Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Gentry Quiet Brake or forward muzzle brakes on 450 BM anyone try?

10K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  SAINTDANIEL 
#1 · (Edited)
I pulled the brake off my Ruger Scout because it was too loud and had rearward blast.

I would not mind some recoil reduction but not at that price of the crazy blast.

I'm looking at something that dampens some recoil but is no louder (or less) than with the brake off.
Anyone have any experience with these?

Gentry Quiet Brake
https://gentrycustom.com/Products/QuietMuzzleBrake/tabid/6359/Default.aspx

KVP Linear Comp
https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Compensator-p/kvp-linear-blk.htm

Freedom Machine Werks TAMR GEN2 Linear Compensator
https://www.freedommachinewerks.com/p/freedom-machine-werks-tamr-gen2-linear-compensator

https://tromix.com/product/linear-compensator-muzzle-brake/

LOL check out the "is there a warranty" in the faq section of trimix. Its a variable based on how you act. Cracked me up.
https://tromix.com/faqs/

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a TAMR on a 16" Ruger.
Last year I had a Beast brake on it from www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com. That brake was incredibly effective on recoil but pure hell for blast and noise.
Shot the TAMR this spring without ear protection and it isn't uncomfortable noise level at all. The recoil reduction is not as good, but I will take that tradeoff.
I thought it might affect accuracy but it does not hurt accuracy a bit.

#3 ·
I have a TAMR on a 16" Ruger.
Last year I had a Beast brake on it from www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com. That brake was incredibly effective on recoil but pure hell for blast and noise.
Shot the TAMR this spring without ear protection and it isn't uncomfortable noise level at all. The recoil reduction is not as good, but I will take that tradeoff.
I thought it might affect accuracy but it does not hurt accuracy a bit.
Thanks Ken

Recoil of No brake vs TAMR?
Sound of no brake vs TAMR?

One has to be careful he does not chase tail and end up with something that is the same as no brake at all. For free I have less sound (no brake) and a little more recoil vs stock brake.
I did not feel the stock brake cut all that much recoil but did increase sound 10x.

I just saw a unnamed video of a guy shooting that TAMR with no ear muffs. Is that you?

#6 · (Edited)
I would think it would have to. There are ports inside it like a brake, then it goes into that chamber and redirects forward. It almost seems like it would push the gun back more, but I guess once the gas gets in that expansion chamber it loses energy.
Those brakes are really big with the night time predator hunters. Not sure why. Small calibers that they use such as 6.5 Creed don't have much recoil. So, they must be doing it for the sound benefits.

I currently have a Boyds stock on my 450. I will probably switch back to the factory stock for the regular season. I got the stock just to switch things up a bit. I bedded the V blocks, pillar bedded it, and got metal bottom metal parts instead of the plastic Boyds sends with it. I have not had any problems with splitting or wear. I messed up when I ordered. Ordered with a standard LOP and a Kick Eeze 1" pad instead of the factory 1/2". I assumed that would change the LOP, but it didn't. My mistake. And the pad they sent was not even 1". It was a contoured trap type pad, and maybe 1" at the top including the base plate. So, I switched it to an 1 3/8" Kick Eeze. That got the LOP exact where I wanted it, and made a much better pad.

The factory stock, I had camo dipped, put a Limbsaver pad on it, and filled the voids in the butt and barrel channel with silicone. That added weight and took away the hollow plastic feel. I like that for the main season because it is a bit more weather proof than even the laminate Boyds.
It is 8# 14 oz. with the Boyds, and 8# 12 oz. with the factory stock

#7 ·
I would think it would have to. There are ports inside it like a brake, then it goes into that chamber and redirects forward. It almost seems like it would push the gun back more, but I guess once the gas gets in that expansion chamber it loses energy.
Those brakes are really big with the night time predator hunters. Not sure why. Small calibers that they use such as 6.5 Creed don't have much recoil. So, they must be doing it for the sound benefits.

I currently have a Boyds stock on my 450. I will probably switch back to the factory stock for the regular season. I got the stock just to switch things up a bit. I bedded the V blocks, pillar bedded it, and got metal bottom metal parts instead of the plastic Boyds sends with it. I have not had any problems with splitting or wear. I messed up when I ordered. Ordered with a standard LOP and a Kick Eeze 1" pad instead of the factory 1/2". I assumed that would change the LOP, but it didn't. My mistake. And the pad they sent was not even 1". It was a contoured trap type pad, and maybe 1" at the top including the base plate. So, I switched it to an 1 3/8" Kick Eeze. That got the LOP exact where I wanted it, and made a much better pad.

The factory stock, I had camo dipped, put a Limbsaver pad on it, and filled the voids in the butt and barrel channel with silicone. That added weight and took away the hollow plastic feel. I like that for the main season because it is a bit more weather proof than even the laminate Boyds.
It is 8# 14 oz. with the Boyds, and 8# 12 oz. with the factory stock
All those gases are moving forward fast like the bullet. When they hit those ports it goes from full speed to much slower which jerks the barrel forward.
So you get the recoil from the initial shot then milliseconds later that gas hits the ports which jerks the end of the barrel forward. Its putting the brakes on the gas.
If that break were not threaded on, it would go flying off like a secondary bullet.

Its not a cheap one $125.00 so I'm sort of hesitant to try more toys that don't work as hoped. So you were able to shoot it without your plugs on and it was not horrible?

