Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

LFTS 10/29

21K views 213 replies 88 participants last post by  timbrhuntr 
#1 ·
Rise and shine. Getting ready to head into their bedroom for a morning hunt. Last night was a goose egg for me so hopefully this morning sees better action. Good luck out there this morning.

on a side note- I did have a brand new Tactacam on the counter when I got home so that made me happy!

#169 ·
Just curious. I see sarnia. Are you hunting in Michigan and if so how did you get across the border.

#189 ·
Went back out to the general area I hunted the other night. Saw one doe again, but no shot, wasn’t going to anyway.

I got so ******* turned around I came out to the trail a ways off. My OnX wouldn’t load, but I knew the general direction of the trail. Ended up seeing a light and two guys must have heard me sounding like a drunk cow trying to get through the thick schitt. I talked to them for a bit, nice guys. Ended up walking opposite direction’s in where I thought I parked. Nope. Turned around and walked back to my vehicle. Of course it loaded once I was on the trail. Lol

Good news, we weren’t hunting that close, I just ended up way off. Weird what a head lamp in thick crap will do. Seriously the easiest walk out there, no idea how I screwed it up that bad.

#204 ·
Went back out to the general area I hunted the other night. Saw one doe again, but no shot, wasn’t going to anyway.

I got so ******* turned around I came out to the trail a ways off. My OnX wouldn’t load, but I knew the general direction of the trail. Ended up seeing a light and two guys must have heard me sounding like a drunk cow trying to get through the thick schitt. I talked to them for a bit, nice guys. Ended up walking opposite direction’s in where I thought I parked. Nope. Turned around and walked back to my vehicle. Of course it loaded once I was on the trail. Lol

Good news, we weren’t hunting that close, I just ended up way off. Weird what a head lamp in thick crap will do. Seriously the easiest walk out there, no idea how I screwed it up that bad.
I have had the same issues when wearing a headlamp I am much better traveling the woods in the dark with a handheld flashlight or no flashlight at all .

#196 ·
Saw a good number of deer tonight, 11 or 12 doe's and 1 buck, he worked a scrape across the field, but didn't b-line in like he was supposed to. Between the wind and rain it wasn't nice for me, but the deer seemed to like it.

#197 ·
Saw a small 8 point and the a real good looking 9 point I called in! I’m kinda regretting not shooting him but it makes it much easier to handle when there’s a buck already hanging up! I can’t remember if I’ve ever had so many bucks all respond to my calls and all came in and offers shots inside 20 yards!! Great day!!

#199 ·
Well that was... disappointing. Pretty decent blood with some bubbles for about 15 yards and then absolutely dried up to nothing. Thinking I hit her lower or further back than it looked and it just plugged up hard. Can’t explain total lack of blood otherwise. Also found some yellowish matter around last blood, but no where else? Smelled slightly gutty. Using large mechanical g5 dead meat. Perplexed. I might have an hour to look in the AM. Otherwise she might be coyote food. Uhg.

Sent from d_mobile

#205 ·
Great job congrats on a very nice buck! Did you hunt all day?
Yes all day. It was slow from 10:30 to about 1:30, finally saw a small 8 wandering. Then between 2 and 3 I saw 4 bucks, 2 were a result of rattling the other 2 might have been they came through together 20 minutes after I shot mine , approximately 1/2 hr after rattling. This time of year through gun season I can expect to see a good buck mid day on most of the hunts that I sit all day.

#206 ·
:D I'm jealous. Really want to rattle one in. Real antlers or substitute of some sort? That's awesome. Happy for you.
Plant Deer Grass Wood Fawn

Real antlers. It's a set I found in an old broken down plywood deer blind when I was a kid. I bet they're at least 25 to 30 yrs old. They were stuck in the ground and half covered with dirt in the blind floor. I've rattled and killed 3 good bucks with these and called in a ton over the years with them, mostly 1.5 and 2.5's. I keep thinking I need to get some new ones as old antlers lose their "pop" but if you crack them and grind the beams together they still work. I've learned from listening to bucks fighting that you mostly hear the grinding not tines tickling. Once I applied this to my rattling technique the results improved.

