Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Fence line hunting

34K views 313 replies 104 participants last post by  7mmsendero 
#1 ·
I'm a private land owner. This year we had 6 hunters hunt our fence line. Does anyone know what I can legally due to prevent these so called hunters to stop. Every major runway had a guy standing right in the middle. Approx 30ft from the fence. Normally we let guys on to retrieve there deer if they ask. But I'm more than ticked off about whats going on. And now my rules have changed, no one gets on.

#54 ·
I’m looking to see if I still have a response from the DNRs LEO division on a question I had. I asked if I was allowed to shoot across two property lines at game if I owned both the properties where I was shooting from and the property where the deer was. It is an ell property where the property on the inside of the ell is not owned by me or falls within a the safety zone. I was told I was allowed to do so.

Reactions: Sparky23
#73 ·
Maybe I missed the OPs position, is the land he is describing vacant land or does he live on the property that is surrounded by state land? I ask because it was 2 years ago I came on here and asked the same questions but I also had an unruly neighbor that was purposely trying to fight and ruin my hunts. Many members told me to sell and it wasn't worth the headache and stress. At first I couldn't fathom selling my land 8 minutes away from home that produced deer every single sit, well, I sold it and it was honestly the best thing I ever did. Purchased a new farm and dont worry about this garbage any longer. Just my 2 cents, its just not worth the worry every season and if happened again, I would sell again and buy more.

#76 ·
You people and worrying about what goes on on the other side of the fence, lol.

Always just minded my side. I have always got along with neighbors. When I owned my 40 I let the neighbor shoot onto mine and got reciprocated. It was like this on another property I hunted before it was sold by my mom. Tracking is always a green light, go find your deer and I will help if wanted. "Do unto others...". It is just easier to be a good neighbor.

Never had to deal with state land perimeters though. If I did, it would be, "come get your deer" if the blood trail shows what happened.

#77 ·
You people and worrying about what goes on on the other side of the fence, lol.

Always just minded my side. I have always got along with neighbors. When I owned my 40 I let the neighbor shoot onto mine and got reciprocated. It was like this on another property I hunted before it was sold by my mom. Tracking is always a green light, go find your deer and I will help if wanted. "Do unto others...". It is just easier to be a good neighbor.

Never had to deal with state land perimeters though. If I did, it would be, "come get your deer" if the blood trail shows what happened.
And the guy can walk off his property any direction he wants with no repercussions, hello to what is wrong in the world today

#78 ·
Only had one problem neighbor who put his blind about a foot from the wire. I see my blind about two feet from his that way we weren't going to be shooting at each other. He didn't like it and moved his blind that night. The look on his face was priceless the first morning. He had explained a few days earlier that he could put his blind anywhere he wanted on his property. It works both ways.

#83 ·
The majority of the problem with this topic is people hunting parcels that are too damn small support the pastime of hunting. While you might think 10 acres is plenty of land to hunt on, it just simply is not. Now imagine 25 different landowners with parcels between 5 and 20 acres all crammed together in the same square mile trying to hunt with their kids and their nephews and their cousins and their parents. Conflict is inevitable.

#84 ·
Precisely. That is why the 10 wooded acres (which is full of deer) that came with my new home in NE lower, did not get hunted this year. Maybe it never will. Buddies want to hunt it, I say they can if they can guarantee their deer won't run more than 100 yds. Different neighbor on each side of the 10. Luckily I have the equipment to quickly clear out the underbrush and plan its use for other purposes.

Asking for permission to track on another's land should be the exception, not the norm. I hunt on public up tight to some very well-managed private land, and its 2-300 yds away with a gun, 400+ yds with a bow. With a well-placed shot, and no tracking angst, there should be no issues.

#85 ·
I was thinking about this before...the property owner puts a dwelling on the line but hunts 3 feet off it, looking to his own side. The other owner has to stay 150 yd radius away to hunt. You get a buffer zone on someone else's property. Even if your house is 50 ft inside the line, the neighbor loses 400 ft radius but you can hunt on your side. Gun only, right? I think you can bow hunt closer?
Firearms season is 450’ not matter what you hunt with.

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

#86 ·
What is the wind direction where these fence sitters are?

