Small Brittany and French Britt breeder contact info

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by emason323, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Next spring i will be in the market for a Brittany puppy and i am looking for contact info for both smaller American Brittanys and French Brittany breeders. From forum searches i know about Auten's, Spiced Rum, Great Lakes Epagneul Bretons, and Center Ridge. Im will be looking for a close working Britt on the smaller side and a little more laid back. This will be my first gun dog so any and all input will be appreciated. Ive got a few books and videos on the way but any additional info on training would be a big help.

Eric

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. My Brittany has several Auten's in his bloodline. I don't know much about Auten's specifically but my Brittany is not small. According to AKC standards he is at the max for height and weight and he is lean.

[​IMG]

3. Great looking dog Ruger. Admission - I'm a breed fan of whatever dog I happen to be hunting over at the time, but I've been very pleasantly surprised at the versatile capabilities of Britts.

I took a chance on a liver and white pup 3 years ago. And while he's been pretty slow to develop, this fall he has turned into a fantastic gun dog. Roosters, grouse, and ducks - he's as stoked about one as another.

Good luck in your search EMason. They're a fun dog to have around. Loads of personality, loyal and gentle. Be careful how heavy-handed you are training, from my limited experience, they're much softer than some other sporting breeds. I lost a year with mine by clamping down too hard before I realized the error of my ways.

4. They sure can be versatile. I could not be more proud of the multiple abilities of my Brittany. Have not had an opportunity to hunt ducks with him; but considering he is a swimming machine I don't think it would be an issue unless the water were extremely cold.

And yes much softer style needed with him vs my GSP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob

5. Wow those pics make me just want to run out and try to find one now. Thanks for the link to Bob i will definately be calling him. I'm not sure how i missed him when i went through the forum. Not needing a heavy hand is definately a plus. Thanks for your replies.

Eric

6. Here is ole Ruger boy in seasons past. Maybe lots of pictures will help sell ya on the breed :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I'm already sold on the breed. At this point i need to contact breeders and find a fit and study up until i know i'm ready to bring one home.

8. You might try Great Lakes Epagneul Bretons. They have the French models :lol:. I hunted with a guy who has one pretty nice dog. It was small though maybe 25/30 pounds. I am not sure if this normal or not. But for a little thing she was a spitfire in the woods.

9. Rugergundog,

That is an awesome looking Britt! If you don't mind me asking, who was the breeder? I have a 9 year old Britt from Sice Rum Kennels (sire was Auten's Jack B Quick). He's a great dog and I'm looking to get him a little brother.

Thanks!!

Frank

10. I have a 14 month old from Sherry at Great Lakes EBS. She has really, really nice dogs. I couldn't be happier with my guy. Check out there facebook page, they got some nice pics out there.

11. Frank
    The breeder i obtained Ruger from is not breeding the Brittany currently. Here is a link to his complete pedigree. If you follow the Brittany you will recognize several of the dogs with a couple having been inducted into the hall of fame.

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1228

Pending the results of his NAVHDA UT test and AKC Master Hunter testing this spring he will be an available stud dog. I do intend to have his hips and DNA completed prior to any breeding offerings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here he is with a male litter mate. My vet tech's own two of his litter mates. "Ruger", "Remi" and "Ryder".
    [​IMG]

12. Thanks Ruger - yes I do recognize alot of that pedigree. You must be very happy with your Britt!

13. I am extremely happy with him. If you knew the whole story of how i obtained him, how i named him and where that journey has taken us you would prob roll your eyes and piss yourself, ahahaha.
    Not only is he a great hunter......he is loyal and one heck of a buddy......except when he tries to sneak beer from my buddy Paul.