Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Happy Troller Trolling plate

3K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Big Kahuna59 
#1 ·
Bent up my trolling plate one to many times. Been trying to find a replacement plate. Non of the usual places have one (ie Franks, Northwoods) Anybody see any around or better yet have an old one they aren't using anymore that I could purchase? Its the larger plate for over 50hp motors. I'd buy a different brand but I have the hardware all setup for the Happy.
Thanks

#3 ·
I hear ya. I just am used to running a plate and have used it about 10 years now. Bent it up a couple times but always could bend it back and still use it. However not this time. I've actually tried a sock before but on my small boat it seemed to take up space and get in my way.

#4 ·
All the online dealers have them Sportsman's Guide, Amazon, Overton's, Cabelas and ebay.

Reactions: andyotto
#14 ·
Bent up my trolling plate one to many times. Been trying to find a replacement plate. Non of the usual places have one (ie Franks, Northwoods) Anybody see any around or better yet have an old one they aren't using anymore that I could purchase? Its the larger plate for over 50hp motors. I'd buy a different brand but I have the hardware all setup for the Happy.
Thanks
I like the plates a lot, I even put one on my 10 hp kicker. You can really hit some slow speeds with that setup. Cabelas appears to have them, a couple weeks ago they had $20 off a $100 purchase coupons.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/The-...gclid=CKXOyajahdQCFQGqaQodjG4E7Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I tried drift socks first, they're kind of a pain in the rear. Run 1 straight back and it's in the way. Run 1 on each side and the boat occasionally does a crazy Ivan. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good crazy Ivan from time to time. Keeps the other fishermen honest.

#18 ·
I love my drift bags. One one each side tied off on front cleat so the from of bag just goes under the surface a couple inches. Then tie off rear to rear cleat so all of bag is straight and underwater, but tight enough to keep from swinging out from boat. They work great and keep boat more stable also in the waves. Less surging forward also when rougher. Never in the way like this since the bags are about midship :).

#15 ·
I had one and I drilled a large hole inline with the hub, it helped take some pressure off it. I had to have mine reinforced a couple times before that. The hole seemed to help. I also painted mine orange so it was easy to see and make sure it was flipped up before I took off.

#31 ·
Troll-a-matic. Spring loaded love it and i think they are still made in michigan
My brother-in-law has a troll-a-matic on his big (25') great lakes boat and told me it only reduces his speed by about 0.2 mph. I was going to buy one for my 50hp Merc until I heard that. I need to cut my idle speed by over 1 mph to troll crawler harnesses.

#36 ·
Thanks
check craigslist several on the site

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.