Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Selling a boat question......

10K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  mbrewer 
#1 ·
Not necessarily and "outdoor" question, but since the SoS won't pick up the phone and has ignored repeated emails, I'm reaching out to those on the board who may have had some experience....

I have a 16 ft Johnboat and trailer that I wish to sell. I haven't used the boat in quite a while, and the registration expired in 2017. The trailer has a life time plate on it. My questions are as follows:

1.) when I sell the boat, do I just use the previous registration (that expired in 2017) for the sale? I really don't want to got through the hassle of registering the boat (with all the SoS being shut down) just to sell it. I do have an outboard for it, but I plan on selling that seperately.

2.) what do I need to do to include the trailer in the sale? On the back of the boat registration, it has information for selling the boat to a new owner, but the trailer doesn't have the same information.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. For the record, but boat and trailer are both registered, but not titled. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
If it's a lifetime plate on the trailer, remove it when you sell and toss it in the trash. They are not transferable, despite alot of folks that believe "lifetime" really means forever... its forever for you, not a new buyer. Dont let em drive around with your plate. Only leads to potential future issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
If it's a lifetime plate on the trailer, remove it when you sell and toss it in the trash. They are not transferable, despite alot of folks that believe "lifetime" really means forever... its forever for you, not a new buyer. Dont let em drive around with your plate. Only leads to potential future issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
If the trailer weighs enough to have a plate, it has a title. Need the title to transfer ownership.

Boat only needs a title if the motor is "permanently" affixed. ( bolted through the transom)

#11 ·
Always write up a bill of sale for both the boat and trailer, with both of you signing it. Add description of both on the contract. The new owner may have to get the trailer wieght to get a new plate. If you don't know how much it wieghs. If there was a loan taken out for either you will have to have a release of lien signed by the mortgage company, if it's not already signed off on the title.

#15 ·
I just transferred two boat titles. One was a 16-ft Starcraft aluminum fishing boat with trailer. The SOS told me that anything under 20 ft does not get a title unless it has a lien on it. The other was an 18 ft lund with trailer. That one had a title with it but when transferred I was told I won't get a new title because it does not have a lien on it.
So to transfer these types of boats all you need to do is sign the back of the registration and give them a bill of sale that says "boat and trailer".
You're still going to pay tax on the sale amount unfortunately, unless you work out something with the seller to reduce the amount of sales tax.
Go online and make an appointment with the Secretary of State and it will be quick and painless.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#16 ·
The SOS told me that anything under 20 ft does not get a title unless it has a lien on it. The other was an 18 ft lund with trailer. That one had a title with it but when transferred I was told I won't get a new title because it does not have a lien on it.
SOS told me since there was no lien I had the option to get a title on my 18 footer. I opted to get a title figuring it would make it easier to sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.