#9 ·
Yeah, he is the one I talked to when I got mine. He even Cerakoted it to match my gun, which saved me from having to send it somewhere else.
What is the new one they are coming out with? I will try to check their site and see if they show anything on it

#11 ·
Yeah, he is the one I talked to when I got mine. He even Cerakoted it to match my gun, which saved me from having to send it somewhere else.
What is the new one they are coming out with? I will try to check their site and see if they show anything on it
Its not on their site. I don't think its even advertised yet.

They refined it some to reduce weight. On some lighter .223s it was a bit heaver on the pencil barrels which in some cases messed with the barrel harmonics. Was not really an issue on 450MBs with short barrels but they reduced the weight on that too. Its no better than the one you have, you said your point of impact and accuracy was fine.

In some cases the accuracy improves. That is just luck though, just happened to tune the harmonics of a poor shooting gun to move the node towards the barrels end. Similar to how rubber barrel tuning donuts work.

Its mostly the long pencil barrels that can be affected. Stubby 16" barrels were never an issue. I almost got the current one as its in stock but decided to wait the extra 3-4 weeks on the new one. I think its 2oz lighter. Old one 10oz? new 8oz? I can't remember what yours weighs, I think he said 10.

#12 ·
Sounds good. Wonder if they will offer both options? The first gen was stainless. They did a closeout on those just before I ordered mine. They were gone or I would have ordered one.
Can't remember the weight. It doesn't negatively affect the balance or handling other than adding length. Weight is a good thing especially on the Americans

#13 ·
Sounds good. Wonder if they will offer both options? The first gen was stainless. They did a closeout on those just before I ordered mine. They were gone or I would have ordered one.
Can't remember the weight. It doesn't negatively affect the balance or handling other than adding length. Weight is a good thing especially on the Americans
They will probably do what they did the first time. Get rid of current stock maybe at a discount, it did not sound like they will offer both, sounded like a phase out. But its not a huge difference.

#17 ·
Those brakes are so NOISY, I took mine off and will live with the extra recoil. I think my ears are still ringing from last year, lol. I didn't know they could make a quiet brake, may have to check it out, pls keep us posted when you get the latest greatest.

#20 ·
Brakes make sense to me for someone who wants fast follow up shots such as a competitor. But from the perspective of reducing the effect of recoil on the shooter....well perceived recoil is both actual recoil and noise so there's no free lunch. People say they will just wear ear pro. Well, again, these only reduce blast by so many db. It's like saying I don't need to care about recoil because I have a recoil pad.

That's not to mention the fact that brakes add inches and weight to your muzzle. If you really want to reduce noise, add 2-3 inches in barrell.

#21 ·
Yea just moving the noise further out helps. I'm just experimenting I don't know that I will use it. They are all pretty loud though, I shoot 16" 20" and 24" bushmasters. Don't care for breaks I shoot mine without one and its 16 I shot 10 rounds with no recoil pad no break and no big deal. I wanted to see how much sound it dampens vs no linear compensator. and let you guys know because many don't want to spend 130.00 to find out.

I don't want to spend 1,000 on a silencer right now (they are 2-3x heavier) Just curious how much percieved sound it cuts from the shooter. I wear the
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...Headband-1-ea-cs/?N=5002385+3294756927&rt=rud
and plugs when sighting in. And use them hunting, I hear better with them on vs off.

Adding 3 inches to my barrel hmm would need new barrel. Since my gunsite is pre threaded stainless it was just easier to screw on this TAMR to experiment.

I wish there was a free lunch none of this stuff has been free and I like free.

#22 ·
I finally shot my gunsite with the new TAMR. Was not expecting to like it much but its pretty decent.
I think the colder temps are giving me more of a flame ball using H110. Maybe it was there before and I just never noticed it. We filmed it at 240fps then I grabbed a frame showing the difference in the flame ball with no TAMR vs with it.
In real world speed its hard to see the flame, its not that dramatic since is so fast. That is as large as the TAMR got just a little bit around the edge.
Also the cameraman said he felt no concusion standing to the side of the TAMR and with it off it was a big blast to the side.
It does reduce recoil some. Sound is like 10DB lower (used a phone sound meter, not that accurate) I think people at the range would appreciate it.

If anything it tightened my groups. So I think I'll leave it on.

#24 · (Edited)
KVP Linear Comp is fantastic ! I have 3, they are perfect for shorter barrels. Recoil reduction is a non issue for me, i wanted to get that sound forward. Imo stay away from gill style brakes, they blast hard out the sides and i don't have time to put muffs or ear plugs in. The KVP dose help some in the recoil dept. but shine in getting sound forward.

If you sit in a shack you might be able to get some ear protection on, then the gill style will be ok. The gill style will be better in the recoil department over the KVP.

#25 ·
KVP Linear Comp is fantastic ! I have 3, they are perfect for shorter barrels. Recoil reduction is a non issue for me, i wanted to get that sound forward. Imo stay away from gill style brakes, they blast hard out the sides and i don't have time to put muffs or ear plugs in. The KVP dose help some in the recoil dept. but shine in getting sound forward.

If you sit in a shack you might be able to get some ear protection on, then the gill style will be ok. The gill style will be better in the recoil department over the KVP.
The price is right on those. Only $54.00? I paid 120 for the TAMR but it has a bit more metal in it. Weighs 9.3 oz. The KVP is listed at 2.9OZ. Wondering if all KVPs weigh the same because they are made for different calibers. Any chance you could get the dimensions and weight off yours? Thanks.

#26 ·
I have the standard linear comp on my .223 and both of my 450's the length is 2 1/16 long o.d is .95 weight is 2.9 oz al lof the specs for the kaw are listed on their site. Almost forgot to add,ran into a guy with the TAMR waaay overpriced and did no better than the KAW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.