Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

perch spoons and a red bead?

12K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  jjc155 
#1 ·
Im tired of catching so many dinks and have never rarely successfully fished with the spoon and red bead. Was out today and was running a combination of minnow tip up, glowing teardrop with a waxy and the silver spoon with a red bead. Caught a ton of fish but had to sort through ended with 25 fish above 7" at cotton. All on the minnows and teardrop. The red bead spoon combo seems to attract them but they never hit it. What is the correct jigging technique for the spoon bead combo and do you tip it with anything?

#2 ·
i dont use the spoon and bead, but basically you need to develop a pattern and find what works. get you jig positioned relatively close to bottom and hold it dead still on the initial drop. jig it up anywhere from 6 inches to a couple of feet (this is the tricky part) then return and HOLD....they usually strike during the holding phase when the jig settles into its starting position.

you have to figure out what kind of jigging pattern works on any given day. it could be a single jig, drop and hold, two quick jigs drop and hold etc.....it helps if you have a vex or lowrance to see how the fish are reacting, but if you dont, its trial or error. Forget the jigging spoon IMO...try the Scud Bug in RED or Brown and fish it the same way ;)

#3 ·
There was a time I was a bait fisherman. Then I began fishing with a guy from work who used nothing but a small hammered silver spoon with a red bead on it. Saw him catch fish after fish, bring them up, bang them on the ice and was back fishing...all the while as I'm baiting hooks, getting my hands cold and wet and never out catching him.

One morning I had caught what I considered a nice mess and said what the heck...put the bait away and let's give this bead thing a try. That was at least 15 years ago and haven't bought bait since that day.

There's no real secret it. 6" or so off the bottom, 2-3 jigs, let it sit a few seconds, then repeat. I prefer to use a spring bobber but if your more comfortable with a floater, then I would recommend a small balsa bobber, just big enough to stay afloat without submerging. The bigger fish will take the bobber down slowly. Lift and keep solid line tension all the way up. No need to jerk the pole to set the hook.

The key is getting "confidence" in using it. I can honestly say that in all those years I've never felt out-fished by some guy using bait or that the quantity or quality of his catch was worth getting my hands cold and wet again.

Spend one day, drive right past the bait store and don't stop. Walk out on the ice with just a couple beads and nothing else. Also, STAY MOBILE...15 minutes in a spot and if it doesn't produce then move. Very easy to do with one pole with one bead. It may change the way you fish for a long time to come.

BTW...I still use nothing but the same supply of hammered silver spoons with a red bead that I bought from my buddy 15 years ago.

Good luck.

#4 ·
I have been pretty successful using spoons and beads. I do better with small jigging raps with a red bead under it. I haven't figured out any one jigging technique that works best though. It seems to be a case by case basis with each fish. A good way to attract the fish to you, is to slap the bottom and kick up some dirt. When they come in keep the jig in the dust cloud and a lot of the time they will at least swat at it. My most productive lures, have actually been my walleye lures. Do-Jiggers, ficious jigs, medium sized jiggin raps. Its a good idea to bring an arsenal of bait. I always bring waxies, minnows, spikes, and beads. If one isn't working try another, and if they get tight lipped just stick em. That's the beauty of LSC, being able to spear.

#5 ·
I believe the big spoons get their attention and brings them in. I usually jig the spoons pretty hard. If thier not interested in the spoon, I'll have a dead stick tipped with a minnow or spike for them.

I also like tipping the hard bead spoons with a spike. I believe the meaty morsel gives them a little more flash and sent.

#6 ·
I believe the big spoons get their attention and brings them in. I usually jig the spoons pretty hard. If thier not interested in the spoon, I'll have a dead stick tipped with a minnow or spike for them.

I also like tipping the hard bead spoons with a spike. I believe the meaty morsel gives them a little more flash and sent.
Use fireline and pop that spoon hard. let it settle 5 seconds then do it 1000 more times.

#7 ·
I make some of those spoons and how i tell people is to jig it 2-3 times pause a few seconds then pop it hard upward about 6-12 inches and let it flutter on slack line,Be a line watcher because as lure flutters out to the side and cones back watch for any stop in the line if it stops set hook as a perch or crappie has just sucked it in.i use this technique 100% of the time with good results. every once in a while pound bottom of spoon into the bottom and let it kick up puffs of dirt and leave it there a second perch alot of times will grab it right off the bottom! The lures are called diamond willows and i sell them at joe's bait on 16 and jefferson will have more at other locations soon!
Rich

#8 ·
I make some of those spoons and how i tell people is to jig it 2-3 times pause a few seconds then pop it hard upward about 6-12 inches and let it flutter on slack line,Be a line watcher because as lure flutters out to the side and cones back watch for any stop in the line if it stops set hook as a perch or crappie has just sucked it in.i use this technique 100% of the time with good results. every once in a while pound bottom of spoon into the bottom and let it kick up puffs of dirt and leave it there a second perch alot of times will grab it right off the bottom! The lures are called diamond willows and i sell them at joe's bait on 16 and jefferson will have more at other locations soon!
Rich
Let's see some pic's of those spoon's...

#12 ·
Nice Gmann,,, now those are some of Walleyeatsag's models? I don't think I've ever seen that pattern before.
William, yes they are, thank you, guess i should have said that when i posted the pic, I also make my own but don't sell them, have known rich (walleyeatsag) for a long time and I have used his lures and they do work especially for finicky fish.

