close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Never hunted a bear - looking for insight

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by ramitupurs84, Jan 8, 2017.

1. ramitupurs84

ramitupurs84

A buddy and I are doing a hog hunt in a couple of weeks down in Texas. It's my first hunt I'm flying out for. It's his second. I hunt far more than he does though. So I'm doing the grunt work on this one. I'm already thinking ahead for something in 2018 or beyond. A bear hunt seems like a good opportunity. Problem is neither of know squat about bears. I'm a MI resident, he's a former MI resident now living in OH. Neither of us have points given neither of us have applied. I've done my best to read before posting too.

I do not have the time to bait stands or any access to private land. I'm a shotgun zone hunter. Nothing against hounds, but I'd rather sit over bait.

Ideally, a high success rate with a good time would be something we'd want. I don't think I'd need someone to sit with me or him.

I just don't know where good areas are, if it makes sense to even do this in MI or take a ride over the pond to Canada. I'm really nervous getting a

This might be a weird calibers to choose for a bear hunt but he's a big 50 Beowulf fan and I'm a 450 bushmaster fan. Most distances I've research from guide services is from 10-50 yards over bait. Easy enough for our setups in that scenario.

Thoughts?

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

If you want to go this year book a hunt in Canada. Alberta you can kill two. Manitoba has big bear plus color phase. Ontario has good numbers. Vancouver Island has it all but is a high dollar hunt.

3. ramitupurs84

ramitupurs84

Definitely not this year. I won't have the vacation stash with the hog hunt/deer season to do it. I'd like to drive where ever we go too.

4. sourdough44

sourdough44

Since you guys are thinking about Bears, both of you put in for a preference point this May, for MI. It only cost $4 or so, even as a resident it will take a few years to get a 1st season tag.

Bear hunting is extremely easy, with someone else setting up the bait site & stands.

5. Callinalldeer

Callinalldeer

Lol don't forget about the. Big Bears in New Brunswick and you can buy two tags,

6. LOman

LOman

Be careful using the 450 Bushmaster for bears. I am finding that the Hornady 250 g bullets may be too fragile for that application, especially at the close ranges. We have seen about 50% of the deer that we shot with HUGE entry wounds on the entry side of the ribcage. It would only get worse on bears. If you could handload with the 275g Barnes XPB, then you have a serious bear killer.

7. youp

youp

Michigan is not the answer. Dig up the information from the DNR on the number of points a nonresident needs to draw a tag during a high success hunt period and in a good zone.

8. ezcaller

ezcaller

Your budget is going to be a big factor.A Michigan hunt will cost you 1000-1200 guided and lodging. If you go out of state the quality of the bear your looking for will up the price -plus travel expenses and non resident fees. Ontario hunts probably in the 1200 on up with the more remote areas costing the most money.If you go after Michigan bear be realistic as to what the average Michigan bear weighs and would you be happy with that . Ontario combo bear and fishing trips are a great way to spend a week.

9. countryhigh1963

countryhigh1963

10. countryhigh1963

countryhigh1963

Go to hunting expo in Grand Rapids talk to matt Owl from Richie falls he will put you on bear at a go price 1199 food and lodge.

11. Nostromo

Nostromo