Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Making Crawler Harnesses

18K views 80 replies 27 participants last post by  UNCLE AL 
#1 ·
Guys, I am going to do some tying over the winter and I am looking to do my crawler harnesses. I was wondering what your favorite combos were and what size hooks, blades, clevises you all used? Also looking for input on where you get your supplies. Thanks in advance for your help. Any other input is welcome as I am really looking to have some fun with this!

#45 ·
Personally, its only quality. There are a TON of patterns out there. But some are just scams... Buy a good blade pattern you like - tie away and don't worry... I have a couple where I learned this - they were like plastic and came off... Others are great - bulletproof :) Part of the fun / challenge is colors of the blade, but part of it is the creation of the "spinner bait" - try - have fun!

#48 ·
I do. I have fished with 2 and or three single hooks but since I have been using a treble trailer, I seem to catch more. I only hook the night crawler by it's nose on the single front hook and let it stretch out. I feel the treble become more like a stinger then. It works great for me. I really like the quick-change clevis that I use too. I have tried all the different quick-clevises out there but I have never lost a blade since I started using this one.

#54 ·
Folded metal clevis’ I was considering the plastics but since I decided to tie 100 or so I did see it necessary to do them[/QUOTE

Good move, you won't regret it. If you paint your own like I do or buy your blades, they are the most expensive part of the harness. Nothing worst than loosing a hot coloured blade and it just happens to be the last one you have in the box that day

#61 · (Edited)
View attachment 291080 Here is the latest batch with some customs I picked up last night at the Ultimate Fishing Show!
You're getting better; much better. Don't forget smaller blades #3/3.5s they are deadly in certain conditions. Put a Hildebrandt 3.5 or 4 silver on the first one; that is my Dads go to he had a river rat at Great Lake Steel make up a bunch of that pattern for him to use every summer around Sugar. I like the last one. It looks fishy before and during a mayfly hatch. A guy at the show picked up a big sandwich bag of purple beads and a handful of those types of blades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.