the rocks, nothing.

Also went outside the arms to fish the breakwall, looks so good out there with those giant rocks and the drop off. Tried all the same techniques and got nothing.

#9 ·
Fished in the channel last night. Bottom bounced a crawler harness and got one smallmouth and one gill. Tried drop shotting with a goby bait, nothing. Tried pitching a creature bait in the rocks, nothing.

Also went outside the arms to fish the breakwall, looks so good out there with those giant rocks and the drop off. Tried all the same techniques and got nothing.
Good report. Hang in there...it turns on and off like a bi-polar woman; and for the same reasons.

#10 ·

Just to let you know drop shot rigs are illegal to use in the channel as well as Muskegon Lake. Any drowned river mouth lake drop shots are illegal to us in. That would include White Lake as well. The walleye fishing will pick up after the Salmon move through. Good luck.

#11 ·
so... I'm confused.. with a leader it's not considered "drop shotting" anymore? wonder what the difference is law wise. it's the same thing except one is directly tied to the line and the other has a leader on it.. why is one legal and the other not?? :dizzy:

1. Fish on a river, stream or drowned river mouth (note 3, p. 18) using a weight suspended below any hook unless the hook is on a dropper line (a leader) that is at least 3" long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.