Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Another deadhead...

15K views 106 replies 48 participants last post by  Martin Looker 
#1 ·
Plant Wood Bedrock Trunk Twig

I really wish people gave a crap or learn how to track deer. Happens to much and im sick of the coyotes getting fed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Too many variables to blame anyone. Could have been raining and washed the trail away. Could have been a deflection or weird angle, causing the deer to go much farther. Could have been property lines involved where the hunter couldn't gain permission to track.
It's hunting season, it happens. Just like 12 months a year when deer get hit by cars, and end up dying from it. That's why there are predators and scavengers in the wild.

#3 ·
I understand crap happens. Found another one earlier and got ahold of the property owner from where the buck seemed to have come from. Showed him a pic. He shot it and never even got out of his treestand to look for it. He had the balls to ask for the antlers.

We usually find a couple every year. As for property lines, in our area lines are just a suggestion. Everyone in our area know that if you need to track a deer, go get it on our property and surrounding properties.

#46 ·
I hope you don't lose 1.

After bowhunting 20 years, I just lost my first archery buck this season. Sucked. Tracked the buck for literally 1200 yards, with up to 5 people, Blood the whole track. Got permission and tracked on the neighbors. Let me tell you, we put some time into tracking a buck that everyone of us thought was dead just around the next turn or log. Unbelievable. I hope to never lose 1 again.

#11 ·
Anecdotal, but it seems I’ve seen more stories of lost and wounded deer in the last year or two. Maybe it’s just the prevalence on social media now.

I’ve lost 5 in 30 years. Less than 10%. It sucks every time, doe or buck. One the broad-head hit the shoulder blade and didn’t penetrate enough to be fatal. Tracked him over 500 yards. Bounces out and only had 2-3” of penetration on arrow. Still poor shot placement on my part.

Two were gut shot and poor shot placement. One was my scope ring was broken and didn’t know it and made a poor shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

#12 ·
It happens but IMHO, a lot of guys get 'buck fever' and take iffy shots, premature shots that would have improved had they just waited, or shots that they flat out shouldn't have taken. I know one guy that passed on a long shot on a spike this year and later told me "I would have taken the shot if he was a big one". Not sure why it's ok to him to shoot beyond his comfort zone "if it's a big one"...

Not even getting out of a stand to see if you connected and track is just irresponsible.

#13 ·
At least for me it’s an absolutely horrible feeling when I wound an animal and don’t find it. It makes me sick to my stomach. The main reason if I don’t have a very good clean ethical shot opportunity I do not take it and the deer lives to see another day. The main reason I hate deer drives and wish it was illegal. No way is anyone getting a clean ethical shot at a running deer. It’s pathetic and should be banned. Not to mention it’s dangerous for everyone involved. No way do you have time to see beyond your target when your throwing up your gun and unloading it hoping for a Hail Mary shooting at a running deer. I always shake my head in disbelief and laugh at the same time when I hear a gun being unloaded. You know there is no way ethical shots are being taken. Deer don’t stand still while you unload your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkj

#21 ·
Years ago I rented a house from a farmer near some state land.
I also had permission to hunt the land. On opening day the farmers son and his group started deer drives at 9 AM. WTF??
The next year, I was invited to hunt with the party.
I was told the "Practice Day" was on 3rd Saturday in September at 9AM, if you miss it dont bother showing up to hunt.
That group had an amazing set up with running deer on tracks and a cardboard filled tire that was bounced down a hill! Lots of mentoring and coaching at the practice sessions.
I realize that not every group does this, it was a great experience and many deer were safely taken as they were well organized and knew where to put the shooters. Interestingly enough the drivers accounted for 50% of the deer.

At least for me it’s an absolutely horrible feeling when I wound an animal and don’t find it. It makes me sick to my stomach. The main reason if I don’t have a very good clean ethical shot opportunity I do not take it and the deer lives to see another day. The main reason I hate deer drives and wish it was illegal. No way is anyone getting a clean ethical shot at a running deer. It’s pathetic and should be banned. Not to mention it’s dangerous for everyone involved. No way do you have time to see beyond your target when your throwing up your gun and unloading it hoping for a Hail Mary shooting at a running deer. I always shake my head in disbelief and laugh at the same time when I hear a gun being unloaded. You know there is no way ethical shots are being taken. Deer don’t stand still while you unload your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkj

