Which hand line reel?

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by sraedel, Apr 18, 2010.

1. I am looking to get an used match set of hand line reels. I would appreciate you views on which manufactures are best as far as: ease of use, reliability, availability of parts, etc. Any additional information would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. A&S reels are the new Cadillac of the handline world. Hotwired will tell you that Schaller's are the way to go but the A&S's answer all your questions about ease of use.

3. Got 2 A&S reells been using for about 20 + years. Only thing I have done to them is replace the wire line. Couldn't tell you about any other cause I haven't used the others.

Good luck!
  4. i have a&s and schaller's..they both work good but i prefer the spring in the schaller's its all about preference
  5. A&S all the way. Trouble fee.
  6. If you find a couple of St Clairs, they are high quality also. They are machined out of solid aluminum with metal gears and a nice spring. They are not made anymore and can be difficult to find. Hotwired is probably the expert here, give that man a jigging rod and he wouldn't know which end to hold on to. :p ;)
  7. A&S are still being made and parts a readly available. They also are a great real.
  8. Got 2 a&s reels that I've used for almost 30 years trouble free. Only thing done to them have been a good cleaning once. GREAT REELS, I'd recommend them.
  9. Can't go wrong w/ A&S. Smooth, dependable and still in production.
  10. A & S are very good and dependable reels.
    But so are Schallers.
    You won't find any reel recoil tighter than a Schaller though.

Try letting go of the wire while trolling 1-1.5 mph with a 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs sinker on any reel besides a Schaller and see what happens.

Try feeding your wire as fast as you can back into any other reel besides a Schaller and see what happens.

Just my 2 cents.
  11. If your looking for used reel's I have seen abunch of them on Craigslist in the Detroit metro-sporting goods section
  12. You forgot the "R"...;)
  13. :yeahthat: gold craps fall in the same category