Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Question for guys who fished Canada 2015

7K views 64 replies 41 participants last post by  Amos 
#1 ·
Of the walleye you caught what would you guess % was from there or US side ?

#2 · (Edited)
Off the top of my head I would say 60/40....Ont/US....that's for all year.....the Canadian side is also much more pleasant to the eye and more "peaceful" so to speak, to me.... lol.....I'm talking mid river....cheers.....

Just wanted to add that we probably spent our time 50/50 for both sides.....we have good spots on both sides as well that just tanked last year.....others remained good.....cheers.....

#3 ·
70% Canada I'd say last year. Had some quick limits on the US side too but the Canadian side seemed to have better clarity more times than not so I fished that side more often. After a US limit it usually only took a few minutes to pop over and get the 6th over there also! [emoji6]

#4 ·
Between the Detroit river, lake st clair, st Clair river and lake Huron I would say 85-90% Canadian side. Had a couple good days pulling wire us side but in the spring the Canadian is flat out better and lake st clair it isn't even fair comparing the US side to Canada it's like fishing two completely different lakes.

#7 ·
With the exchange rate right now you can buy three years for the price of two. Wish my sportsman's card was expired, I'd get a three year printed on that and not have to carry extra paper.

#10 ·
Id say 80/20 Canada/US. Less people, found a few hot spots that put us with a limit about 80% of the time out. Like others said it was about water clarity. Also with my 1000 other close fishing friends fighting over drift spot on the US it's a bit more pleasant to not have to try and find a starting point. I also think it'll be a earlier start to the jigging season this year. Mild winter, not much ice I think the run will be a week earlier this year with warmer water temps. See you out there!

#12 ·
remember grass is ALWAYS greener on other side!!
when you don't have license you are always wondering.
Buy their license never think about it again..

#14 ·
I bought a Canadian license last year. Best hundy spent on fishing imho. Never fished that side before. Caught fish every time. On a different note pertaining to Canada or for that matter Michigan. Do you have to have a boating safety certificate? I thought I read somewhere u can get a ticket if not. Is this a fact? And if so where and how do you go about it? Thanks

#17 ·
Probabaly 90/10 I find more areas along candian side than i do on the u s Plus i get the extra eye

#24 ·
No such thing in Canadian water......they are called Pickerel on that side ;).....just teasing.....but they do taste better !.....sounds better too, lol.....

#25 ·
About 80% canadian side. There is better spawning grounds and one thing i like is some areas there is no sea wall so when she starts getting stacked up from all the boat traffic you dont have waves rolling back at you from a seawall. Alot of it for me depends on the wind pattern in the spring... Prevailing west winds means i will be fishing canadian water exclusively. Also the water at times has a tendency to have better clarity queens side.

#29 ·
I think last year was a record year for the amount of fishermen on the queen side in the d river it was off the hook for 3 weeks on queens side more fishermen over their than the us but me I stay away from the packs just saying!

#30 ·
Got that right! During those weeks you are talking i had more then a couple days where me and my buddy would get to one of my favorite spots over there and boat 6-10 fish in one 400 yard drift! One day in particular we just had a blast must have boated 40-50 fish in an hour and a half! Those canadian waters can be very productive especially after a few days of westerly winds....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.