Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Enclosed trailer - Aluminum or Steel

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  cronkdre 
#1 ·
So I'm finally about to pull the trigger on a new 7x14 tandem axle to replace my 6x12. I was all ready to go aluminum frame to save weight and avoid rust when the guy selling the trailers recommended I go steel because he said the aluminum ones tend to crack and aren't nearly as durable. Now I'm really second guessing my decision.

Anybody have experience with both or have any issues with aluminum cracking over time? We drive into almost all of our fields so it will get bounced around a bit. That's also why I like saving the weight with aluminum if I'm in muddy fields (I can drag my 6x12 thru just about anything the truck will go thru). The trailer is used 3-4 times a week September thru feb including a trip out west but will sit in my barn the rest of the year. My current steel frame is showing the rust from the road salt and I like the idea of saving weight and no rust.

#4 ·
When I told him I wanted aluminum he is the one that brought up the concern of them cracking and welds breaking when I told him what I'd be using it for.

He's not really a salesman, he owns a small trailer repair and custom building trailer shop. I know him thru a friend of a friend and he said he could order me one. In his 20+ years of repairing trailers he said aluminum trailers come in far more than steel with cracked frames and welds.

#3 ·
Drew,
I would go aluminum. I've had both and aluminum is the way to go. Less weight being towed helps with fuel mileage, wear and tear on your truck. I personally haven't heard of any cracking issues. I drive a diesel so weight is already a factor when entering a field. If it's soft enough or I even think I'm going to have issues driving in and out.. The rig is parked and pack-muling gear in starts.

#9 ·
Ha, well it sounds like you luck out big time on the truck part. Personally I would prefer aluminum, like I said I never heard of cracking and I've owned a few enclosed trailers and a lot of friends and family also.

I HIGHLY recommend a V-nose over flat front.
It will definately be a v nose. Only reason I'm even getting a new one is to get a little more space for putting the quad in there. Don't have anymore room with the quad and 12 dozen full bodies.

#7 ·
Dont know who you have talked to , but give AJAX Trailers a call ! they are straight up GOOD GUYS ! been using them for over 15yrs, i pull a 16 ft cargo trailer almost every day !
one thing to make sure and get are the EXTRA Beams in the bottom ....like the Lawn Care guys get !!!!
Ajax is in Warren ,MI. Phone 586-757-7676

#8 ·
Forgot to say ....... not sure if they even sell trailers any more ,,, BUT will lead you in the correct direction of your purchase ! Again a couple of great guys !! These guys serviced my trailer & my brothers for YEARS also many Bread vendors,,ect ........

#10 ·
The only thing I can add is regarding the tongue - you do not want that to be aluminum. And that comes from a guy that fabricates aluminum for a living. When I was looking for a trailer for a 23' boat I did note that a fair percentage of the all aluminum trailers had a galvanized tongue so I'm gathering there must be some credence to that.

#11 ·
Good suggestion thank you. I will have to inquire about the tongue. I'm leaning towards going steel anyway at this point.
The main reason I wanted aluminum was the weight savings but I stopped by another place Friday and they spec'ed out both and the aluminum only saved me a little over 100lbs. I know they have to add more material but I expected it to save me in the 3-400 lb range. May just get the steel undercoated and paint over it with some POR15.

#12 ·
So I'm finally about to pull the trigger on a new 7x14 tandem axle to replace my 6x12. I was all ready to go aluminum frame to save weight and avoid rust when the guy selling the trailers recommended I go steel because he said the aluminum ones tend to crack and aren't nearly as durable. Now I'm really second guessing my decision.

Anybody have experience with both or have any issues with aluminum cracking over time? We drive into almost all of our fields so it will get bounced around a bit. That's also why I like saving the weight with aluminum if I'm in muddy fields (I can drag my 6x12 thru just about anything the truck will go thru). The trailer is used 3-4 times a week September thru feb including a trip out west but will sit in my barn the rest of the year. My current steel frame is showing the rust from the road salt and I like the idea of saving weight and no rust.
Try. R&R trailers out of Threerivers Mi. I shopped and shopped , good quality no middleman, I am very happy with my trailer There's a lot of cheaply made trailers being sold out there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.