Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Hi-Power 40,000 mile tune up...Glock 26 etc.

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  ESOX 
#1 · (Edited)
Things have been kind of slow on this forum lately so I thought I'd gin things up a bit ;) .

I was slaving away on my yard today - fixing up my deck, shredding leaves, branches and other left over winter detritus, starting up the lawn mower etc. when I got a call from my pistolero buddy: "Let's go down to our pistol club I've got a new one and you'll love it." Off we go, sign in, get in our lanes and he pulls out of his range bag a mini Glock 26.

Well I must admit he shot it exceedingly well at about five - seven yards. He is a very disciplined and very good pistol shot and quite able to move from one style of handgun to another and adjust his shooting style accordingly.

Of course I had to try it. Honestly it took me four pulls on the trigger before I could get it to fire. The trigger pull was heavy and spongy and had to be between 12 and 14 lbs. I kept looking for a safety that I had inadvertently left on :rolleyes: . My first two shots were all over the target and the third was finally in the bullseye. My buddy walked over to my lane and with a grin on his face chuckled, "What do you think of the trigger ?" On the drive home he was already surfing for Glock trigger kits.

As most of you know while I'm no fan of black striker fired pistols I've shot many with nice triggers - FN, Walther etc. but this Glock trigger was atrocious. I have no doubt that with some work this would make a decent poodle shooter but it's painful for me to imagine some newbie walking into a Gander Mountain (if they're still in business) and walking out with one of these thinking he's all set to go with a "shootable" CC pistol.

On a lighter note my favored MKIII Hi-Power was starting to get a little glitchy. I was getting a failure to eject every hundred rounds or so - this was with my mixed-bag "brass rat" reloads not with new Starline stuff. I bought this well used pistol about twelve years ago and it probably has an estimated 35,000 - 45,000 rounds thru it (???) So time for a tune-up. New magazine springs, new extractor including a stout BH Springs Solution* extractor spring, new ejector and a new recoil and firing pin spring. Really felt good to be able to do this sort of maintenance myself. Three hundred and fifty rounds in the last two days (slow fire, rapid fire and everything in between) without a glitch and it can still put twelve rounds into a half - dollar size bullseye at ten yards. It just wants to "...keeps on trucking'..." :

9mm Hi-Power

*This is evidently somewhat of a new outfit and they make "upgraded" springs for a number of handguns including various tools specific to that handgun. I picked a so-called "third hand hammer block" and a device to make changing the firing pin spring on a HP much easier. A very nice outfit to deal with and they have scads of you-tube videos on the use of their products. At this point they get a strong thumbs up from me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Love my Hi Power too but have to say shot my G26 in a PPC service class match this year and was happily surprised at how well it did. It is an adjustment switching between striker guns and single action hammer actions with crisp match triggers.

Thanks for the tip on BH; have to check out their stuff.

#3 ·
I put a trigger kit in my gen 2 G19. It was a NY police trade in so it had a crazy heavy pull weight so they didn't shoot themselves. Talk about a night and day difference! Plus the one I have shortens the reset and reduces the creep. It's probably a 3 lb pull now.

#4 ·
As most of you know while I'm no fan of black striker fired pistols I've shot many with nice triggers - FN, Walther etc. but this Glock trigger was atrocious. I have no doubt that with some work this would make a decent poodle shooter but it's painful for me to imagine some newbie walking into a Gander Mountain (if they're still in business) and walking out with one of these thinking he's all set to go with a "shootable" CC pistol.
Funny, I've walked out of the gun shop many times with a Glock and it's been shootable right off the bat and still has been. Even funnier thousands of people have done the same.

#5 ·
"Shootable" to some, has a different meaning to others. The majority of those same thousands walk out of their local gun shop with a shiny new plastic box full of goodness, that never see's more than a box of Winchester white box run through it, before being locked away forever. Those same thousands think a 8-10 lb trigger pull is acceptable because it's a ( insert your favorite brand of melted down milk jug weapon here) and it's what the cops all carry.
The small percentage of people who get their CPL, carry on a regular basis and actually shoot their gun don't believe in that same definition of shootable. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many aftermarket dealers out there making a great living selling trigger kits and various other upgrade options for Glocks, Sigs, S&W, 1911's and yes I'm sure the all mighty High Power.

#15 ·
9mm Hi-Power I shot my first Hi Power last Monday night after our pistol league. The guy who had it is a retired Border Patrol officer. It was a Belgium made forget the year but it was an older blued model probably 60-70s vintage? It had little to no wear and looked brand new. I never knew they were a double stack mag? I guess I always thought they were single stack like a 1911. It felt good in the hand, pointed nice and the trigger was very smooth.
I think it may be on my list of guns to own in the future.

#16 ·
9mm Hi-Power I shot my first Hi Power last Monday night after our pistol league. The guy who had it is a retired Border Patrol officer. It was a Belgium made forget the year but it was an older blued model probably 60-70s vintage? It had little to no wear and looked brand new. I never knew they were a double stack mag? I guess I always thought they were single stack like a 1911. It felt good in the hand, pointed nice and the trigger was very smooth.
I think it may be on my list of guns to own in the future.
Hi Powers are absolutely fabulous, either to look at or shoot. There are a couple schools of thought on this, but I will remove the magazine disconnect from any Hi-Power I obtain, as soon as is practical.
But it's not just Hi-Powers, I remove them from Ruger Mark III's, even my sweet old Smith 39 & 59 series......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.