Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Fishing Burt lake during fish fly season

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bapotter 
#1 ·
I know fishing gets slow at this time. But I’m heading up next week to stream fish for trout in the morning and fish the evening on the lake. I have a hard enough time catching walleye in this lake during normal conditions. So are there any tactics that you guys try during this time of year? PM’s welcome

Thanks

#2 ·
Their metabolism is ramping up, gotta eat whatever they can. I'd focus on classic evening spots, and presentation. There's been caddis and smaller mayflies popping on and off for a few weeks, wouldn't let it get to you. Put a paddletail grub or a husky in their face, it'll get eaten.

#6 ·
I know fishing gets slow at this time. But I’m heading up next week to stream fish for trout in the morning and fish the evening on the lake. I have a hard enough time catching walleye in this lake during normal conditions. So are there any tactics that you guys try during this time of year? PM’s welcome

Thanks
Fish are there to be had if you put your time in. even with the mayfly hatches. We did well last Friday / Saturday. Focused on break lines 16-22’ pulling harnesses slow. 9 on Friday 3 Saturday but only had few hours to fish.

#7 ·
I haven't fished Burt, but I have a few go to options when dealing with the fly hatches. Fish with harnesses or slow death hooks (kind of boring in my opinion). Or my preferred way...get aggressive with jigs and jigging raps. If you have good electronics search deep water structure for fish and vertical jig (if bunched in pods) or jig troll or pitch (if spread across the break). Experiment with jigs and plastics (fin-s, power minnows, paddle tails, etc) or various "ice fishing" baits (jigging raps, shiver minnows, hyper glide/rattle, etc). Fishing solo this weekend, I put 31 in the boat in 5 hours total fishing time with these aggressive techniques.

Once the fish move off the structure/breaks into the deep basins becomes the time to troll.

#12 ·
I haven't fished Burt, but I have a few go to options when dealing with the fly hatches. Fish with harnesses or slow death hooks (kind of boring in my opinion). Or my preferred way...get aggressive with jigs and jigging raps. If you have good electronics search deep water structure for fish and vertical jig (if bunched in pods) or jig troll or pitch (if spread across the break). Experiment with jigs and plastics (fin-s, power minnows, paddle tails, etc) or various "ice fishing" baits (jigging raps, shiver minnows, hyper glide/rattle, etc). Fishing solo this weekend, I put 31 in the boat in 5 hours total fishing time with these aggressive techniques.

Once the fish move off the structure/breaks into the deep basins becomes the time to troll.
It's amazing what electronics can do these days isn't it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.