Thompson Black Diamond 45. cal muzzle loader

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sled Solutions, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Any pros or cons on this muzzleloader? I have a line on one with a synthetic stock and stainless barrel that has never been fired for $100.

Just want to make sure it's a decent gun.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. anything made by thompson center is going to be pretty decent quality. the black diamond is an entry level model.

i'm not sure what they run for new, but i wouldn't fret about the quality of the gun.. you could do far worse by entry level guns from other makers.

the 45 has been much maligned by the industry as of late. i'm not sure why - a 45 shooting a 40 cal bullet/sabot combination is plenty for deer. but the industry likes the 50/45 rifles, and much of the components produced are for such. not that you'll have a problem getting sabots and bullets for a 45, just that you'll have more choice with the 50.

3. It's a good gun. Was once a top of the line inline muzzleloader until newer designs that are easier to clean came about. The gun is reliable and accurate. The only downside is that it takes longer to clean as dissasembly is more involved compared to todays designs. It's really not that big of a deal though and don't let that steer you away.

4. I have the same gun. It shoots better than any muzzy I've tried, but then I have pretty limited experience when it comes to front-loaders. It will put 190 gr power belts sub-moa pretty consistiently. Like RZ said......its a TC.

5. Thanks for the replys...I think I'm going to buy it.