Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Happiness and heartbreak

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave Ash 
#1 ·
I am two days removed from my latest capture. I have spent my morning reflecting on this fish as the session just passed has opened Pandora’s Box for the remainder of my spring. I am getting ahead of myself a bit as some of you may be questioning how Greek mythology relates to Dave Ash and carp fishing. “Pandora's box is an artifact in Greek mythology, taken from the myth of Pandora's creation in Hesiod's Works and Days. The "box" was actually a large jar given to Pandora which contained all the evils of the world. Pandora opened the jar and all the evils flew out, leaving only "Hope" inside once she had closed it again. This session would be my opening of Pandora’s Box.
This past Saturday, I braved the bi-polar Michigan weather and headed out to for a semi-planned session. The week prior I had stowed my gear along with the new big yellow bait boat ( 9’ Frenzy Ocean Kayak). I out the door a bit before sunrise planning on fishing the WSCC cove swim. Over the years I have spent many of days in the cove enjoying decent numbers and nice weather. Saturday however was different, the wind was whipping from the North East around 15-20 MPH and was blowing coffee colored water head on into the area I intended to fish. I spent the better part of a half hour looking for any fish movements across the open water part of the swim. After an uneventful half-hour I decided to head off to better pastures. I spent the next hour and a half checking swims that I had marked in the map book only to find something I did not fancy in each of them. I decided after much internal strife that I would settle on a swim that was still in the chilling bite of the wind, but had a nice area that was out of the wind.
Set up always seems to take forever, and it was no different in this session. I had packed light, not knowing where or how I was going to fish. This ended up biting me in the butt later, but that was a whole new surprise for later in the session. I took a quick paddle out in the bait boat to put down some bait and locate a nice 5 foot shelf that dropped into the main basin. The swim has pretty heavy cover on both sides, with a set of docks to the right and some heavy cement slabs to the left. I figured in the interest of my personal sanity I would only fish two rods. One rod was placed on the shelf with a nice bed of maize, sweet corn and hemp and the other rod I would fish to different spots around the swim. The rods spent the day fishing within 50 yards which was easy casting. Just beyond the drop off a small armada of boats were fishing walleye.
The morning was less than exciting, as I rebated every forty- five minutes placing the one rod back on the shelf. Over the years I have tried many of baits, loving some and loathing the rest. I have been gung-ho over Nash boilies, but have struggled to find a good flavor for my corn hook baits. On the recommendation of a peer, I settled with the Mainline Scopex which smells AMAZING. The shelf rod was fishing a small corn stack on a basic hair rod with a pop up topper on a size 4 Gamakatsu. The shelf rod buzzed off amid my bacon sandwich breakfast. Sandwich in hand I ran to the rod to lay into my first carp from this new swim. This first fish found its way to the net and I reset the rod as the fish rested in the net. Although this fish was not the monster I had hoped, it had me grinning ear to ear. I have to admit every fish that is not a catfish make me this way, but this one was a bit more considering it was from a new swim. Photos and a bit of time in the sling and she was back off to the deep to be caught another day.
With a decent storm in the distance, and the skies turning a eerie shade of gray, I started to pack away any non-essential pieces of gear. I had just loaded the bait boat into the truck and the shelf rod screams away. I spring back to the rod to feel a heavy fish making its way off the shelf and into deep water. The line continued to peel off the reel and I knew I was in for something special. The fish made one big roll on the surface and I almost lost my mind as this was a true monster. What I didn’t realize was I was about experience special kind of heartbreak. The fish went on another long run and found its way into some form of snag. I tried to gently work the fish out of the snag only to have the zebras break my spirit as the rod went limp. I said a few choice words and figured I could get another hour of fishing in before the storms hit. Well, in trying to pack light, I cleaned out my travel bag and was missing lead inserts. I fished with one rod for another hour on the shelf without another take. As the rain started to come down, it was time to get while the getting was good and I made my grand exit back to being a daddy and a husband.

In a matter of seconds a new box was opened. No matter how I try to play off how “ok” I am with losing a big fish that one stings a little. Loosing this fish opened up a new page in my carp angling. The next month will be nothing but hard work and dedication to building a swim in hopes that I may get a shot at redemption. Although I am still heartbroken, there is “hope” that I will get another shot at that fish.

The baiting campaign starts now!

Interested in trying Euro style carp fishing? Let me know!!

Water Photograph White Black Fisherman

Water Water resources Natural environment Wood Black-and-white

Drinkware Cup Serveware Ingredient Water

See less See more
#6 ·
The one that haunts me I never even got to see.It took my bait and went on a run.I couldn't even slow it down.Ended up spooling my reel and breaking off.I know what a 36" fish feels like.I know what a 42" fish feels like.This monster had to have been a 48" plus fish.Try as I may I couldn't get it to turn or slow down.It was like hooking my line to a freight train.

#12 ·
You never know what can be out there. Had that happen in a narrow 5'-6' deep creek/canal in the thumb once.
Fishing smallmouth with crawler harness, bobber and 12# test at the reed edges, a huge fish spooled me, broke off and continued towards the mouth into the lake. There was a very shallow sand bar there and as it crossed through the 12" deep water saw I saw it was a sturgeon, looked to be 10"-12" wide and at least 5' or more.

#11 ·
I had thought " swim" derived from the use of swim feeders. A device that leaks chum/ bait at a slow rate producing scent but not enough meal to satisfy.

Anyway , Dave : you are mad. In more ways than one.....
Keep at it ,your white whale is real.

#10 ·
In a parallel universe, it's an TU / Orvis thing.

When a ******* like me goes carpin, we use doughballs made from white bread. Thornapple carp were not that educated and loved em.

Seriously though, Dave, I love your posts and the intensity you have for your pursuit. Nothing like a 10 lb carp on 6 lb test...except for a 20 lb'er.

#13 ·
Junkman... I have... its ... well not the most enjoyable taste. It works though.

I'm working up 400# of chum to put in this week.

Chili flavor corn, hemp and birdseed.

Organism Citrus Rangpur Natural foods Fruit

Here is the rig I used most of last week. The baits are 20mm/15mm with a size 4 hook.

By the end of the week, I was up to size 2 hook with 24mm/20mm baits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.