Perch after dark

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by shadow7663, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Just wondering if anyone ever does anygood after dark (late bite) for perch on the pond. I have never tried it but with it getting dark earlier now I have stopped my weekday fishing excursions for this reason alone.
    This fishing 1 day a week stuff is fer the birds:bash:
  2. The perch shut off when it's dark. But on the bright side you can troll up some nice walleye in the spots that the perch are in. I'v fished them a bunch this summer at night. (I work until 9 pm ;) ) The eyes hit harnesses on 3 ways . I would end up with 2 to 5 every time out. the best bite is from sunset to 2 hrs into total darkness. Bring a light . I use a little florescent light to light up the tips of the rods . Clean your 3 ways often .

I did one time have perch bite all night long in lake simcoe, Ice fishing??. Don't know why but its rare.

3. I have read that a perch's eyesight is rated fair at best at night...With that said, I have hit perch thru the ice at night but it was only twice, and I have hit them this time of year in lit up areas where minnows congregate. My brother got a 15" at 2:00 in the morning fishing a lit up area back in Sept. of 1988. But as a general rule, these are exceptions as their eyeight is substandard at night...If you wanna try a spot or two at night, send me a PM and I'll try to help you out... ;)