Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

OffShore vs. Church in-line board

20K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  gatorman841 
#1 ·
Added a 2 more boards to the trolling spread this year. Because I had an old OffShore board I added a new OffShore board to the spread so things would match. For planers I now have 6 Church and 2 Offshore boards.

My observations on the differences so far are the following:
- Offshore plane to the side further ahead of and closer to the boat than the Church boards.
- Offshore pull a bit harder, require little more drag to keep board from “clicking” use the clicker to detect strikes
- Easier to detect fish in the Church board (granted we have been using them for a longer period of time)
- Both boards catch fish the same.
-Church boards are easier to remove from the line when reeling in fish, did not loose any fish that could attribute to either design.

Suprise for me was that the Offshore boards pulled harder than the Church boards. Seems that both will work nearly the same and it comes down to the same old argument like Chevy vs. Ford or Bud vs. Miller.

#3 ·
Added a 2 more boards to the trolling spread this year. Because I had an old OffShore board I added a new OffShore board to the spread so things would match. For planers I now have 6 Church and 2 Offshore boards.

My observations on the differences so far are the following:
- Offshore plane to the side further ahead of and closer to the boat than the Church boards.
- Offshore pull a bit harder, require little more drag to keep board from “clicking” use the clicker to detect strikes
- Easier to detect fish in the Church board (granted we have been using them for a longer period of time)
- Both boards catch fish the same.
-Church boards are easier to remove from the line when reeling in fish, did not loose any fish that could attribute to either design.

Suprise for me was that the Offshore boards pulled harder than the Church boards. Seems that both will work nearly the same and it comes down to the same old argument like Chevy vs. Ford or Bud vs. Miller.
Bud is a weiser choice imho.

#9 ·
On the new style offshore boards the lead weight is made to be adjusted, and you can move the back screw eye to make the board plane out further with heavier gear. They will pull up to 150' copper. I like both boards I do prefer the church flex clip releases over the rubber pad releases.

#10 ·
I've been using Church boards for years, and absolutely love them. I never really knew how much I loved them until I fished a couple other boats with Off-Shores. Much easier and faster to attach/detach. No releases flopping around. Fixed release and spring loaded pin. No easier than that. There may be other pro's and con's when it comes to pulling cranks, dipseys, jets, etc. . . but I mostly fish BB's and crawler harnesses at 1.4 mph, and they work perfectly for that style of fishing.

#15 ·
I run the Church TX-22's with the adjustable flags. I like having the option to stall the boards & they still stay upright.I prefer them to the walleye boards. They can pull just about anything. I run them with the lockjaw clips.

#16 ·
I'm confused on this one. From what I've seen, Offshore boards drag back further when using heavy pulling baits.
I don’t adjust Church boards, run the weight at “0” for everything. The Offshore seem to grab more water from my boat. Think they ride a bit lower in the water and pull a bit harder. Just my observations.

Would be willing to trade anyone two Offshore boards for two Church boards if interested.

#18 ·
I have big boards on a mast. Church and Offshore inlines. I find all boards to be a necessary evil, just a PITA. If I KNOW I'm going to troll all day, my first choice is the Big Jon mast I modified to fit in the bow seat base and big boards. So much easier to fight fish. But usually we cast or jig or do something else, and the mast and boards are just in the way on my little boat, so it's inlines. In smaller boards I prefer the Offshore for walleye, easier to read for light fish, and we can easily snap the line out of the front clip to facilitate retrieval.. Like big Churches TX44's for pulling muskie baits and setups with a lot of weight like core or big inlines..

#20 ·
I always pull the board in and then disconnect. If I need the fish the fall back behind the other lines, I'll either pull the board high out of the water, or let line out with controlled tension. I simply do not like fighting the board with the fish.

#27 ·
- Offshore plane to the side further ahead of and closer to the boat than the Church boards. AGREE
- Offshore pull a bit harder, require little more drag to keep board from “clicking” use the clicker to detect strikes DISAGREE
- Easier to detect fish in the Church board (granted we have been using them for a longer period of time) DISAGREE
- Both boards catch fish the same. AGREE
-Church boards are easier to remove from the line when reeling in fish, did not loose any fish that could attribute to either design. AGREE
I run both brands and this is what I have observed. Church boards track more level in the water than Offshore, especially in rougher water. Offshore boards tend to get blown down during windier conditions. During a strike, the whole Offshore board tilts back with the flag whereas the Church flag moves more in isolation from the board. Last year Offshore offered an upgrade to level its boards which essentially makes them track more like Church. Lastly, using the rear pin prevents board detachment while fishing.

#28 · (Edited)
I used to use offshore. Had a friend suggest church tackle boards. I had sent a message to the company and the next day bill church (owner) personally called me to answer my questions. A few years later and now im with the national prostaff. I prefer my flags down and to come up when a fish is on. So much easier to read and store. The lever adjustment is simplier and i dont loose springs.
All the people that work at church are great and they are made right in sodus Michigan. You can call them anytime and they are quick to ship anything you need. Not too forget they have a larger selection and are lower priced than the competition. Also, when you buy the pro packs, eveything you need and could want is already in the package, no upgrading necessary.

#30 ·
Gator boards are junk .Know of one guy that lost 2 of them when they came unhooked and sank , yes sank !!!!
Others have had severe problems with the clips as well .
The Opti boards are better for a budget board .Gator Boards are the same price Frank's sell the Offshore boards for with the upgraded clips and tattle flag. Funny to hear they say the Offshore boards are 70.00 a piece after the Upgrades when 2 Upgraded Offshores are 69.99 from Frank's lmao !!!

Pure Chinese Junk !!!

Dwayne

#38 ·
Which Church boards do you guys prefer for bottom bouncers with harnesses? Or for pulling cranks? Do you take a one size fits all approach or do you have different sizes for different uses? Just looking for some opinions, I'm going to add to my collection and wanted to get some input. Thanks everyone

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
TX-22’s with tattle flags are my preference. In all honesty I use them for all my trolling on LSC and have never had an issue. BB’s, online weights, crankbaits.

#35 ·
Offshore boards last forever and run amazing.I always put a black o r 16 clip the big black one in front and they come off with a flick of yout thumb never lose a board.Some guys use the orange clips so you can snap back on the rod and they fall back behind your spread.Ill bet more than 80% of all pro walleye fisherman use offshore.Also offshore boards don't cost 70 bucks a board that's crazy talk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.