Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Remington Core Lokt miss-fire

5K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  50incher 
#1 ·
Sleeve Automotive lighting Gas Electric blue Personal luxury car
This is a first for me! I’ve been shooting these bullets for almost 20 years and never had one fail to fire! Tonight my wife was doe hunting with her 30-06 with 150 grain core lokt PSP bullets and when she pulled the trigger on a big doe just 40 yds away all it did was click! Needless to say, she is not happy and never did get a shot off at her.

I read on here a week or 2 ago that someone else had a similar issue...anyone else have these issues with this round recently?

See less See more
#2 ·
There was an earlier thread about just this topic. What you're showing looks like a borderline light hit, meaning maybe the gun, maybe the ammo, to me.

#5 ·
View attachment 357331 This is a first for me! I’ve been shooting these bullets for almost 20 years and never had one fail to fire! Tonight my wife was doe hunting with her 30-06 with 150 grain core lokt PSP bullets and when she pulled the trigger on a big doe just 40 yds away all it did was click! Needless to say, she is not happy and never did get a shot off at her.

I read on here a week or 2 ago that someone else had a similar issue...anyone else have these issues with this round recently?
Look at that primer,doesn't look like it is seated right.

#9 ·
I’m hoping to be able to take a closer look at the shell tomorrow evening. After it didn’t fire she was worried it might go off so she dropped out the blind window to the ground and didn’t find it in the dark.

I will say, this gun has never miss fired and it’s about 20 years old. It is lubricated with a very thin rem oil out of an aerosol can for the past 20 years and this is the first issue its ever had. I’m very confident that this is not a gun issue.

#10 ·
I’m hoping to be able to take a closer look at the shell tomorrow evening. After it didn’t fire she was worried it might go off so she dropped out the blind window to the ground and didn’t find it in the dark.

I will say, this gun has never miss fired and it’s about 20 years old. It is lubricated with a very thin rem oil out of an aerosol can for the past 20 years and this is the first issue its ever had. I’m very confident that this is not a gun issue.
So is the round in the pic the actual misfired round?

#16 ·
Boy unless she bumped the bolt up between taking the safety off and the shot these lock the bolt down with the safety on, so it seems highly unlikely that the bolt being partially up would be the failure to fire cause.. I believe your right it is the fault of the cartridge...

#18 ·
Wow. First for me as well. I have grown up shooting the Rem CL's and have never had this happen nor have I heard of it happening. Shot them through all my rifles which is every deer hunting caliber. Was the box of shells older by chance? For science, have you tried shooting the round through the rifle again or another round from the box through the rifle? Cant argue that Remington has been having problems the last few years. Most likely is a quality issue.

#19 ·
Happened to me last year. only with a Winchester round. I email them and received a return call within a day. They wanted the misfire, the box it came out of, and any other boxes with the same lot number [I had 4 boxes]. They sent a label for UPS to pick up the boxes, no charge to me. I received a check from them to replace all 4 boxes.
Contact them.

#20 ·
Other rounds from that box have been shot already even through the same gun. Ammo is only 2-3 years old which is quite new for me. Don’t practice a lot with these guns so a box of ammo lasts quite a few years and I bought 6 boxes at the same time when I bought these the last time. Time to inspect every bullet closely before going out tonight....

#21 ·
My wife has had this happen at least 5 times, it’s cost her the deer she was trying to shoot every time, 4 times with Remington Core Loks and the last time with a Federal Premium, the rifle is a Remington Model 7 in 243. I have shot this rifle way more than her and it has never happen to me, so is it the rounds the shooter or the rifle, I took the bolt apart and inspected the spring for corrosion, everything looked good to me so it’s heading to a gunsmith before next year.
Flight

#24 ·
Finger Wood Thumb Gas Nail
Human body Finger Thumb Button Circle
Hand Finger Wood Thumb Gas
Wood Recreation Thumb Beer Nail

Here are more pics of the bullet. From these pics the primer looks a little suspect to me. I inspected the rest of the bullets in the box and the flat on the surface of the primer is not consistent from shell to shell. This makes me think some of the primers May not be seated squarely in the casing. I loaded her gun up with bullets that had a complete flat on the full primer face for tonight so hopefully she gets another chance and the gun fires this time!

#26 ·
Awhile back I had a box of Federal .300 Wby that had 3 of the 20 cartridges defective. There wasn’t any powder in them.

Fortunately I discovered it on the bench instead of the blind.

Federal handled it as good as I could ask for.

#28 ·
Cigar Hand Gesture Nail Tints and shades
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

It’s hard to get my iPhone to get pictures in focus of these primers. The one on right is a casing that shot fine and left is the miss fire. The flat on the primer is definitely bigger on the spent round than the miss fire. The dent in the miss fire primer is quite a bit different. The dent is bigger around than the firing pin and it doesn’t appear as deep as the fired round which has only the dimple from the firing pin and it appears deeper into the primer but it’s hard to tell which one is actually deeper...
Cigar Hand Gesture Nail Tints and shades
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

#29 ·
View attachment 357623 View attachment 357625

It’s hard to get my iPhone to get pictures in focus of these primers. The one on right is a casing that shot fine and left is the miss fire. The flat on the primer is definitely bigger on the spent round than the miss fire. The dent in the miss fire primer is quite a bit different. The dent is bigger around than the firing pin and it doesn’t appear as deep as the fired round which has only the dimple from the firing pin and it appears deeper into the primer but it’s hard to tell which one is actually deeper... View attachment 357623 View attachment 357625
The primer gets smashed on a fired case. Hard to really compare them that way.

A new primer should be seated flush or just recessed by a few thousandths. If they are actually crooked, like one side deeper than the other, it could be the problem.

#31 ·
if you would like two rule out the rifle take it to savage smith they can check the head spacing with go no go gauge. Personally I lean towards a bad primer, by the looks of the strike there is no reason why that round should not have went boom. Just about every manufacturer has had issues with primers at one time or another. My guess is that you have a bad primer. Just bad luck, you could likely shoot another 1000 rounds and not have the same issue. Murphy can be a a SOB at times.

#33 ·
Thanks everyone. I’m going to call Remington in the morning and see what they say. Was surfing their website tonight and they have a FAQ covering this issue specifically which states to call them to determine a proper course of action. Bad part is both boxes of ammo I have up here at deer camp are from the same lot so I suspect there may be more bad rounds in both boxes. I may go buy some Winchester Deer season XP’s tomorrow and re-sight in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.