Pickled Asparagus

Discussion in 'Other' started by wyle_e_coyote, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Posting for those that asked at grouse camp. Glad you guys liked it.

Recipe is per 1 quart.

2-3 cups Fresh spring Michigan Asparagus (or as much as you can stuff in a wide mouth quart jar)
    1 cup water
    1 Tsp. Pickling Salt
    1 Tsp. Dry Dill or 2-3 heads of fresh.
    1 cup white vinager.
    1/2 Tsp white sugar.
    1-4 cloves garlic (depending on your taste.)
    3 Pearl onions

optional, 1-3 hot peppers of your choice. Choppped into chunks to save space in jars, or 1-3 tablespoons of crushed red pepper.

Wash Asparagus and cut to fit in Jars. Combine water, salt, vinegar, and sugar in pot. Bring to boil. Put Dill, garlic, onions and peppers into jars. Then pack Asparagus in jars with tips down. Pack in as many as you can possible fit. Poor boiling brine into jars, leaving 1/2" head space. Adjust lids. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes. Let sit in cool dark place for atleast 3 mounths, but as with anything, the longer the better. Try to hold off untill the holidays if you can.

Notes: Clean jars and lids per insrtuctions that come with new jars. You can go to Mason or Ball's web page for those instructions.
    Using wide mouth jars makes it easier to pack Asparagus in, but you can use standard sized if that's all you have.
    I like to give garlic cloves a good crush to help release flavor before I put it in jars.

Good luck, Glenn
    #1 wyle_e_coyote, Oct 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  2. Awsome Glenn!!

3. Do you have to let them sit in hot water, after you put the boil mixture into the jars???? The way we do Hungarian peppers, is you just put the boiling mixture in, cap them, and they done. Sometimes, the top will not suck down, but most of the time, it works. This prevents the peppers from getting soagy, they are crisp, when you take them out to eat. just making sure!!!!

4. My Aunt/Uncle made some very similar to this - great stuff! Who'da thunk it...