Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Warming up the engine in cold weather

4K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  jakeo 
#1 ·
Just installed the Mercury Smartcraft mobile on the Verado primarily to monitor the engine temp to >120-140 degrees in the cold water and to have fuel information since the fuel gauge that came with the boat has never worked since day 1.

Thought this was a good video.

#4 ·
I've never warmed up any motor, from cars and trucks to boats or ice augers, lol....maybe a little on the truck if it's 10 degrees out....but outboards ?....a minute tops, lol....right, wrong, smart or dumb ?....guess I should watch the video, lol....cheers....

#5 ·
Watched the vid. :)....if you think it's cold at 40 degrees, ya don't live in the north....lol....but if "modern" engines are that fragile there's something wrong with that !....cheers....

#8 ·
I defiantly let the motor warm up when it’s cold out. More important with the two Stokes’s so that the pistons can expand before you hammer down. It’s usually warm by the time someone gets back from parking the truck or by the time you make it from the launch to the lake. This guy takes it a lot further than I would. If I had a temp gauge I would let it get to 100 before letting it eat

#10 ·
maybe one of those warranty things? Gotta baby the stuff to keep warranty or something, I dunno... I guess if i were set on getting the most life out of my stuff I would follow manuf recommendations for everything.

My 2 stroke... It warms up as long as it takes for me to go from dock to parking spot and back to dock.
Funny thing is my 2 stroke is late 80's 90hp merc loves the cold weather...starts up on the first crank normally. Last year had ignition problems but figured it was the old battery that came with the boat...Like DD said if shes chuggin just gotta give it some time but normally 1-2 mins and im good to go.

#11 ·
Just installed the Mercury Smartcraft mobile on the Verado primarily to monitor the engine temp to >120-140 degrees in the cold water and to have fuel information since the fuel gauge that came with the boat has never worked since day 1.

Thought this was a good video.

I agree on the gas gauge - only way to get a full tank is to fill up on the water...

#13 ·
Yes I wish I equipped the boat with the Smartcraft gauges when I bought the boat but it didn't cross my mind. This app also provide me number of hours on the boat which I think is nice to have.

I just think it is a good idea to warm your engine in the spring. Also, after you make a long drift say 45 minutes that engine is back down to 35-40 degrees. Then you hit the hammer to 4,500 RPMs? I saw a post about a guy that blew his engine down in Ecorse and it was probably because he did not warm it up.

#17 · (Edited)
I didnt now you could rig a Verado with the gauges. When I bought my boat I had the option of the 150 Verado or 150 Fourstroke and went with the Fourstroke knowing that Vessel View mobile was coming out and was much cheaper than the network and SC gauge. Almost every launch I go to has a slow no wake zone. Usually get the motor thru those points and hammer down. If I am jumping spot to spot I wait for the initial fast idle to clear and off I go. 3 years and 300 hours and no issues. Last boat had a 2001 Mercury 4 stroke and was operated the same way and was fine when I sold it with over 1500hrs

#16 ·
I have 4 strokes that are 2012 or newer. Considering the more modern designs and advancements in oil technology, these engines are fine without considerable warning. We start and idle right away after unloading and just take it easy for the first few minutes. At the end of the channel or whatever it's fine to get up on plane but shouldn't red line at that point . That said at least get the oil distributed well and the chamber warmed well.

#24 ·
While I don't think putting the hammer down immediately after launching in 20 degree temps and 38 degree water temps is appropriate. In 50+ years of boating the great lakes haven't seen nor heard of any seize ups due to powering up after a few minutes of idle to the lake/river.

You'd be surprised how fast metal inside an engine warms due to friction even @ 600 rpms.

Sitting around warming the engine may be over thinking it.

#26 ·
Specific to 4 strokes, I use to race short track oval, (in my days before kids, lots of fishing has replaced that hobby). Any way my engine machine shop made a good point i hadnt thought of, your water temp may be up but your oil also needs to be warmed before really putting it to the wood. You will notice your oil pressure may be much higher at idle on a cold engine as compared to a warm one. Thats because your oil is cold and thick. I always baby my motors in cold weather until i feel they are fully warmed. But im also a little nutty on taking care of my crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.