Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

L'Anse Creuse Bay 5/16

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave636 
#1 ·
16 walleye. 10-13 FOW. Water temp was 58 when we started and I saw 60 before the end of the day. Visibility was almost 5’ and green. All crankbaits, trolling speed usually 2.3 - as challenged by Lance Valentine. Nothing caught under 2.0 or over 2.5 mph, #Walleye101Member

#6 ·
Nice haul. I have to admit I would never think of pulling cranks that fast for walleye, shows what I know.
Trolling over 2.0 is NOT NORMAL for me either. Most of my trolling for the past few years has been about 1.5 so 2.3 is a big change. One immediate observation is that my kicker gets to run a bit faster and never missed a beat at that higher speed.

#9 ·
We used to pull cranks in Erie all the time for walleyes all summer before I primarily switched to pulling spinners. We trolled anywhere from 2.2 - 3+ depending on how they were biting. One July, near the islands, we had been trolling cranks most of the morning w/o much luck so I decided to real mine in to change baits. As I was reeling it in, BAM, got a fish. Turned out to be a 5 lb walleye. We decided to kick our speed up to 3.5-4 mph and we started smacking them left and right. Smallies and walleyes, all nice fish.

In the early Spring, you need to be less than 2 mph, however, as the water warms, you can go faster. At Wheatley, I have found that the optimal speed for walleyes is typically around 2.5 - 2.8 pulling spoons, with Steelies preferring it faster, 2.8 - 3.5. Same should apply for cranks. Your mileage may vary. :)

#11 ·
anyone get out there today? couldn't find a walleye to save my life this morning. tried harnesses and cranks speeds from 1.3-2.0, finally put on some flicker shads and got a couple smallies. Have been doing pretty good out there the past week. Wondering if today was an off day or was it me. Going back out there in the morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.