#24 ·
I notched the tag and always will. It’s a personal choice and like I said there is no wrong or right answer. I know there are some sportsmen who have questionable ethics in my book, but the vast majority are great people who respect resource. Losing an animal let alone wounding one is one of the most gut wrenching things that happens in hunting, but it does happen for a variety of reasons. If you hunt long enough it will happen to everyone. Some things are as simple as a bad shot selection, others can be as simple as a twig hitting an arrow or a deer dropping on a shot etc. I would tread lightly before throwing people under the bus without knowing the situation because it was more than likely a low point for them and something that can drive people out of the sport entirely and that’s not what we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#28 ·
I notched the tag and always will. It’s a personal choice and like I said there is no wrong or right answer. I know there are some sportsmen who have questionable ethics in my book, but the vast majority are great people who respect resource. Losing an animal let alone wounding one is one of the most gut wrenching things that happens in hunting, but it does happen for a variety of reasons. If you hunt long enough it will happen to everyone. Some things are as simple as a bad shot selection, others can be as simple as a twig hitting an arrow or a deer dropping on a shot etc. I would tread lightly before throwing people under the bus without knowing the situation because it was more than likely a low point for them and something that can drive people out of the sport entirely and that’s not what we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
If they are that sensitive that they get drove out of the sport ...I'd tell them to take up knitting then lol.

#29 ·
Don't know. If I was out there and known he was, if he was looking, I would have stopped hunting and helped. I know what your asking, and it was right on the property line along the powerlines. Consumers owns the line so its fair game. Grant it, it could have been overlooked. Dont know

#26 ·
You've been throwing me under the bus but you say I can't do the same? I'm just calling a spade a spade.

I'm glad you have ethics, it does make me feel better with hunters.

I already said, crap happens. I know it does but its starting to be a common occurrence by me and its starting to piss me off.

#33 ·
Finding three like that in two years would be disheartening, seems to be a pattern. My neighbor had to bring in a dog on a wounded deer this year and got permission from the neighbor on the other side of him to track onto that property. They found 4 dead bucks on the neighbor's property, 2 sparkies and 2 2.5 year olds. Everyone that I know that has hunted long enough has lost deer but when it happens regularly they are clearly doing something wrong. I feel your frustration. But learning to let things go that are out of your control seems to be part of game in hunting.

#43 ·
I am a property owner too so I know what you mean. There is a fine line between a tracking agreement with neighbors and taking advantage of that. Two neighboring properties and ours have an unwritten agreement. If it is a trackable deer, the general respect is to not mess up prime hunting times. Wait till lunch time or after dark if at all possible.
At the same time, if it isn't a solid trackable trail, there is no right to just wander or grid search without permission.
I have hunted along the river and have seen what you described. A guy rips off 5 shots at deer going by. The deer proceed to cross the river. Hunter gets down, follows their path to the river, then turns around and goes back to his stand. One year two guys were on our side after I got back from lunch. Said they had hit a buck and it went north. I told them we would be on the lookout for it, but didn't just let them go on a wild goose chase.
I did have to go 70 yards or so on the neighbors property once this year. Blood trail was solid heavy with not even a foot without blood the whole way. Got in and out as quickly and quietly as possible.

#50 ·
I find at least one unrecovered a year from the "pro bow shooter" young puck kid next door. No he never shoots does either even though these are from this years crop ( I will not say yearling"). Had a neighbor do a hit on a buck that was never recovered during gun. The buck survived loosing one leg. The next year a bow hunter shot him in the ass not recovering him. The Coyotes took him down right on the original shooters two track. We kept the offset rack for him and hung it in his barn for a reminder.

#53 ·
I had an uncle that nobody ever liked growing up. One of the dumbest people I have ever met in my life. He was a city dweller and a union steward at GM. He is no longer part of the family. My entire life he told stories of missed deer at thanksgiving dinner. Occasionally he shot a deer but the big bucks were always stories of misses.

He hunted a farm in alpena area owned by one of his retired shop workers that he represented one year. He shot 3 deer one day and brought one back to the house excited and proud. The landowner asked him if he was going to go back and get the other 2 deer he shot. My dimwitted uncle told him he missed. The landowner took him back and showed him the blood trails and recovered the other deer. My uncle believed his entire life that any deer you hit with a rifle dropped in its tracks and it wasnt possible for a hit deer to run off.

I have to believe there are others out there as clueless as him somehow functioning in society.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.