#13 ·
you have to figure out what kind of jigging pattern works on any given day. it could be a single jig, drop and hold, two quick jigs drop and hold etc.....it helps if you have a vex or lowrance to see how the fish are reacting, but if you dont, its trial or error. Forget the jigging spoon IMO...try the Scud Bug in RED or Brown and fish it the same way ;)
:yeahthat: Dont forget to bounce off the bottom, or lay it on the bottom. Like Koby said, the approach may change day to day, but its still the same thing, trying to trigger a fish to hit.....I was told years ago, take a string and stick, and play with a kitten or young cat. Supposely, they pounce just like a fish hits its prey!!!! Get off the bait thing, a spoon will do wonders, if you get good at it.......Have confidence in your technique......

#15 ·
man that is odd. I have caught a metric crap ton of perch on Mcgathy and Kens spoons. Red beads seem to out perform other colors in LSC but have caught them on probably every color bead that I have.

What I do is I drop all the way to the bottom and pound the bottom 4 or 5 times to get a muck stirred up. That will bring the fish in to see what is making the mess. Then a rip the spoon up about 2 feet several times and then let it drop back down to just above bottom. Then I usually have a fish on.

Spoons are for the days that you know that fish are being agressive. Its my opinion that they are biting out of anger or shear curiousity instead of thinking that are getting a meal.

J-

#16 ·
I, too , am a rookie on the spoon/bead bait. Heard a lot about it last year( first yr on Lake St Clair),also seen many seasoned fisherman(politically correct old-timers) on Canandian side, killem with large spoon and bead. Itiially thought they were just a large tearddrop with minnow. But found a spear hole, set up shanty, and watched the great action of these spoons. no one ever mentioned. They are amazing . But like mentioned prior , they should be jigged on a slack line to allow the spoon to shimmy on the fall. I am no expert , just stating what I observed, and had no clue why the bait was sooo popular. Also you should be quick on the inhale, as they dont hang on long. Good Luck

#18 ·
Over the last 2 or 3 years I have statrted to force myself to fish with a spoon and bead as well as jigging raps with a jensen egg. It has been fairly productive. I find that I'm buying minows less frequently. Haven't bought any yet this year and 2 of my 3 outings have been respectable so far this year. Except for the short pause or hesitation after the drop I find you have to keep them moving, sometimes rather aggressively. Everyday can be different in what will trigger a bite.

#19 ·
.....I was told years ago, take a string and stick, and play with a kitten or young cat. Supposely, they pounce just like a fish hits its prey!!!! ......
I've tried this and it does seem to be good training, however that damn cat is a lot harder to get the hook out of its mouth than a fish :lol::evilsmile

Sorry, too much time here at work, need more time fishing.

#20 ·
. Red beads seem to out perform other colors in LSC but have caught them on probably every color bead that I have.

Then a rip the spoon up about 2 feet several times and then let it drop back down to just above bottom. Then I usually have a fish on.

Dont tell all the secrets......let them find out for themselves, what took years to figure out for me, a guy can read on the internet and capitalize on a bucket of nice slobs:lol::lol:

#21 ·
I have used only beads for the last 10 years or so. I fish Airport Bay so I can watch what is happening with the perch. Occasionally, live minnows make a difference, but only on rare occasion in my experience.
1. When they are biting, any color works. The littler perch are, by and large, more aggressive than the big ones (>10"). It's hard to get to the big ones sometimes.
2. Sometimes color makes a difference (I think), but can't prove it. My favorite is the yellowish bead.
3. Big movements draw perch in, no doubt. Bigger lures usually mean bigger perch.
4. If they are not biting, forget it. Neither minnows or beads, or colors or lures make a difference. Big movement, little movement, spiking bottom, etc, when they just slowly swim by or go up to the lure and then back off, GO HOME.

#22 ·
I've tried this and it does seem to be good training, however that damn cat is a lot harder to get the hook out of its mouth than a fish :lol::evilsmile

Sorry, too much time here at work, need more time fishing.
Im with ya, wishin i was fishin!!!!!

#23 ·
3. Big movements draw perch in, no doubt. Bigger lures usually mean bigger perch.
4. If they are not biting, forget it. Neither minnows or beads, or colors or lures make a difference. Big movement, little movement, spiking bottom, etc, when they just slowly swim by or go up to the lure and then back off, GO HOME.
Or wait till they turn on......or move to find fish that are feeding!!!! Simcoe is famous for this....10 holes, then the 11th is FISH ON!!!!!! God i love catching SLOBS through a 5" Hole!!!!!

#24 ·
I have used only beads for the last 10 years or so. I fish Airport Bay so I can watch what is happening with the perch. Occasionally, live minnows make a difference, but only on rare occasion in my experience.
1. When they are biting, any color works. The littler perch are, by and large, more aggressive than the big ones (>10"). It's hard to get to the big ones sometimes.
2. Sometimes color makes a difference (I think), but can't prove it. My favorite is the yellowish bead.
i disagree with point #4.

I have fished strictly Wigglers for the last 5 years, up until this year (switched to the Scud Bug). I have watched the fish come in on days when they "are not biting", especially the bigger perch, take a wiggler laying on the bottom 90% of the time....its like they are programmed to eat those things, but you will spend a fortune using them, trust me. Of course, this only matters if you are sight fishing and can see the fish bite. On days when they "dont bite" they "suck". They will suck that wiggler in off the bottom, and spit it out in a split second, and if you cant see it happen and set the hook, youd never know it even happened.

#25 ·
G mann thanks for posting the pics! they are called Diamond Willows and i just sent some to Anglers Point Marina today and also have them at Joe's bait and tackle on 16 and jefferson they are on the bright orange cards! will be supplying other stores soonthey have a fish scale pattern on them! Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.