Under water light at night

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by deputy865, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Wow.. Been a LOOOONG time since I've been in this forum..

Anyway,

Read along time ago and saw a few pictures of people using some sort of tube light (green i believe) at night. The just threw it in the the water and it was help up by floats. It said that it attracts the bugs and baitfish.. Which ultimately attracts the bigger fish.. Was wondering if anyone can verify this and if anyone has a way to make one of these lights that can be operated from a boat (for cheap).. I saw a few online but they were expensive..

Figured it might be worth a try.. I like fishing at night under light bobbers for whatever will bite.. Thought this little gadget might add to the fun.

Thanks,

Shane

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. They do work at times....... Easiest way to make one is buy any old style headlight with the regular prongs on it......take it to any arts/craft store and find a styrofoam ring the kind that are used in flower settings. Put bulb in ring and hook wires to a battery and set it in the water...... Lots of guys use them for crappie fishing..........used more often in the winter for smelt fishing.

As for the price it's hard to beat the one that Cabelas sells. $19.99 and ready to go....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=8&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

#2 wally-eye, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  3. i been doing some reading on night fishing and came across this home made lantern holder made out of conduit pipe, to me it looks easy enough to make at a low coast

[​IMG]

4. wal mart has berkley branded ones for $8

5. Is it legal to use a light, in any way, while night fishing?

6. according to the DNR
    Are there any restrictions on artificial lights when fishing?
    Response (Lynne Thoma) - 06/25/2009 02:59 PM
    No, it is not a violation of law for an angler to use an artificial light while hook and line fishing. This would include the use of a light hanging over the side of a vessel or a submerged light which may or may not attract fish to the area. The legality of the taking is determined by the fish voluntarily taking a baited hook or lure in its mouth.

Now you know...

7. I saw these in Florida. http://underwaterfishlight.com/ Apparently they work very well by attracting the zoo plankton at first and then bait fish and so on. For $400 they better...

8. I am going out tonite and will bring along those light sticks, you know the ones you snap and then shake. They have a tie at the top. Will have to add weights. Will let you know. Got them in orange or green Wally World.

9. We have one of the $8 berkely ones.
    Lots of fun to watch! The minnows/baitfish come in to the light , then b4 ya know it crappies are right there, gulpin' the minnows.