Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Baiting proposed during disabled hunt.

10K views 93 replies 23 participants last post by  Scout 2 
#1 ·
QUOTE="the g1, post: 6786553, member: 48612"]Holy smokes what? Are the game laws based on science or emotion? If a baiting ban is the answer to slowing the spread than why would anyone get an exception?[/QUOTE]

For one ,to up the odds of killing deer (if killing deer is the answer to slowing the spread) from an accessible location..
Why do sharpshooters employ it?

Secondly to increase mobility of deer to less mobile hunters.

Thirdly ,because the state allows exceptions for the disabled.

Science can show a lack of mobility affects rage and effectiveness of terrain negotiation and deer encounters ,shooting , and recoveries. But do you really need science to tell you?
If so ,try hunting without walking your next time out. Then ask science about your experience.
Then without using your arms to shoot the next time. Ask science after if bait would affect anything.
Do you understand some hunters want to hunt , but are off-put by logistics you don't face?
See if any exception applied might affect your participation after hunting with the restriction of a disability as defined by the D.N.R.. Even without science having to tell you what laws are, or should be ; in play. Science might hint at the physical laws that limit mobility ,but good luck comprehending the effect without it being you involved.

Having hunted with hunters that had major challenges in getting around ,let alone shooting without time and effort beyond the "norm"( for example it takes more time using a lead sled ,and or mouth operated trigger device when accuracy is the goal.) I am well aware of why some one might prefer some bait in a strategic position.
Staying home seems more logical than trying to kill a deer ,but some folks are convinced they want to hunt. Somehow.

Depending on options ,not all disabled hunters use bait.
If you want to host one or more on your land you can insist on no bait and save the deer from your perceived threat by exception allowing baiting being proposed.
Do try to work with their limitations ,and put them on deer in a position allowing a patient shot at least once.
Otherwise , enjoy your mobility. Realize it is not the reason you are allowed to hunt though....

See less See more
#3 ·
Even if a CWD positive deer may use this special exception use of bait? And spread disease. I am pro baiting, but if this is allowed I then think the whole bait ban proposal is a "see we did something" action, to appease someone or a group and a agenda. I bet and predict a major fight yet to be had. Politicians will be involved, mostly due to MDNR needing to find money, as income from deer hunting will drop fast and costs will skyrocket. State politicians will put deer issues behind water for Flint, roads, and such, this is the "rock and hard spot" for the MDNR. Time will tell.

#4 · (Edited)
Even if a CWD positive deer may use this special exception use of bait?

Care to explain the difference between a legal bait pile and the apple tree planted by someone near a tree stand?

I never have understood how a person can be against bait yet go out and plant a food plot, afterall the main purpose of a food plot is to draw deer in. If a hunter puts out a legal bait pile he is only going to draw deer in to the bait, as long as the bait lasts then they are going back to the natural food source for the other 8.5 months or longer, up to 355 days. With food plots deer can feed all year in the same 100’x100’ area or 1/2 acre area or more. The food source is there from spring through early winter so transient deer can feed increasing the odds of spread of CWD. To me there is as much or more chance of spreading CWD from food plots as a bait pile, so let’s ban food plots that are not for human consumption or use.

Just because you call it a food plot instead of a bait plot or kill plot don’t mean it’s any different than a bait pile or a kill pile.

When I hear or read people will need to learn how to hunt again without bait, I think how will people hunt without planting rape or beets...... to hold the deer in their area.

Yes I am a disabled hunter.

#5 ·
Special Exception Use. Have heard this term used a lot lately. Mostly for over looking standards in communities. So, I guess it fits here. Truly a baiting ban has little to do with science anyway. So with the goals being getting a disabled hunter out to hunt, and killing deer. It's not a bad way to go. Certainly if a deer has CWD it's out there spreading it anyway. No matter what it's feeding on.

I'd like to hear what the disabled hunters think about this.

#19 ·
This was not intended to be a bait vs plot thread. Host a disabled hunter with either ,or without either and put them on deer; it is doubtful many will care to debate either practice at great length unless they are online alot.... There are some that will though.
Just get them on a decent hunting spot regardless if you care to "help". Argue later.

Given the choice of hunting a plot vs bait could be expected to favor the plot.
More so if the hunter is stubbornly trying to hunt solo or do the work as much as they can ,and happy to not have to haul the bait. Though the full legal amount is not required to pause a deer ,it still takes work with a usually scented mobility device to acquire and then place it.. Then the set up putting shooter and weapon in a position facing it. Worthless if deer are wary of the bait.

The disabled can hunt multiple seasons ,but the brief specific disabled hunt (on private land) has to be considered from the landowners view too. Hosting hunters is one thing. Not all landowners put in plots ,or care to have those they do put in disturbed.

For any hunt allowed on public lands , a state plot is expected to have enough hunting on it.
Ideal though it may be depending on location and terrain. Hunters are not allowed to plot public land ,even if they have the logistics to do so worked out.
For a season disabled hunters are hunting public land ,baiting will have detractors in greater numbers. Though it has not been established yet that they will be allowed to.

