Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Water Softener Issue

678 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  FREEPOP 
#1 ·
My softener suddenly started using salt at over double the normal rate. "The guy" came out in mid December and in less time than it takes to type this post changed a couple small nozzles and told me all was as good as new. The softener is probably close to 25 years old.

Due to snow on the outside basement entry I did not go down to check on anything during the winter. A couple days ago the snow left and about that time I noticed the water getting harder. You guessed it, salt reservoir which always lasted about eight months is empty after about four months, and is also 3/4 full of water.

Fixable or time for a new softener? FM

#5 ·
8 month's seems like a long time to hold salt, not noing how many pounds your tank holds or how much water you consume
do you test for hardness?
is your softener mechanically metered?
try these guys-https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/water-softener-forum-questions-and-answers.22/

#6 ·
#9 ·
Thanks everybody. Owing to the age of the softener and after talking with the two local dealers, one of which offered me a deal I just could not refuse, I have decided to purchase a new unit. FM

Reactions: d_rek
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.