Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Trail cameras, Ring doorbells, ethics....

9K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  waxico 
#1 ·
We installed a Ring Doorbell at our house. The thing works great. When anything approaches I get a notification and a picture, adittionally at any time I can look at a live view of my front yard from anywhere!

I got to thinking, it really it has all the main components of a trail camera. It has an internet connection, camera, light, motion detector, power source. So, are there any trail cameras that offer a live view function? Imagine how useful that could be, to see a live view of each of your food plots. You might even be able to stalk a deer that you saw on the live view, adjusting for each step he takes.

If this became popular it would really change the game, but I am not sure I would like the idea. Imho that would be crossing the line, and shouldn't be allowed.

Does a live view function exist? Would you support it being against the rules to use it that way?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I have Blink Cameras that work the same way, I don’t believe there is a trail camera that offers a live view. My Blinks run off of my home WIFI signal and trail cameras work off of a cell phone signal that sends a image as a text message. I’m probably wrong on this because I’m far a tech genius, I hardly run any of my trail cameras anymore. Just seems I have way to many deer looking at the camera......makes me wonder how much they get spooked by them?
Flight

#8 ·
Isn't there something banning the use of electronics to pursue and take game in the Michigan game laws? Where is that line drawn? A lot of guys on here would turn their grandmother in for loading a rifle 30 seconds before legal shooting light, but I never hear that one brought up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#9 ·
Isn't there something banning the use of electronics to pursue and take game in the Michigan game laws? Where is that line drawn? A lot of guys on here would turn their grandmother in for loading a rifle 30 seconds before legal shooting light, but I never hear that one brought up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
That’s what I thought on the law. Are you guys seriously thinking to have a live stream of a deer area that you can sneak into to shoot that deer right then? I guess I’m too old to see the attraction of the concept, but regardless believe the law doesn’t allow it.

#12 ·
I've often thought that if you had enough of those cell cameras you could really increase your odds, even if it isn't a live picture. You at least know where the deer are, where they aren't and where they might be headed with a 1-3 minute delay. I know the one cell camera I have has saved me multiple times from heading to that stand when the deer were already there.

#15 ·
I've often thought that if you had enough of those cell cameras you could really increase your odds, even if it isn't a live picture. You at least know where the deer are, where they aren't and where they might be headed with a 1-3 minute delay. I know the one cell camera I have has saved me multiple times from heading to that stand when the deer were already there.
They are getting cheap enough that lots of dudes will have a handful this year, myself included. It's definitely changing the game.

#16 ·
I know my cousin had more than one occasion hunting a stand that was on the opposite side of a travel route where he was saved from being busted by deer sneaking through because he got a picture of deer moving his direction from another stand that had a cell camera by it.

He said he was kind of neat, but seemed kinda like cheating.

There is a little delay, but it still would give you a heads up in instances like that or like what Steve is saying where you know ahead of time that they are in that area.

#18 ·
We got one as a gift from our daughters for Christmas, and your right - these doorbell cams have great 180 degree resolution and can be set up for different distances. When the mailman drops off a package there is a short delay, but we always get notification on our cell phones. If I still had our property up north I would not hesitate to use one if for no other reason than to deal with all the trespasser's we were encountering, especially as we all got older. Technology these days has made being a thief/poacher a substantially more risky occupation. As far as using it for hunting, I also see it as not being much different than using a trail cam, unless your watching TV in the living room while simultaneously "hunting" out of your back porch.

#21 ·
I think part of the problem is how the data transfers. Home security cams use WiFi where data transfer is easier and less expensive using your home internet connection. For a trail cam to have live video it would have to cast the data using the cell carriers network like 4G or LTE and that gets expensive quickly. I'm not an expert by any means but I think that's the issue. The cell cams that offer the option of transferring photos or video upon capture are as live as you can get and that's pretty good. P&Y has a statement on the use of cell cams:

"Cellular Trail Cameras / Technology

The Pope and Young Club, historically, has not viewed the use of trail cameras as a violation of the Rules of Fair Chase.

With the invention of wireless trail cameras, as well as other devices that can send real time data to a hunter, all hunters need to consider how the use of these devices may affect fair chase. While the use of a wireless trail camera is not automatically a violation of the Rules of Fair Chase, using this technology to deliver real time location data of the animal being hunted would be a violation of rule #7 of our Rules of Fair Chase.

For clarification, if you receive a wireless image (photo, video, GPS coordinate, etc.) and it elicits an immediate ( real time) response that guides the hunter to the animal, it would be considered a violation of the Rules of Fair Chase and prohibit that animal from being eligible for entry into the Pope and Young Club's Records Program. Fair Chase is defined as the ethical, sportsmanlike and lawful pursuit of free-ranging wild game animals in a manner which does not give the hunter an improper or unfair advantage over the animal."

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Holy smokes...was just walking through Tractor Supply and they have a live stream cam there for sale. Wild Game Innivations Insite Cell. Package reads just like we are discussing, legit live feed. Coming to a food plot near you!

#29 ·
I guess hunting has gone to another level....Here I thought it was unfair to use two way radios to cumunicate that a deer is moving towards my buddy.
If a good buck is headed to a friend why in the world would you alert them via text or radio? That would be a pretty obvious fair chase violation. Doubtful that he would even feel good about tagging that buck under those circumstances.

Instead launch an interceptor drone so as to disrupt the deer's travels and reroute its path so that it can live another day. Think about it - you ain't gonna kill that deer if your buddy shoots it, now are ya?

It's all about having a plan in place BEFORE going afield. Failing to plan is the same as planning to fail.

#30 ·
Reminds me of two friends of mine.
A nice buck was walking a cut corn field edge, head towards Friend #1. He saw it and was ready.
Now...friend #2 was across the field 150 yards when the buck was dead across he shot and killed it.
Friend #1 was.....not happy and told # 2 about it...friend #2 said...I had a good shot and took it... should he have not ?? :)
It happens\
I agree, drones for me this year !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.