Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

2020 CWD Testing Goals

4K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  flocknocker1 
#1 ·
Here we are... DNR sets no goals in their announcement of 2020 CWD testing goals. DNR funded testing is limited to only 5 townships that have had CWD detected and 23 townships without prior detections.

9 counties including the Core and some of the former management zone can get DNR funded tests Nov 15 - 18 ONLY. Still no information on DNR's solution for hunter-pay private lab testing options.

It does look like carcasses of deer showing CWD symptoms will be accepted for testing year round. Here's a tip, if your deer staggers, falls over, or displays other neurologic symptoms (ie brain dead) looks like you can get your deer tested. :idea:

Slope Font Parallel Diagram Terrestrial plant

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a 4 day C.W.D. hunt for me this year if I want free testing.
Hope it don't snow much before the 15th...
On the bright side , should be less kills.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Justsayin
#4 ·
Looks like all the deer I shoot this year are coming from “southern Isabella County”.

I see the “recorded” kill for that area increasing tenfold compared to last year.
I thought about people doing that as soon as I saw it in the hunting guide.

It is going to appear as though the population in the CWD zone is exploding, but may make the prevalence rate look much better than it is.

Another hat tip to an already dysfunctional organization.....

#9 ·
Will meat processors take deer from CWD counties no longer requiring DNR testing. Will they demand you have it private tested? Will they take the your deer without question? I hope processors identify their intent very soon.

#17 ·
Hmmm, being in the core area I've had all my deer tested since the beginning.

I'll probably cut the racks off and dump the carcass in lansing from now on.

Reactions: FREEPOP
#18 ·
The last I looked the deer check station webpage will be updated soon.

The Bernie supporters are starting to reveal themselves, I want it freeeeee. Most on this site received an unexpected government windfall earlier this year that should be enough to cover all the testing you’ll need for the balance of your life even if the DNR doesn’t subsidize a dime of CWD testing anymore. Quit crying and go hunt. The past is the past, we all enjoyed free hunter subsidized testing. Enjoy your season knowing you have received enough money from the anti hunter and non hunter segment of the population to pay for your lifetime of testing. We finally got one up on them.

Reactions: Botiz
#20 ·
The last I looked the deer check station webpage will be updated soon.

The Bernie supporters are starting to reveal themselves, I want it freeeeee. Most on this site received an unexpected government windfall earlier this year that should be enough to cover all the testing you’ll need for the balance of your life even if the DNR doesn’t subsidize a dime of CWD testing anymore. Quit crying and go hunt. The past is the past, we all enjoyed free hunter subsidized testing. Enjoy your season knowing you have received enough money from the anti hunter and non hunter segment of the population to pay for your lifetime of testing. We finally got one up on them.
What is the price point, please. I haven't looked into it...

#24 ·
Aren't you the poster that has posted a number of times about grant money for land improvement?
View attachment 571977
Hmmmm......
I’ve received deer habitat grant money. I was called and asked if I wanted to participate in deer habitat due the products being ordered and someone dropping out. My property did not fall under the parameters of the grant but the apple trees and bur oaks would have been otherwise disposed of. I’ve also received free testing for both bTB and CWD. I guess you missed reading the 2019 deer harvest survey results where hunter said they would be willing to pay for voluntary testing. I believe subsidized testing will be a thing of the past. It’s no big deal since we have been paid up front for lifetime testing. If someone didn’t receive a payment they can afford the testing.

#31 ·
So free is OK if they ask you? Free is free in my book.

And are these the numbers that you are talking about from the survey?
ONLY 38% were willing to pay.

View attachment 572007
View attachment 572017
I saw those results online. Did you happened to notice that those in favor of paying to get tested is higher than those that opposed APRs in many surveys? It’s been proven that the DNR sides with the minority, they now know hunters are willing to pay so there is no doubt the minority opinion will be adopted again.

#22 ·
I killed and tested 7 last year and was anticipating an increase of at least 50% this year. I like to share venison. At what point does my personal responsibility begin and end within that space. $350 to $1000 carries a significant opportunity cost.

#35 ·
If hunters outside of immediate areas of known CWD would like testing for peace of mind, perhaps optional self-pay testing could be justified. I don't believe where known CWD exists, it is in anyones interest to increase the cost of hunting there. There is a reason other states have continued providing accessible, funded testing in CWD areas, it is because they want to limit the spread and prevalence of the disease... clearly not a concern in Michigan. :rolleyes:

#36 ·
Anyone have a list of private labs and info on how they collect specimens / how hunters get samples to them?
A Google quick check under Michigan C.W.D. private lab testing options didn't help.

#43 ·
I have no issue with paying for testing. Personally I don’t see why anyone would think the DNR should pay for their testing.

My thing is that private testing doesn’t seem to be easily available based on the little research I’ve been able to do since learning that’s what my option will be this fall.

#45 ·
Yes the last few years the DNR tells you do Not Eat a Deer that has "CWD" And
"Now they are DOING AN ABOUT Face" as To TESTING for CWD. And yes Newaygo was a part since 2018 the Core Area. And having to "JUMP THROUGH HOOPs To MEET their Regulations that Now have BEEN DROP So How many went out Of their Way to have their Deer Checked and Or Tested and Follow those Regs and Now they Just Change Direction and Drop These So CALLED CWD Regulations. So How many get ticketed for Not Following these Rgs If they No Longer mean ANYTHING as they Did The DNR and the CO are Suspect as to being Clueless IF Now It Does Not Matter If You Eat a Deer with CWD as You CANNOT TELL if majority of the Deer That Have Tested Positive have it or NOT! So Hunters Safety is Thrown OUT The Window Because they have Budgets Woes That IS their Problem Drop all the Videos they Waste Time Making and get Back To the "BASICS" and save they $ they Are Burning!!! Safety is Why They Told Use Don't Eat the Meat what has "CHANGED"! NOTHING! Just that they still have Jobs but Put Hunters At RISK. Sad But That is Why I No Longer have Any Trust In The NRC and DNR This is all Politics Not Worry about some getting Ill Like They Once Were Concern About that tells me That there will be someone suing if they get sick or even dies then WHAT as Those Making these decisions are CLUELESS You Can't Just Drop majority Of testing But They DID So Losing Hunters or Hunters leaving Dead Deer in the Field will be come the New Norm if they Cannot Get their Deer tested But It is Okay with those in the DNR and Those in the NRC as I contacted them and was advised I need to use a "Private Lab when You use their Link there is No "PRIVATE Labs" So Is It last Minute and Who will know where they are, most want to Plan Ahead and Know so they Can Find One not chasing one Down after they have taken their Deer and Will If Need to be so called Tested / Checked by the Magic 24 Hours that was a Part of the the DNR Regulation and if you did not You were to be "TICKETED" as You needed ti Check Yur Deer within their 24 Hours, Sad they are So Out Of Touch and are No Longer Concerned!!! Can tell Hunter You Have To then Just Drop It like It is Not Important hen It WAS! S How Can You Trust the DNR Or NRC when they Change Direction because they Lack The Money It is a State Resource and They need To Do The Job They Did But That is Why We have Politicians on the NRC and Work for The DNR They No Longer Care otherwise why did They Tell us DON'T EAT the MEAT!!!!!!!
Newaygo1
WOW, that is one long sentence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.