Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Net Handle Size Restriction Removed

6K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Sparky23 
#1 ·
#2 ·
One less asininely stupid law I can quit ignoring, THANK YOU. I never complied with that rule while in a boat anyway. Safety was way more important than the remote possibility of some bs ticket.

#3 ·
From what I saw years ago on the Platte River I see this as a disaster. Prior to the length limit on handles, I saw many so called angler/sportsmen with long handled nets kicking the steelhead out of the holes so the could net them with long handled nets. One guy would have a fishing rod making them look legal.

I was trying to teach my son how to trout fish in a small stream one time when I had to threaten a guy doing the same thing with his kids with him. Nice way to teach your kids how to poach fish. I actually followed him to his car to get his license plate number.

#4 ·
1-800-292-7800 is in my grey matter memory bank not my phone. If you see it report it, no sense endangering lives of others for those deekhead poachers. You argument is not all that different from the anti 2nd Amendment argument put forth by the gun grabbers if you think it through. Penalizing law abiding folks for what criminals may do is never right...NEVER.

Reactions: ESOX
#7 ·
Sorry I did not mention that this happened a along time before cell phones and the rap line. I quit fishing the Platte after seeing so much of this going on. That was the only tme I had it happen on a small stream but I am sure it was going on.

I still stand my by feelings that it is a big mistake and this type of poaching will happen more. Especially with the way sportsman ship is today.

#8 ·
The older generation of super violators you speak of has died out. While violating still occurs on a small scale, it’s nothing compared to the common acceptance of violating that was the norm in the 1970’s and 80’s.

We allow bow hunters to walk along streams, even though guys shooting arrows at spawning salmon was common 30 years ago.

#17 · (Edited)
No it don't, an invasive species is an invasive species, no matter what my age is. GEEZ, you should know that.
The salmon industry generates $10’s of millions of dollars in multiple states. Poaching the resource is short sighted enough, openly promoting it on the Internet is just plain dumb and shows your age. You not seeing it perfectly illustrates that.

Reactions: Sparky23
#18 ·
The salmon industry generates $10’s of millions of dollars in multiple states. Poaching the resource is short sighted enough, openly promoting it on the Internet is just plain dumb and shows your age. You not seeing it perfectly illustrates that.

No, I don't like poaching. I say make it legal. Just because it brings in money does not mean it's the best idea. Carp were brought in too. Carp and mudsharks are about the same in my book.

How old are you anyway, 13 or 14? That's about what you sound like, a teenage boy working up the balls to break away from his dad. It's time to get past the generation silliness.

I doubt very much that you spend as much time on conservation efforts as I do. You are clueless about how I feel about the "resource".

#19 ·
No, I don't like poaching. I say make it legal. Just because it brings in money does not mean it's the best idea. Carp were brought in too. Carp and mudsharks are about the same in my book.

How old are you anyway, 13 or 14? That's about what you sound like, a teenage boy working up the balls to break away from his dad. It's time to get past the generation silliness.

I doubt very much that you spend as much time on conservation efforts as I do. You are clueless about how I feel about the "resource".
More ridiculousness from you...not sure if your really that one minded or just love stirring a pot. Lets also wipe out browns...steelhead...pheasants...and all the remaining lake trout since they are not the native michigan species. Old squaws arent really truley native either right...only here because of an invasive. I doubt you mind burning them up. All carp right..another non native.

#25 ·
How long did it take the DNR to finally admit why the Sichuan pheasant deal was a failure. There was plenty of cover in Ottawa county where they planted them at the time. Field after field of nothing but grass, weeds and brush for cover. This was also before they took out all of the fence rows. Plenty of good habitat.

They finally admitted it was PREDATATION!!!

A classmate of mine was the head of the Ionia recreation area when the pheasant put and take releases were going on there back in the 80's. He said they would release some and a lot of the time they would beat them back to the road as they had been raised in pens with no cover so they did not know how to handle the cover. This might have been part of the problem with the failure of the Sichuan program.

We used to have a few coveys of quail back in the late 50's east of Shelby. The habitat did not change but they disappeared. It might have been from the harder winters or the explosion of the fox population. The fox over population was take care of by mother nature in the late 60's with a mange out break.

#26 ·
Interestingly enough, on my way home from fishing yesterday morning there was a covey of quail with a bunch of chicks next to the state land by my house near Portland. I haven't seen a wild quail in MI in over a decade. Pretty cool. I too wish we had pheasants.

#27 ·
Seems to be a small population in barry ct as well. I seem to see a few in a 10 mile area every few years. Broke my heart a few years ago i stopped to look at on with chicks and one more chick hadmt made it across amd in my shock i was starring to hard at mom amd others and hit one. Theres an area in allegan that has some too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.