Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Boat control while jigging

11K views 64 replies 26 participants last post by  LLSSt Clair 
#1 ·
First time jigging Friday just South of the Black River. The wind was strong coming up the river. If i gave the Terrova enough thrust to keep the bow pointed down river i was going too fast down river. Whats the secret?

#46 ·
Very big and heavy remote. Plus it's a rechargeable remote so kinda screws ya when it's dead. The smaller remote at least you can swap batteries in 20 seconds
I bought the 2017 Model Ulterra Link and the remote is smaller than last year, maybe 2/3 the size?... yes I have both one for my "old" boat and one for my new boat! Would still be interested in a mini version...

#47 ·
I'd like to get one just for someone else can at least half ass control the boat while I'm taking fish off. I'm assuming both would work when needed while both on and what not but I'd have to have it verified first. Anyone know if you can use original remote and a backup at the same time? Or does it gotta be synced in?

#49 ·
Don't

I don't know... If I was you I would be calling them... they make two micro remotes... one Bluetooth for 2017 units and a similar one for Legacy units mfg 2016 and before. I didn't see if you could use them both basically at the same time. Would be great if they could but I would ask to be sure... Good luck!

#50 ·
I have the older power drive with auto pilot. Still works but I think it's time to go to the terrova with I-pilot. Should have bough one at gander with 15% off! They were last years models at $1,297 before discount so around $1K for the 12 volt, 55 lb, i-pilot with foot pedal and remote. Not sue if the 2017 with new one hand stow and deploy are worth the extra coin?

Does no one run Motor Guide? X5 with GPS, makes vertical jigging cake walk! I use the heading lock. It basically locks your trolling motor to continue on your chosen direction, N,S,E,W and everything in between. Use the same techniques desribed , watching/ chasing line, speed bursts, nautical adjustments. Not only do you have to get used to your TrollMotor you have to learn the rivers and the wind directions as well. I'm a hack at jigging walleye and only started in my own boat the end of last year. Sometimes first hour or three until staying vertical becomes second nature.

#62 ·
Minn Kota has had it for at least 10 years. Motorguide has been way behind in keeping up with Minn Kota. Not sure when they did it but I seen that Motorguide finally offers a bow mount with a composite shaft. Had a buddy that bent his steel shaft on his Motorguide from bumping into one too many tree stumps.

#58 ·
Just to be fair have you used the xi5, to say ulterra all the way I'm wondering what your complaints on the xi5 are besides custumer service. "They just sent me a free remote BTW not bad" Things I like vs the Mk I used to have is this. Virtually silent while turning, spot lock is dead, lost 2 poles over board in the lake and locked down and successfully fished them out. Heading lock with GPS is actually accurate, auto pilot plotting directly on my fish finder. 2 things I dnot like is the sear pin gave me problems upon deployment had to replace, and the remote plastic where it conects to the lanyard is way weak , it broke off after 3rd day. I'm telling you since I installed the xi5 it's like I have a different boat and wind days are nothing to fish in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.