#208 ·
View attachment 595353
Real antlers. It's a set I found in an old broken down plywood deer blind when I was a kid. I bet they're at least 25 to 30 yrs old. They were stuck in the ground and half covered with dirt in the blind floor. I've rattled and killed 3 good bucks with these and called in a ton over the years with them, mostly 1.5 and 2.5's. I keep thinking I need to get some new ones as old antlers lose their "pop" but if you crack them and grind the beams together they still work. I've learned from listening to bucks fighting that you mostly hear the grinding not tines tickling. Once I applied this to my rattling technique the results improved.
There was a tale of antlers being cached below ground by natives.
That would reduce rodent damage , but also be a controlled (mostly) environment keeping them from drying out.

Mineral oil can restore some tone. As in theory would be putting them in a humid environment.
(Look dear , new shower decorations!)
Your finding them in/on the earth means they were not as dry then , than if they were indoors.

#207 ·
Found her

A little back on entry, but not terrible. Exit was way back, so much have deflected off a rib. Not super impressed with the dead meat, but could also have made a better shot. Most shocking thing was absolutely zero blood. At least she’s not wasted.

Sent from d_mobile

#209 ·
Not much of a story. Pretty windy afternoon sit yesterday. She came in about 5:30 ish all by her lonesome. She looked back a few times so I thought something might be sniffing after her, but nothing ever did. Watched her browse for about a half hour and about 6-ish she finally offer up a broadside shot at 25 yards and I took the chance to put more meat in the freezer.

Thought it looked a little back, but not terrible, replaying everything in my head. She staggered right after shot and ran into woods.

I waited about 3.5 hrs to pickup trail. There was absolutely zero - and I mean zero - blood beyond the initial spatters I found right in the woods. Doubt started to set in about what transpired. FIL and I looked for an hour before calling it quits as there just wasn't anything to follow. Neighbor and I came back out around 10:30am this morning. Found her approx. 100 yards from where she was shot piled up. Absolutely no blood anywhere to be seen. Barely any even around where she died.

Shot was probably square in the liver, deflected a little and exited about 8" back and low. Cavity was full of blood. Slightly stinky gut job but not the worst i've smelled. I think most of her is salvageable. Kept the heart (it passed the sniff test) but I left the liver and not sure the tenderloins will be any good. We'll see.

Anyway glad I found her. Could have made a better shot and no one to blame but myself for that. Still disappointed that with a large DIA expandable (g5 deadmeat) there was such little blood. A lot of factors there, but in the end at least she was recovered.

#211 ·
Not much of a story. Pretty windy afternoon sit yesterday. She came in about 5:30 ish all by her lonesome. She looked back a few times so I thought something might be sniffing after her, but nothing ever did. Watched her browse for about a half hour and about 6-ish she finally offer up a broadside shot at 25 yards and I took the chance to put more meat in the freezer.

Thought it looked a little back, but not terrible, replaying everything in my head. She staggered right after shot and ran into woods.

I waited about 3.5 hrs to pickup trail. There was absolutely zero - and I mean zero - blood beyond the initial spatters I found right in the woods. Doubt started to set in about what transpired. FIL and I looked for an hour before calling it quits as there just wasn't anything to follow. Neighbor and I came back out around 10:30am this morning. Found her approx. 100 yards from where she was shot piled up. Absolutely no blood anywhere to be seen. Barely any even around where she died.

Shot was probably square in the liver, deflected a little and exited about 8" back and low. Cavity was full of blood. Slightly stinky gut job but not the worst i've smelled. I think most of her is salvageable. Kept the heart (it passed the sniff test) but I left the liver and not sure the tenderloins will be any good. We'll see.

Anyway glad I found her. Could have made a better shot and no one to blame but myself for that. Still disappointed that with a large DIA expandable (g5 deadmeat) there was such little blood. A lot of factors there, but in the end at least she was recovered.
She will most likely be good - maybe not great!
In my experience you always get a little taint with any gut shot.
Best advice is wash her thoroughly with water as soon as possible.
Other than that, I never wash out with water before hanging.
<----<<<

Reactions: snortwheeze
#212 ·
Be mindful of your knife. Clean it well between tainted and non tainted meat. Or use two different knives!
Your nose will guide you if you sniff close.
Quarters and backstraps should be fine for sure.
The rear quarter that was on the ground the longest can get the sniff test near the joint too , but should be quite fine.

Washing soon enough can help. I've read of vinegar being used , but never tried it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.