Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Genetic Testing of CWD Deer

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Liver and Onions 
#1 ·
As many of you know, there has been some discussion about the origin of the CWD positive deer reportedly found in Waucedah Twp of Dickinson County in the U.P. Because it was reportedly killed on what many believe to be the farm which kills more deer illegally than any place else (perhaps in the entire state), many locals have been very interested in the genetic testing of this deer in order to ascertain that it was at least somewhat related to another local deer, of which there have been some 1,745 additional deer tested here with no additional positives.

Finally today, I had a discussion with Laboratory Scientist, Caitlin Ott-Conn, of the Wildlife Disease Lab of the DNR, regarding this issue. She was very pleasant to talk to and assured me that the deer in question has had its genetic profile completed. Unfortunately, due to the cataloging and sequencing process that they are in the process of developing, the final results will not be known (or at least available to the public) until January.

While I have to say that I am disappointed that we won't know anything definitive for several more months, I have to say that I am pleased to know that the DNR is at least in the process of finalizing this very important research.

I have copied Ms Ott-Conn's email here:

Hi Frank,

It was very nice talking with you and as I mentioned earlier please reach out again if you have other questions regarding genetics. I assure you the Department is looking to get the results out as soon as possible! We are looking at the 1) relatedness of all CWD positive individuals; 2) the population of origin of each positive; as well as 3) sequencing the gene associated with CWD to determine the proportion of variation we have both in regions with CWD and eventually the whole state. This final sequencing portion will get towards addressing that “resistance” question we discussed, remembering that the term is relative and that no deer has been found to actually be resistant to CWD.

In response to your question for Disease Control Permits, Sarah Carlson is now heading those up for the Division and can be reached at: carlsons4@michigan.gov

Thanks,

Caitlin N. Ott-Conn
Laboratory Scientist
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Wildlife Disease Laboratory
4125 Beaumont Rd. Rm 250
Lansing, MI 48910
517-336-5047

OttConnC@michigan.gov

See less See more
#4 ·
The disease lab was very pleasant in my conversation too. (Different topic than the U.P. positive.)

Reactions: Wild Thing
#12 ·
There is nothing wrong with getting a second test done to confirm CWD in this lone deer. Heck the public would like that. How many deer have been tested since? I'm fine with what it is as of now but some might not be.
All deer that test positive or possible(weak positive) are sent to the Iowa lab for a 2nd test and confirmation.

L & O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.