two track roads - legal access?? as well as ORV tags

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by snowman11, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this question...

    The little two tracks that run all through most of the national and state forest (in this case it's national forest). Are they legal for travel with a licensed vehicle? I believe they are old logging trails but not sure.

    Reason I ask is I found a place where I'd like to set some traps, but it's a hike to get back in...there is a two track that takes me most of the way in. They are obviously travelled a decent amount, but they are unmarked....and I dont care to use "everyone else does it" as an excuse to an officer :)

    And if I want to operate my vehicle on the marked trails, I just have to get the ORV tag, correct?
  2. In this case, I would contact the local USFS office in that area. They as well as the DNR should have maps of all ORV trails. The maps should be marked or color coded to show restrictions. Also trails in National Forests are Open unless marked Closed. As for an ORV sticker goes I have one on my truck and my quads. But that is me I know that if you go to silver lake sand dunes aand you take your vehicle out on the dunes you need to have the ORV Sticker. Thats why I buy one every year.

  3. Elk Guide

    Elk Guide Banned

    I do alot of driving on two tracks up north elk guiding and it is legal to drive on most two tracks as long as they are not designated as orv trails in that case you would need a orv sticker . In most counties all you need is a license plate on your vehicle and its legal however it is not legal for orvs to operate on county roads or two tracks which are not designated for there use this i have been told by at least two DNR officers up north...I am not sure about your area i would contact the DNR in your area....hope this helps
  4. Snowman the answer to your question is right in The Handbook of Michigan Off-Road Vehical Laws. This is copied from that publication.

    ORV Operation on National Forest Lands
    Huron-Manistee National Forests
    The Huron-Manistee National Forests’ ORV policy is “closed unless posted open” for all riders on all trails. Motorized vehicles that are licensed as ORVs may operate on trails, roads, and areas that are designated and signed for ORV use. All National Forest roads are open to all “street-licensed” vehicles unless posted closed. Contact the Huron-Manistee National Forest for more information at 1-800-821-6263

    And here is some more info that you might find usefull.

    The following terms may be used when describing where or how ORVs may be operated on state-owned lands:

    Forest Roads: hard surfaced roads, gravel and dirt roads, and other routes that can be traveled by a conventional 2-wheel-drive vehicle designed for highway use (passenger car). Forest roads include fire lanes and logging roads. Forest roads do not include any state, federal, or county highways or roads. In general, forest road means a road other than a county or state road on which a family car can operate without assistance.
    Designated: any place that is posted as open for ORV use with appropriate signs.
    Designated Route: a forest or county road that has been signed for ORV use by the DNR. Use on these roads is allowed for ORVs of all sizes. Either an ORV license or a Secretary of State (SOS) conventional license is required.
    Designated Area: an area that is signed for cross-country ORV use by the DNR. An ORV license is required.
    Forest Trail: designated paths or ways that can only be traveled by vehicles that are less than 50 inches in width. An ORV license is required.

    I hope this answers all your questions.
  5. yah, i looked in there...and i'm just not sure if it would be considered a forest road or a forest trail. my uncle routinely travels them in his station wagon...but at the same time, i wouldn't dare attempt it in my hyundai (that is, without a shovel and a winch).

    The "roads" are dirt covered...or compacted sand to be more specific, and are definately travelled throughout the year on occasion....but it's still questionable. in this case, i think they are more often travelled for people to dump their "insert bulky steel item or yard waste here".

    Just wasn't sure what the general designation of "two track" was.

    I'll give them a call I I need to find out some further information on firewood permits for my uncle (he needs the wood, but is too old to do the work...want to see if i can pull the permit for him, or if he needs to pull the permit and be present any time i am gathering for him).

Share This Page