close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WCO #1 of 2017

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Luv2hunteup, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

BearMagnum likes this.
  2. Musket

Musket Premium Member

1. Early baiting. I am not in favor of opening up baiting for the reasons cited by the department.
    2. 10 days for baiters. Bait hunters get 5 days quite time before and the first 5 days to themselves after the opener. I agree with the department that it should be left at that.
    3. Barrels. I am completely against allowing the use of barrels on public and CFA land. What a mess, will make us all look bad.
    4.Non resident license. I think the state should open it up with no restrictions to the percent give out.
    5. Chocolate ban. Way late to the show, should have been done a few years ago.
    6. Concurrent state wide season opener. Not sure what the issues are surrounding the desire for the change.

License quota. If the state is once again raising the number of tags for the Bergland Unit because of low hunter harvest they are once again going in the wrong direction. Baldwin guys better lookout, if I had the points to hunt that unit this year, I would do everything I could to make that possible.

3. wildthing

wildthing

1. Opposed to beginning baiting in July. Support the DNR position that 31 days of baiting prior to season is enough.
    2. Support an increase from 5 days to 10 for bait hunters prior to hound hunting. In our area at least, there have been definite conflicts between bait hunters and hound hunters. One year we had hounds running bears off of our baits before we even had a chance to hunt ourselves. This was on posted private property - hounds can't read posted signs.
    3. Barrels on public property. No opinion - I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. Perhaps require the hunters name & address on the barrel so you know who littered if it isn't removed after the season.
    4. Opposed to an increase in non-resident permits. It is difficult enough to draw a permit now and they are further reducing available permits in my area (Carney) by 120 this year. An increase to 5% would reduce resident permits by about 200 licenses. The conflicts we have with hound hunters are with hunters from Wisconsin.
    5. Ban on chocolate - Fully support.
    6. Concurrent opening dates statewide. No opinion as I have no dog in this fight.

4. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

1. 31 days is enough.

2. This should be increased to 10 days then let the dogs tear up everyone's bait sites.

3. Barrel are great tool and I see no reason to over regulate this. Name address posted on the barrel and if it's left you get a fine.

4. Hard enough to get permits now why increase non residents?

5. Again Over regulation. Hunter awareness is the answer. Think of all the bait that has a little chocolate in it that will no be banned. So dumb

6. No opinion.

Interested to see what the Baldwin tag increase will do.

5. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

For the guys who could not make it to the Bear Forum each of these items were discussed, sometimes in great detail. These proposals are informational only at this time. Contact the members of the NRC if you strongly support or are opposed to the recommendation. The NRC should vote on this at their March meeting.