Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

How to fish deep water trees without getting snagged

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  83mulligan 
#1 ·
I have a spot I found that I have caught a couple 2+ pound largemouth and two 4.5+ smallmouth on. It is a tree that feel in about 16-19 feet of water. Ever fish has been caught bouncing a square bill, shallow running, crankbait off the upper limbs. On my downscan I can see tons of fish down deep but everytime I throw a football jig, texas rig, anything I get hung up. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get down to those fish without getting snagged every cast?

#2 ·
Questions....

How long has this tree been down in the water?

When you say you are getting hung up, do you know where?

Is the bait getting caught up in the fork of two branches?

Without answers, a couple of random thoughts.

Try a different jighead design like an Arky Jig or a lighter Swim Jig design.

Make sure you peg your bullet weight tight to a straight tailed worm.

Start you deep water approach to the outside of the tree that may lure fish out of the limbs.

As you work your way into the tree top, make sure you are casting towards the base of the tree, and work slowly outwards which should keep your bait away from the forks.

If you feel that your are hung up, let out more line rather than pulling the bait into a snag, where a fish may just hit and bring you out of trouble.

If you can go vertical, try a drop shot with the bait rigged weedless and let your bait work straight down to where the fish are.

#6 ·
I couldn't tell you how long, I remember it when it was on the bank 20 years ago, then I stopped fishing there.

I've fish what I believe are main branches but only manage to get 3 or 4 feet down before I get hung up. It's not in a fork, it's usually on the outside.

There maybe current deeper down in the old river bed but definitely not on the surface, unless the wind is blowing.

I thought about a weedless tube jig, might allow a straight shot, but haven't tried it yet.

#3 ·
Think about the current, kinda like the wind. Don't cast upstream but downstream or float the bait on the edges where the water takes it away from the tree. Current can be on the top of the water or down deep. Use a practice lure to feel the bump and figure it out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.