Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

New guy in search of big fish

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  bobberbill 
#1 ·
Moved from Florida to Three Rivers back in August, and am really looking forward to being able to fish regularly again. I am used to fishing the Gulf for reds, snook, and the seasonal tarpon. Not that I don't appreciate a good plate of fried bluegill, but I am wanting to learn to fish for musky in a couple of the local lakes they're in near me. (Austin and Long Lake in Portage and Three Rivers) If there is anybody who doesn't mind sharing any tips or tactics, it would be much appreciated, and would even be willing to take you out on the water with me if we can work out the right schedule. (My 5 year old will be there as well) Not looking for any spots, as I'll put in the work to find them. Thanks in advance!

Adam

#9 ·
Reactions: bobberbill
#11 ·
Thank you for the advice guys. I haven't talked to the guys in D&R, but i will make a point to. And I have checked the DNR website. I know there's a few lakes around, but I want to learn them one at a time to be more productive. And I'm all about handling fish the right way and making sure they're revived before they swim free. The big girls survival is important for my kids to be able to enjoy them later. Did the same with the snook and tarpon in FL. Rewarding to watch them swim away. I've also already experienced the chrome bite as well. I'd love to learn to target those finicky musky. My freezer always went dry during tarpon season! Hope to taken2 of my kids Saturday. Good or bad I'll toss up a report and let y'all know how it went. Thanks guys!

#12 ·
Portage holds some quality crappies. It also has some nice hybrid gills.

If you are in it for the fight and not table fare Michigan offers some quality carp fishing. Pound for pound one of the easiest and hardest fresh water fish available. We also have great steelhead fishing all along the west cost, just a little north of you

#13 ·
I have found some chrome in Berrien Springs!

Carp is another fish I am wanting to target for sure. I have found a couple tanks in Sturgis. Table fare is good, and crappie are great eating, so I will give them a shot for sure. I appreciate all the responses. Very helpful forum!

#14 ·
If you have any questions shoot over a pm. Dave Ash is one of the carp experts and he is always willing to spread some knowledge when it comes to carp fishing. I'm sure he would be cool if you shot him a Pm also. Welcome to MI, make sure you invest in some warm clothes lol.

#15 ·
We moved in August, so the investment has been made, and continues! Where I saw them was actually in a shallow river. I was poling my skiff and came over a whole big school of them. Kind of like poling the flat for reds back in FL. You'll get a PM here shortly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.