legal length for shotgun barrel

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by tri-panic, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Am wondering where I find out what is the min.length a shotgun barrel has to be. Thanks in advance Bill

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. If your looking at cutting your barrell don't do it. But if your looking for replacement barrel. You can go as short as 18 or 20 inches. I don't remember which one it is.

I know my 870 has a 20 inch barrell on it. I want to say the home defense 12 gauge 870 comes with an 18 inch barrell. You can buy it at Cabelas, or any gun store in Michigan.

3. I'm sure that other members here are much more well-versed in firearm regs - however, I seem to recall that a shotgun or rifle must have a barrel with a minimum length of 18" as measured from inside of the bore.
    Does this sound correct?
  4. I believe for rifles it is 16 and I am pretty sure shotguns are the same.

5. It's my understanding that for measuring barrel length a dowel is placed in the barrel with the action closed. If a mark on that dowel at 18" is below flush with the end of the barrel you are in for a long day.
  6. Just a thought if you plan on using it for hunting or skeet shooting - Expect it to be loud. I had an old Wingmaster 870 12 guage I cut down to 20" or 19". I liked the gun, but got rid of it because of how loud it was when hunting with it. It hurt the ears!
  7. malainse

Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Not sure what your plan is But , as stated 18" is the min. for shotgun barrel. If looking to do more trimming the shotgun must be over 30" under Michigan law to be a long gun. If it is between 26"--30" it must be registered as a pistol. A good example is the mossberg JIC. (must be registered as a pistol in Michigan.) Another issue that comes into play if under 30" and doing it yourself is you are manufacturing a pistol and thus need to get ATF permits..

Mossy link-

“Pistol” means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

“Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having 1 or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or a weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
  8. What is your ultimate goal vis-a-vis this question? Are you just curious about the law or do you want a personal defensive shotgun that is - just barely legal. The more information YOU provide the higher quality of information you will receive in return.

Hoppe's no. 10
  9. I have an old single barrel,just today,cut down to 20" showed the wife how use it.It has a new home in my bed room.
  10. I have an old Hopkins and Allen curly hammer with 18 1/2" barrels. The 2 triggers are close together and if you put 2 fingers in there its easy to screw up and touch off both...OUCH!! 2 loads of duoble 0 buck at 10-20 yds is wicked. Used for home defense only.
  11. i have a single shot Iver Johnson that is for home defense only. 19" barrel...00 buck
    will keep anyone wanting to harm my family at bay until i get to the .38

12. i have a clf that sleeps at the foot of my bed.anyone comes aroumd i have plenty of time to get out the gun..
  13. What is wrong with cutting one's barrel as long as it is of legal length? :lol: