Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Best knife?

13K views 87 replies 57 participants last post by  J Eberhart 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I bought a $10 clearance gerber gut hook fixed blade knife about 7 years ago. Since then it has seen double digit gut jobs. The cheap vinyl sheath it came with has since fallen apart but the knife itself is just fine and holds an outstanding edge. I expect, short of losing it, I’ll be using it for many years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
#16 ·
Looks or function? I have no idea what kind of knife it was but my dad carried the same pocket knife for as long as I can remember, close to 50 years, 365 days/year. Rattling around in his pocket with keys and change the bone sides wore off so he fashioned new ones out of wood, several times that I know of. He could field dress a deer with that thing as fast or faster than anyone I know and small game cleaned PDQ. That thing was always sharp as a fillet knife because of quick touchups on a regular basis. I sure wish I knew where that priceless old knife was so I could pass it on to the next generation.

To me, memories are what eventually makes a favorite hunting knife. FM

#19 ·
Looks or function? I have no idea what kind of knife it was but my dad carried the same pocket knife for as long as I can remember, close to 50 years, 365 days/year. Rattling around in his pocket with keys and change the bone sides wore off so he fashioned new ones out of wood, several times that I know of. He could field dress a deer with that thing as fast or faster than anyone I know and small game cleaned PDQ. That thing was always sharp as a fillet knife because of quick touchups on a regular basis. I sure wish I knew where that priceless old knife was so I could pass it on to the next generation.

I also have carried the same pocket knife for longer then I can remember. It's a little buck knife .

#24 ·
Natural material Tool Musical instrument Office supplies Nickel
This has been my knife since 84.A bushmaster 602 4 inch fixed blade.It is still the sharpest knife at camp.It has been shown no mercy.Guts and skins great,and splits up the brisket with force on the steel,quartering,then remove back straps cleanly.Clean a lot of deer over the years and wings a legs off birds.The fact that it made it though my youth is amazing. The only other knife I am proud to own is my wusthof dreizak classic kitchen knife.I am no expert but these two knifes are my sharpest and the oldest.
Natural material Tool Musical instrument Office supplies Nickel

#26 ·

Knowing how to maintain a knife is the key as much as the quality of the steel.Keep the edge true and it lasts forever. Your father knew this.

#28 ·
Another vote for Rapid River Knifeworks. They are very high quality materials and workmanship...made right here in Rapid River, Michigan...and they will sharpen them for you for free for as long as you own the knife.

I have a filet knife which I just keep for display and here is my go-to hunting knife:

Wood Knife Natural material Tool Hardwood

The "Bear Babe" - That would be my wife, Elaine. A friend bought this one for her when she set him up on a bear hunt. After cleaning it this year (after dressing out her bear) she sprayed it with some sort of household disinfectant and the ink ran. The next time we go to Rapid River Knifeworks she will drop it off and see if they can fix it.

Wood Knife Tool Everyday carry Bicycle saddle

I was also very fond of this Buck 444C which I carried daily for probably 25 years. The blade has been sharpened so many times it has shrunk some but the coups de gras was when the lock-back feature broke on it and I was forced to retire it. I love this knife so much I have even considered sending it in to Buck to see if they can fix it for me, but I'm guessing they would likely tell me I already got my money's worth out of it ...which I certainly did.

Tool Knife Wood Blade Composite material

#29 ·
I have to agree with those of you who chimed in on the "sentimental value" of a particular knife - usually the one used by your father - or maybe grandfather. My dad's deer hunting knife wasn't anywhere near the quality of those built today, but it did have some antler bone on it...it looked very much like a deer hunting knife and dad used that knife for probably 50 years. Can't find a photo of it right now but when my dad passed I took it over and carried it for a year or two and dressed out a deer or two with it. I decided to pass it on to my younger brother. He was really excited to receive it. After dressing out a deer or two with it he passed it on to his son whom I'm sure has also dressed out a deer or two with it. Can't help but think that Dad is smiling down from the happy hunting grounds of heaven...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.