Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Holland Starting Point

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Lakavea2 
#1 ·
Looking for a little help. I pick up my first boat this week and can't wait to join the ranks on the water. Grew up on LSC and currently live in Howell. Been acquiring gear to run west and try my hand at the Coho run. What would be a good ramp to get started, not looking for hot spots or secret locations, just looking for where I can drive easily too and drop the boat, bringing the kids so want something easy. I know it will be a learning curve, salmon trolling vs. walleye jigging are totally different games.

#8 ·
If you launch at the DNR launch at Holland, run SSW about half way to the south shore, then take a hard right and line up on the channel. There's a point on the north side of the lake coming out of the bay that launch is in, and it stays shallow for a long time off that point.

You can run all the way to the channel if the no wake buoys are not out yet.

Port Sheldon also has a "point" on the north side, and slow no wake hours. A sign at the launch can explain the details of the no wake.

#16 ·
I think when it was mentioned above to avoid the launch after 11am on weekends, that was not in reference to you and your launching/retrieving skills, Wtsncp...It was in reference to the CIRCUS that goes on there with everyone and their jet skis and ski boats. They'll be lined down the road waiting to launch and it leads to some jack wagons launching at the retrieve docks and things can get crazy. I'll admit I about throttled a guy one morning that just started backing his Checkmate down the ramp to launch at a retrieve dock as I was almost to it. I kept it clean, because I respected the fact they had two children with them, but I let him know what I thought of his tactics the whole time his silicone infused wife was telling me to, "Please be quiet, please be quiet, please be quiet." She must have been a librarian! Haha

We fish out of Holland exclusively. I don't pay attention to the radio much as it's just useless jabber and false info but feel free to call for the "Salmon Smoker". If I'm standing by, I'll answer. Good luck!!!

#17 ·
Thanks Kearnly

Had the motor break in this past Sunday on the Detroit River, all went well, I was very pleased with NOT backing up the ramp when dropping the boat (one step at a time). can't wait to get over to your side later this month. I know once I get out there and take my time, I will be able to get a fishable spread out. I will hit a local bait store make the owner very happy with the open ended question of "what should I buy". I do have a starter set but one can never have enough gear. I think I may have a guy who lives on that side that may come with me to help the learning curve.

#19 ·
I think when it was mentioned above to avoid the launch after 11am on weekends, that was not in reference to you and your launching/retrieving skills, Wtsncp...It was in reference to the CIRCUS that goes on there with everyone and their jet skis and ski boats. They'll be lined down the road waiting to launch and it leads to some jack wagons launching at the retrieve docks and things can get crazy. I'll admit I about throttled a guy one morning that just started backing his Checkmate down the ramp to launch at a retrieve dock as I was almost to it. I kept it clean, because I respected the fact they had two children with them, but I let him know what I thought of his tactics the whole time his silicone infused wife was telling me to, "Please be quiet, please be quiet, please be quiet." She must have been a librarian! Haha

We fish out of Holland exclusively. I don't pay attention to the radio much as it's just useless jabber and false info but feel free to call for the "Salmon Smoker". If I'm standing by, I'll answer. Good luck!!!
Correct. It is like a 3 ring circus with no ring leader. I have found that most pleasure boaters only care about themselves. It is painful to watch them tie up a dock as they load the boat connect the battery put up the bimini or tower.

In my experience the fisherman get down to business and help each other out.

Port Sheldon is usually not as bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.