Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Lake Gogebic "bait and switch"

14K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  mustfish 
#1 ·
This is a long post, because every word needs to be there. I just returned from Lake Gogebic and, after being ripped off by the friendly folks at AJ's Walleye Lodge I ran into John Sibley from the Ice Team. John and Mark saved the day and, while we still didn't get any fish, these guys did their best. I had arranged with Jim of AJ"s for a hard-sided shanty for two days along with lodging. By the way, Jim, I still have the email documenting our request. When my team got there on Monday PM we found out that it was "too damn much trouble" to put the permanents out but he had a great two-man for our 3 guys. OK, we're flexible. We just wanted to fish. Monday night our "guide" knocked on the door and said he'd be taking us out in the portable. The following morning I said to my guys, "does he think he's providing guide service?" Tuesday morning as he's setting things up, I thought I'd better clear that up and yes, indeed in spite of the written quote, we now had a guide. I said absolutely not but I'd be glad to tip him for spotting our shanty over perch central. This kid was OK but he was told that he was a guide and we were his clients. Went back to the room. 2 minutes later, Mrs. Jim knocks on the door: "you now don't want the guide?" to which I said that it wasn't the deal I set up with Jim. Her response was: enjoy the fishing and check-out is at 11". My response was "but I have this on my emails, Jim and I talked about..." and at that point she said "enjoy the fishing boys and be out by 11". I am 63 years old and I'll never get another opportunity. I had friends with me to help with the 9-hour drive (I'm handicapped) and this was probably the only chance I'll get to go to this bucket-list location. I have two witnesses and written documentation of our "deal" with this sad little business. And I wanted to share this with you first, then the 3 message boards I use and finally every fishing buddy's face book page. My two buddies will be doing the same. Jim and Ann, THANK GOD FOR THE PROFESSIONALS AT ICE TEAM. While Jim felt it was "too much trouble" to put permanents out (there were about 20 including Ice Team's), we were willing to adjust. But the bait and switch, forcing a "guide" on us when we had no other option was a dirty way to treat good folks. I wanted to share this with all of you folks who don't know and those Gogebic locals who do know, just how much this tarnishes the reputation of an awesome winter location. The other part of this story will follow as an original post so everyone knows what a great professional team does for their client. Don't cancel, Brandon, go have a great time at this great lake. Stop by Timbers resort; check with Gus Pietila at the bait shop. Catch fish but choose your local folks with this in mind.

See less See more
#2 ·
and this is the second part of the same experience. The Jon Sibley being thanked is the one in the "Sky-Scraper Perch" You Tube videos that have gotten so many of us burning for a trip to this awesome lake:
This happened yesterday and this is a thank-you post to Jon Sibley of the Ice Team. After being literally "baited and switched" by a local resort (details above), I met the nicest group of guys. Jon found us shivering in 20mph winds after we learned from our local resort that they "don't just rent shanties...you have to pay for a guide". John took us to the area where the most likely perch bite would happen, rented us a nice cabin for the night and stuck us in a nice little shanty with heat. They understood what we'd gone through with the "resort" because apparently it was an often-repeated story. After settling us in for the night, they came back with 2 sonars, 6 tip-ups, a power auger and tons of advice. The cabin was so homey, less than the bumped-up cost of the "suite" we had paid for and got booted from when we insisted that we didn't want a guide, just the permanent shanty that was promised but "too damn much trouble" after a 9-hour drive. That evening, Jon came to our cabin and told us that he was going to send his Team partner Mark with us next day (no additional cost) and he would guide us to the perch if we were willing to move. While we decided against staying for the next day I just wanted you Gogebic folks to know what a great boon to your economy these guys are! YOU GO ICE TEAM AND SEE YOU NEXT YEAR! And for those interested in planning a trip, start here: https://www.facebook.com/LakeGogebic/?fref=ts