#87 ·
And if the tree is on the tree stand property per a recent , more precise GPS survey, you will be liable for value of this monstrous tree. If it were cut I would have the survey done on that line documented. Guestimate on the price of the ancient tree ?
Look close at tree, it's in rough shape so guestiment is $0. Cost more to cut it down than what it's worth. Jmho

#88 ·
Just spoke with my state rep. He now fully understands the topic and is going to soon be introducing the "Keep Your Distance" bill, which will require all hunting to occur a MINIMUM of 450 feet from any neighboring property.

One element of the bill I'm particularly excited about is the "no peeking" rule, which will forbid gazing across the fence line. The attorneys will need to iron out the final language but the draft version states, "Thou shalt keep thy head down and not even glance across thy own property border."
This is a horrible idea, and will be your fault. The current regulation is useful and workable.

Reactions: Waif
#89 ·
I just talked with my state rep. and he is on board with the no hunting within 450 ft of a property line. What we will be changing is the no peek rule. You are allowed to peek at any game animal as long as it is 450 ft. or further from a property line. Anything wthin 450 ft. you must keep your eyes staring down. No exceptions!!
You're as bad as November Sunrise. I hope this bites you in the ass some day.

#90 ·
Have a neighbor who told me he shot two deer this season which ran onto another farm...the owner refused to allow his to pursue his deer, armed or not. The other farms owners are both attorney's .

Okay I might be sick...but,

If it were me I would buy some nice decoys and at night place them where the other party can see them and watch the fun....could however be dangerous....so, maybe not a good idea...but the thought is funny. Heck I have some old deer mounts that have nice racks....hang one on a tree along the edge. :)

#94 ·
Had a neighbor who built his new house of his neighbors blind that had been there for years. After the house was built he told the neighbor to move his blind and then got told to go to h*** . It wound up in court and the judge said the blind could stay because it was there first and the new home owner knew about the blind and planned to hunt that same area.

#96 ·
While we are on the subject of changing regulations via state reps....

I just finished working through a new bill with my local rep. We are calling it the neighborly act. This will eliminate the need ask permission to track a deer for retrieval purposes onto neighbors property as long as there was a blood trail documented within the past 36 hrs. There were a few hiccups drawing this up. We came up with tracking hrs between 10-2 and after dark like the snowmobile hrs during gun season... to keep from disturbing hunters. Farmers weighed in about potential crop damage so foot traffic only and if deer retrieval causes crop damage the hunter will be responsible for retribution of crop along with a written apology.

This law is only in effect if the deer was shot on a parcel of atleast one half acre. Idea is to create more hunting opportunities for small land owners and increase license sales.

#98 ·
Are you saying that the land owner owns above the properties grade? Are people flying in planes trespassing when flying above private property? I would like to see a true definition of trespassing.
US Surpreme Court -

UNITED STATES v. CAUSBY et ux.

a landowner still has dominion over “at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land.”

In that case the court held that a plane flying 83 feet in the air( scaring the plaintiff’s chickens to death) represented an invasion of property.

They've defined navigable airspace as anything above 500'.

So unless you have a really tall house or building - your private airspace probably ends somewhere between 80' and 500'. Above 500' you definitely have no property rights. Below about 80' it's definitely private. In between will be determined by courts and circumstances.

#128 ·
Is your lease in eastern Jackson county? Sound like my neighbors place that is leased. I own the woods and cover except about 10' next to their ag, which is of course where they put their stands and blinds. I have no issues with them hunting and shooting onto their property, but I can only imagine where those deer are going after being hit..and it ain't into an open ag field. Yet, I've never been contacted for tracking permission o_O

#112 ·
Seen a guy camped out 200 yards from our woods on saturday in a fenceline with nothing but open field around him In bay county by delta college sporting carharts and no orange on. Pretty sure he doesnt have permission to hunt there. Well he took a shot at something towards our woods, thankfully we didnt have a blind setup there cuz we would have been in line of fire! Anyways he never came over to look, but when he seen me walk over to that edge he quickly put his orange hat on and hightailed it across the field in the opposite direction. Next time im calling it in. No more free passes. Its becoming a safety issue and the deer he is shooting at come from our woods and will surely run back into our woods. No way id grant permission for this behavior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.