Mecosta County Pig Update - (5 Hogs Down)

Discussion in 'Feral Pig Control and Hunting' started by Walleye Dog, Sep 27, 2010.

1. I have been slowly constructing a pig trap piece by piece over the last few weeks making sure the pigs are still coming in to the area. Well finally, I got some results today. 5 pigs were in the trap and we not going anywhere. The biggest one was taken out with a .270 and the remaining ones were dispatched with a .22 cal between the eyes. What a sense of satisfaction after all the time and effort went into this plan to get rid of the pigs on our 40 acre hunting property.

The USDA and DNR have been a big help and came out today to take samples and pictures. Two wonderful organizations since we got our first pig on a trail cam in July. The biggest one was 275# and the rest averaged 80-100#. This looks to be the entire family group that has been rototilling our food plots and destroying our small creek bed. These animals are a complete nuisance and is feels great to take them out.

I am a huge believer in trapping and not full scale hunting them. If you have pigs on your property, think traps first. It is the only way to eradicate the problem. Hunting them will move them somewhere else and make them your neighbors problem. These are smart, and mainly nocturnal animals. While a full scale hunting assault sounds fun, it will not solve the problem.

As of last year, I was a feral pig doubter. These animals are here, and will continue to be here unless we as sportsman, landowners, and neighbors can get together and use a plan that works. As a former doubter, the proof will be table fare for me now.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

Attached Files:

2. Thanks for being dligent and getting these out of nature! My hats off to you, the DNRE, and USDA...

3. This looks to be the entire family group that has been rototilling our food plots and destroying our small creek bed.

That is a great start.... however, in your statement above, I don't believe this is the "entire family group" for a few reasons...

1. the smallest pig would have probably still been nursing and that sow doesn't appear to have been nursing a litter...

2. that sow doesn't appear to have ever nursed a litter

3. you don't have a boar of breeding age

At any rate, you deserve a congratulation on a job well done.... keep that trap set, and keep up the good work...

#3 Wildwood_Deckers, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  4. That's awesome WD!!!! Kristi would be very proud. So I take it your going to have a little extra bacon this year?

Keep up the good work.
  5. malainse

Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Looks like your work paid off. Great Job !!!!
  6. [​IMG]
    I know of a few ranches that have pig hunts..... but yours is on the small side.:lol:
  7. As a Mecosta property owner, Thank You! Do you plan to keep the trap up for now? Curious how the pigs reacted to being trapped and how they reacted when you guys arrived on scene?
    Congrats on the success!
  8. As a Newaygo Cty property owner I say let em go since there are not deer up there anymore. Might as well have something to hunt.

Nice job on the pigs hope you butchered them and look forward to enjoying the meat.

9. I agree doesn't look like you got the sow and boar. What did you end up using for bait?

#9 griffondog, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  10. Way to go. Where did you come up with trap design? might be usefull to others here.
  11. How close are you to a hunting ranch or game farm that has wild pigs? Thanks Jack
  12. Care to share which part of the county this was?? I live in Mecosta and haven't seen any yet, but I beleive they are here.
  13. There was definitrly sign that this sow had nursed all of the smaller ones. They were all nearly a year old. The smallest one was a runt and was malnourished. It had a problem with its jaw.

There is a game ranch about 5 miles away and that is most likely the culprit. The hogs got really pissed off as I approached the trap and the big one took two shots to the chest from the .270 and it didn't appear to have any effect until 90 seconds later. The breeding boar of the group was most likely run off by the others some time ago. The boar that breeds them is typically run out of that group.

I am not convinced that all are gone from this area, but these are definitely the pigs that we have been getting on the trail cam.
  14. Congratulations on getting the pigs! And thanks too for complimenting the USDA and DNR. In an age when so many people complain about our government agencies and the people who work for them, it's great to see positive comments.
  15. My mistake on this one. The DNR was not involved in this. The credit belongs to the Michigan Wildlife Conservacy. They, along with the USDA Wildlife Services branch have a great hog removal program underway to bring awareness and volunteers to detect and trap these feral hogs. They were the key in providing this opprotunity to trap the hogs before they moved on. Their program is aimed at developing a network of trained volunteers who can work with biologists and technicians in a widespread hog elimination program.

If anybody has wild hog sign and or sightings on their property please give the USDA Wildlife services a call @ 517-336-1928.

Many thanks go out to Dr. Patrick Rusz of the MWC and Tim Wilson from the USDA WS.