Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Destruction of No Trespassing signs..............

12K views 79 replies 38 participants last post by  TCcrawdad 
#1 ·
This subject could end up in any of this forums categories but I just need some input on how to proceed. I have a neighbor that has in the past few years gotten rather odd and anti neighborly. Last Sunday I posted our property and for the first time, I put a " No Trespassing " sign in the corner of our property, bordering on his . Today I found that sign jammed into a tree stake in our yard. I called our local CO but he hasn't got back to me but how do the rest of you feel I should proceed ? I've tried to be friendly this summer, trying to get a conversation going but they won't talk to us. I can't figure out what is the problem but am a little concerned on our safety with this kind of behavior.

#6 ·
It probably would have been wise to contact your neighbor before putting the signs up. I still have to sign a portion of our lines this year and I intend to do that. I plan to tell my neighbor that I am putting signs up - not because I am concerned about him or his son trespassing, but because the entire boundary has to be properly (I believe the law says "conspicuously" or "adequately" posted) in order to prosecute in the event that I do have trespassers. I will tell him that I have captured trail cam photos of several trespassers (which I have) over the past several years and that if I ever get one that I can I.D. I want to prosecute but I have to be legally posted in order to do so.

I would still contact your neighbor before you put the signs back up.

Good luck.

#15 ·
I've tried talking to them at home or up town and they will not respond. His wife has gone as far as if she's in her truck at the grocery store and sees me walking across the lot , will just lay down in the cab waiting for me to leave. I really haven't a clue what happened. Never had a fight with them.

#7 ·
Some people get all wacked out instead of talking first I know this firsthand when a very large tree on my property blew over 1/2 0n my neighbors .The signs went up immediately .I had always been cordial with them and could not under stand .Seems there addict son was cutting firewood for sale that year and he wanted as much wood as he could get .Had they asked I would have gave him the whole tree as it was 48 "at the stump and I would never put the effort into cutting it up .15 years later the big half still sits on my side .

#8 ·
Instead of just "trying to be friendly", have you tried just talking to the guy to see what the issue is? Sometimes its best to just get right to the point instead of beating around the bush. Just explain that you would like and prefer to have a neighborly relationship, and figure out what you, him, or both of you can change to make that happen. Without having that conversation you will probably never figure this out. For all you know you could have accidentally done something to offend them and not even realized it. Or they might think you did something that someone else actually did. Communication is key.

#9 ·
When you put new signs up make sure to put a few on your neighbors trees, just to drive your point home.

Our neighbors went one step further this summer. The property is split by a road but on their side they used caution tape as a border on their property. I'm not sure if there was a murder I missed or they're just really worried about trespassers.

#12 ·
Replace the sign but coat it with, well, something* afterwards.

*Vaseline, motor oil, the juice in the bottom of a jar of Gulp Bait, drink a huge Slurpee before you head out there, lots of possibilities

Or see what's up first, and if you're blown off, go crazy with it.

#14 ·
Well when thats the only good option....

Hell, even sending a letter to the neighbor to break the ice and see what the problem is would be better than some of the "just take it a step further and hope he stops" options that always get brought up on here. Maybe this guy really is just a hopeless ****, but it doesnt sound to me that that can be determined for sure yet at this point without some kind of communication between the two. Just because the guys neighbor doesnt want to make small talk, doesnt mean he wouldnt be willing to hash out whatever the issue is. At least then you know for sure. Since your stuck living next to them regardless.

#19 ·
Well when thats the only good option....

Hell, even sending a letter to the neighbor to break the ice and see what the problem is would be better than some of the "just take it a step further and hope he stops" options that always get brought up on here. Maybe this guy really is just a hopeless ****, but it doesnt sound to me that that can be determined for sure yet at this point without some kind of communication between the two. Just because the guys neighbor doesnt want to make small talk, doesnt mean he wouldnt be willing to hash out whatever the issue is. At least then you know for sure. Since your stuck living next to them regardless.
Dear neighbor,

I'm concerned about our relationship. I put up a no trespassing sign and you trespassed, took it down, and stuffed it in my yard. What did I do wrong? Can we please just talk so I can better understand how to navigate your deviant ways? Pretty please???

Love,

Your neighbor

#21 ·
Now, now, now. That's not very sensitive of you.

What if yellow colored signs are a violation of the neighbors's safe space? What if yellow triggers aggression in the poor fellow?

These are the types of things you should think of that could in fact be reasonable explanations for the guy simply returning the sign to its proper owner.

Personally, I know that if I ripped down a neighbor's sign and stuffed it in his yard, I would be expecting to be understood rather than judged.

Can't we all just get along?

#35 ·
Thanks for the replies but there is no humor in this situation right now. They've done some other things we suspect and my wife is getting nervous about their mental state of mind. We've owned the property for about 10 years and I've never felt the need to post signs in that corner but after today I think I may post about 8 more along their property line !

#43 ·
Maybe the neighbor is just a plain A-HOLE and nothing short of "Johnny Law" is going to deter him from being that way.
There may have been a tragedy in his family or lost his job or something like that? Not defending his actions by any means just throwing those possibilities into the mix.
Either way I would make another call to the CO, especially if things have escalated.
Good luck and hopefully the situation is resolved with no more issues.

#45 ·
Maybe the neighbor is just a plain A-HOLE and nothing short of "Johnny Law" is going to deter him from being that way.
There may have been a tragedy in his family or lost his job or something like that? Not defending his actions by any means just throwing those possibilities into the mix.
Either way I would make another call to the CO, especially if things have escalated.
Good luck and hopefully the situation is resolved with no more issues.
Or maybe the OP is the A-hole....how are we to know. We are only getting one side of the story you know.

#57 ·
I can spot a dorky neighbor a mile away. I have a few that I tolerate and that I am fake nice to for the most part. But sometimes it's hard when you only have an hour to cut the grass and the half retard wants to try and talk.

You ever think about how your neighbor could be telling people he actually likes, about the creepy guy following him and his wife around in store parking lots. Or always trying to talk them at worst moments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.