close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mutant deer?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Ole Spike, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Ole Spike

Ole Spike
    Expand Collapse

Have heard several people including a few on this site speaking about "mutant deer" which evidently is a regular sized deer with very short, almost midget like legs. I have hunted for nearly 30 years and have never seen such a thing, but what do you think? Do they exist and has anyone ever seen or killed one? Maybe some type of dwarfism in deer?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. onenationhere

onenationhere
    Expand Collapse

I have never heard of this.Its kind of funny though,are you being serious ?

3. jackbob42

jackbob42
    Expand Collapse

About 20 years ago , a guy showed me a picture of a piebald (sp?) deer feeding in his back yard with about 12-15 other deer. That deer was shorter and stockier than all the rest. Looked kinda goofy.
    That's the only one I've ever heard of. But , I find it hard to believe it would be the only one there ever was.

#3 jackbob42, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr
    Expand Collapse
    Cereal Baiter
    Premium Member

As mentioned, it's a common trait in piebald and albino deer.

5. BKilla_13

BKilla_13
    Expand Collapse

There was a doe that stayed on my friends property that had the midget leg thing going. She was normal in color but she looked like a dog running through the woods.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. joe8918

joe8918
    Expand Collapse

I would like to see a pic of one. I recall once seeing a deer hauling tail through the woods and it looked very (low to the ground) but it had a good sized body. Not saying I saw one but thinking about the mutant deer concept perhaps he was one ???

7. BIGCHRIS

BIGCHRIS
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if they are "mutant" deer, but I am pretty sure that whitetails in Florida are smaller than average as far as leg size, but the body is the same size as regular whitetails. I seen a special about it on versus.

8. NoWake

NoWake
    Expand Collapse

Last season I saw a porker doe that had really stubby legs. She was very dark colored and was quite odd looking.

9. mrelkman

mrelkman
    Expand Collapse

I have seen only 1 mutant deer in my 20 years of hunting. I saw it three times during the Bow Season, it actually caused some other deer to run by me and I arrowed 2 does becuase of it. If you ever see one, you will know it. My hunting buddy also saw it and we estimated it around 35 pounds. It looked a reddish shade of brown compared to the other deer but still had all other characteristics of a whitetail. It's legs were less than 10" tall. It was faster then the other deer. It's head was not much bigger then a softball. I saw this deer in southern Kent County. I wish I would have had a trail camera then.

10. backstrap bill

backstrap bill
    Expand Collapse

Last year I shot a spike that I thought was a doe. It had really short legs and a big body. here is a pic.
    [​IMG]

11. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES
    Expand Collapse

I had one just like that on cam last year, still have it somewhere. What county did you shoot it in?

12. no thyme

no thyme
    Expand Collapse

i had one this year, early oct! could not believe what i was looking at! 3 deer come in, and the last one was the size of my beagel! no bs!! i stared and stared at it! just in dis believe, it was the size of a fawn! but w/its fall coat no spots!! i went to abc warehouse that night and bought a mini cam!! hunted that same area for weeks, but never seen that deer again! but the new camera got me, lots of good deer footage !

13. kmonty

kmonty
    Expand Collapse

Haha yeah go live in the south for a few years and deer hunt, i lived in georgia for 2 years while i was stationed there, and everyone kept telling me of there giant deer... finally when i seen them i about rolled on the ground laughing so hard, my chocolate lab was bigger then their deer! :)

14. jbierling

jbierling
    Expand Collapse

Mutant or cropped? If cropped, by who/what??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ramitupurs84

ramitupurs84
    Expand Collapse

That's weird looking!

I would shoot a mutant one and make a full body mount out of it.