Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Let's Talk Specks

400K views 3K replies 294 participants last post by  stickman1978 
#1 ·
Fellas ... Spring is about to show up. I hunt the allusive Crappie year around. There are places where guys are fishing open water and catching good fish now. What's your personal best Crappie ? What set up is your " go to " when Crappie fishing. Caught an 18 inch in 1989 ... no pictures ... it's true none the less. Always looking to improve and remain teachable when it comes to Crappie fishing. Biggest through the ice this year is 15 1/2 . ( posted in the Genn. County ice thread ) My best fish have come on minnows though I've slammed'em on tubes and twister styled baits as well. What's your best fish ? You favor plastics or meat ( minnows ... waxies ) Feel free to post pictures ... discuss strategies ... or just talk Slabb Crappies :) Looking forward to your posts. Tight Lines ! Cropido aka Ben Out ! :coolgleam

#1,697 ·
Anyone ever try any lakes in Waterford area for crappie? I was thinking of trying maceday lake. Also a buddy of mine tells me he throws little tube jigs out on a 1/16 oz jig head for crappie when they are spawning. Any thoughts?
Lots of good fishing around Waterford. Never tried maceday for specks just trout, but do good on lotus for crappie so I'm sure maceday would be good.

#1,703 ·
Limited out on some gr-8 Gills. Favorite Lake ! Not one Speck :( They are not in their normal spots for this time of year. Gonna change locations and stay after it. I'm only one cast away from a limit of teener Crappie. History has taught me that eventually I will land on them. Tight Lines and thanks for your shariing your success with us. Cropido aka Ben Out !!! :coolgleam

#1,713 ·
Well... you have been a great teacher. I love my boat but I have grown to love the kayak as much. Funny story.... this morning I was catching a combo of gills and crappies. Whenever I had a 12 inch or bigger crappie I would lose it trying to flip it in..I was kicking myself for not bringing the wading net then I remembered your videos that you never use a net... then I realized you pick them up from the water in in the boat. Next 3 slabs made it in the boat!!! Thanks again Frank!!

#1,716 ·
Wood Fish Natural material Ray-finned fish Hardwood
What a epic day to play hooky..released about 15 crappie ..all between 11-15"...seen a angle koi the size of a Volkswagen wagon swim by..never seen him before..then watched a hawk take a dove out of mid air and hit the shallow water..then flew off with it..caught a ton of gills on the worms.minnows did the crappie though...tight lines fellows..ohh ya..and on the way out I found some shrooms..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.