Two HUGE Bowfin/Dogfish

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by STOLI69, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My neighbor was fishing my lake last night and he called me around
    8:00 pm and wanted to know if Dogfish were a threat to our lake. I was not sure but because it was soo big...and I thought I had heard they had a lung...I told him to put it in a bucket with water and we would take a pic and then take it back to the water. He ended up catching a second one with in another hour. Both of them were caught on live Perch. The smaller Dogfish took a 8 inch perch and the bigger one took a 4 inch perch. I am glad we put them back in the lake because Chris did some re-search and they are actually GOOD for a lake. Neat looking and incredibly NASTY fish. Good thing Chris had a glove on cuz one of them bit him and did not want to let go. They also got their limit of Hogzilla Gills:cool:!
    Don:fish:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 STOLI69, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. I would of never turned them loose, they feed on the other spawning fish eggs!

3. My neighbor Chris, the guy who caught them, spent a couple hours researching them and sent me the links. NO where did it say to kill them or that they are bad for the lake. Actually, all the literature I read said they were good for the lake and a sign of a healthy lake:cool:. I can attest to the fact my lake IS healthy;)! Happy fishing.

4. I have caught some huge dogfish on the muskegon river and they are awesome fighters. Many fish feed on eggs and I am glad you threw them back in. They were put here for a reason and should remain there.
    sslopok

5. Thanx sslopok;). I thought we did the right thing:corkysm55. Have a great night.

6. you just killed more fish by putting them back in the lake....THEY HAVE NO NATURAL PREDATORS..so they will keep eating your gills and perch..and nothing will eat them:lol::lol: nice job!!!the only good dogfish is a dead dogfish..same goes for carp
    Stick

7. see below....some people think carp are harmless....

this is what i think!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sfw1960

Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Predators keep population stunting in CHECK.
    :fish2:
    STOLI69 DID do the right thing , plus he's more educated than others on this site....

:lol:

9. I caught this dogfish the other day, dam thing bit me too. Just like the Sturgeon, Dogfish are prehistoric and yes they suck air into their bladder when in low oxygen level waters. They are fun fish to fight but I hate those bastards.:lol:
    [​IMG]

10. I DISAGREE 100% ill be the one laughing when all your game fish are depleted by trash fish...every trash fish we kill ..we help you rod and reel people out..every carp we kill thats one more hatch of eggs that survive and more plants...every dogfish we kill thats a few more fish you all can catch,,every gar pike we shoot thats more game fish for you guys....so your telling me that so the lakes that are open to any size pike are properly managed..? and in check..no...i dont think so JMO

11. DE82

DE82 Banned

:lol: One of the most uneducated statements I've ever read in my life

First of all you are aware that carp are not native and bowfin are right? Because if you were you wouldn't make a statement like "they will eat all the game fish" Second do you know a bowfins eating habits? Because they are very close to a big largemouth or northern pike. Third of all, thank you for telling us how you know more about the eco system than mother nature, for years upon years bowfin, a native fish has done just fine without anybody trying to control them.

Can you shoot them with a bow? Yep, is it your legal right? Yep. Am I going to complain if you do? No, but don't sit here and act like a fisheries biologist and tell us that what you do is for all of us when in reality you shoot bowfin, crap or anything else you do because you like it and nothing more and rather you want to believe it or not the waters bowfin live in would be no worse off without you shooting them.

Again, going by your logic, all big bass and pike should also be taken out because they eat game fish.

By the way are far as your "no natural predator" goes....big fish eat small fish....if you need somebody to elaborate on that......

#11 DE82, Jun 15, 2010
  12. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

13. DE82

DE82 Banned

Opinion is one thing, fact is another ;) Fact is bowfin are no threat to ANY lake what so ever, feed very close to bass and pike and do not NEED to be controlled by anybody or anything. They're a native fish and one of the oldest fish we have in freshwater.

I guess in the end all you can try and do is teach and present facts to people, what they do with them is up to them :rolleyes:

#13 DE82, Jun 15, 2010
  14. all im saying is if they were not a threat to lakes/game fish they wouldn't be considered "trash" fish and BASS AND PIKE HAVE NAVE NATURAL PREDATORS...DOG FISH NO ~JUST MY OPINION~

15. DE82

DE82 Banned

Congrats on the catch to, they are few and far between in all the waters I fish. My biggest was 7lbs on LSC from shore. I know they are a fight and a half.

#15 DE82, Jun 15, 2010

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.