Access factors for some hunters more than others. Not a lazy thing , but how far from the vehicle is too far varies with the individual ;with some not leaving the vehicle.

Bait can divert traffic ,and or pause it.
Ideally a prime spot waits for all where no bait or plot is needed.
Reality says otherwise. So for some , a portable food source/snack or treat keeps their optimism up , and once in a while can provide a shot opportunity.
Yes ,for some simply seeing a deer is exciting. Still, not unlike the able bodied ,sometimes more is desired.
Should an exception to no baiting be allowed the disabled?
Without prime hunting in range it could up the odds. Individual sites will vary in it's effectiveness.

More than bait is the issue. Whether it is allowed or not , access to decent sites will factor more. As will an individuals mobility and desire and options in networking with others.

A temporary bait pile where few deer exist is not going to destroy Mi. hunting.
Where many exist ,the bait won't shortly ,maybe.
With a minority of hunters having the option and not all of them using it the impact would be different than everybody doing so. They don't all when it is legal now.

#22 · (Edited)
Sorry don't help. I demand monetary restitution....Or at least a map to Jr's hunting land with his hunting schedule noted on it.:D

Don't sweat it. Bait and plots are contentious. Little matter though to some one who would hunt but doesn't. Baiting or plots does not mean they would or will either.
Still need a place to get to and a way to get to it.

Let's get more of them in the field first ,and then argue about how baiting should or should not be involved.
No, not everyone can expect better fields. But if bait encourages one reclusive disabled shut in to get out and hunt ,I'm all for it.
Not because I favor bait as "The" way to get a shot at a deer. But because not going out is worse.

A friend now gone.. found a shut in. One who could remember hunting ,watched hunting vids still ,but knew hunting was over for him.
Not a girlie guy but he wept when it was suggested he could again.

Another was a recluse and it got worse at the end.
His smile though on the couple hunts I saw him at was not that of someone who was down.
He suffered dearly but was hunting. After years of trying ,often not closing the deal trying to get a shot using a lead sled and sip and puff trigger device.. he finally scored.That mattered to some other hunters. More than their own hunting.. If bait was involved ,I could care less. But he might have.

#74 ·
View attachment 316776 Here’s my plate, do alittle research on what it takes to get it. The DNR denied my permit for standing vehicle. So it’s not so easy to get.
I know it is out of subject, and my post may get deleted. I was compelled at the very least to take a moment and thank you for your service. So sorry for the sacrifice you gave for the freedoms we share and at times take for granted. God Bless you, and all those who have served.

#72 ·
Interesting, with the ADA I am not sure the MDNR is qualified to take on the burden of defining a human physical disability. I am speaking of the baiting exception for disabled. They have a big job figuring out the animal disease issue. I wonder if they want to claim a person the SOS recognized as disabled is not disabled? Time and courts will decide that, if they make a baiting while disabled exception.

#78 ·
Canard= a small winglike projection attached to an aircraft forward of the main wing to provide extra stability or control, sometimes replacing the tail.

Ancient canard=An old device used to provide stability.

Bait= food to entice fish of other animal as prey.
Food= a nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that a plant obsorb, in order to maintain life or growth.
Plot= a plan made in secret by a group of people to do something illegal or harmful.

It seems to me that the ones that want to ban bait piles, 10’x10’ with 2 gallons spread over then are the ones that are ancient. When you plant the same small area with bait/food to bring deer in year after year you are running the same risk of the prion’s being spread as the other.

#80 ·
Canard= a small winglike projection attached to an aircraft forward of the main wing to provide extra stability or control, sometimes replacing the tail.

Ancient canard=An old device used to provide stability.

Bait= food to entice fish of other animal as prey.
Food= a nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that a plant obsorb, in order to maintain life or growth.
Plot= a plan made in secret by a group of people to do something illegal or harmful.

It seems to me that the ones that want to ban bait piles, 10’x10’ with 2 gallons spread over then are the ones that are ancient. When you plant the same small area with bait/food to bring deer in year after year you are running the same risk of the prion’s being spread as the other.
What kind of crop can hold up on a 10 x 10 area for years ?

#79 ·
Canard is French for duck.
The term of affection is/was Mon Petite canard.(sp.) "My little duck".
:D

Reactions: jr28schalm
#85 ·
Why not? It spreads deer out, it may improve public land hunting plus spreads DNR money around the state. The Lions share of the Wildlife budget and land acquisition is spent in zone 3.
So you plant food plots on your property to see less deer ?
View attachment 316776 Here’s my plate, do alittle research on what it takes to get it. The DNR denied my permit for standing vehicle. So it’s not so easy to get.
Thank you for your service !
The answer is the state wants to draw deer away from cattle. Verification of a plots ability to influence deer behavior.
Correct, generally the goal is to attract them to areas where hunters can kill them.

#86 ·
Reactions: hommer23
#88 ·
It's alright.
I have both derailed and killed threads without trying....usually.

#93 ·
The deer hunting world has become very similar to the political world, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pelosi running Qdmamucc soon, and pushing the squad for the NRC.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Ewwwww.
And you have somehow ,suddenly; made Whitmer less scary.:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.