#4 ·
and this is the second part of the same experience. The Jon Sibley being thanked is the one in the "Sky-Scraper Perch" You Tube videos that have gotten so many of us burning for a trip to this awesome lake:
This happened yesterday and this is a thank-you post to Jon Sibley of the Ice Team. After being literally "baited and switched" by a local resort (details above), I met the nicest group of guys. Jon found us shivering in 20mph winds after we learned from our local resort that they "don't just rent shanties...you have to pay for a guide". John took us to the area where the most likely perch bite would happen, rented us a nice cabin for the night and stuck us in a nice little shanty with heat. They understood what we'd gone through with the "resort" because apparently it was an often-repeated story. After settling us in for the night, they came back with 2 sonars, 6 tip-ups, a power auger and tons of advice. The cabin was so homey, less than the bumped-up cost of the "suite" we had paid for and got booted from when we insisted that we didn't want a guide, just the permanent shanty that was promised but "too damn much trouble" after a 9-hour drive. That evening, Jon came to our cabin and told us that he was going to send his Team partner Mark with us next day (no additional cost) and he would guide us to the perch if we were willing to move. While we decided against staying for the next day I just wanted you Gogebic folks to know what a great boon to your economy these guys are! YOU GO ICE TEAM AND SEE YOU NEXT YEAR! And for those interested in planning a trip, start here: https://www.facebook.com/LakeGogebic/?fref=ts
WE are going up in march all ready have jon booked and timbers

#12 ·
I went last March with a group of guys and we stayed In a cabin rented and found the fish ourselves. Ice was crazy but all in all a trip of a lifetime! Can't wait to go back for the March teeter pigs! Sure is a long drive though.... we stayed at a beautiful cabin on the north end at a good price. What a trip to remember.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#14 ·
It is always sad to read when something like this happens. On the other side of things, one persons misfortune can be a godsend for another. Case in point: AJ's WILL lose business as a result while the guys over at the ICE Team will gain.

I don't know why it seems this way but "some" people that work at "some" businesses in the UP simply do not care much for people in Lower Michigan. Heck, they call us trolls. They often forget that their business is supported by many of those so called "trolls". I was careful to stress the word "Some" as not all businesses and people in the UP are like that.

My dad wants to head up that way. I know where I am NOT going. Thanks for the post

#35 ·
Exactly right! As a business owner, you HAVE to take care of the customer. You are providing a service to a customer for a fee that guarantees 100% Customer Satisfaction. If not, Work of Mouth will kill your business. I'm glad this incident was posted, because if I go there someday, I will stay with the Ice Team.

#17 ·
Thanks for the heads up, and sorry to hear about the poor experience. I'm planning a future trip up there and now know who to avoid.

#18 ·
Thanks for the info. It is so helpful to have first hand info like yours. So many times someone goes in blind and finds out too late that they had made the wrong choice. Your info will help many people avoid those who are after only your money and not to provide a service that is useful and cooperative. I would like to hear from the owners after they get so much feedback. Seems to me you should be refunded any money you paid them and an apology is due. I would say a free day in the future from them but I would guess no one would use it.

#19 ·
Sorry for your bad experience. I have gone to to lake many times and stayed at Maple Ridge with Gus & Nettie, Always a fabulous time. Gus gives out plenty of free knowledge and even let us use his hard side shanty when it was 20 below out for free because it was not being used one year. Once again sorry for your bad time, there are a lot of great people up there just have to find them. All I can say is start with Gus Maple ridge bait shop or Nettie at the hotel for some straight up info.

#21 ·
I'm sorry to hear your trip of a lifetime went so bad, but glad you ended up meeting Guy and were able to salvage the trip a little bit. I had already heard about your story and situation from Guy as 3 of my friends and I were fishing with him and Mark that day. We couldn't believe it when he told us what AJ's walleye lodge had done to you. I can't believe someone could even think about running a business that way. Hopefully the word about there horrible customer service will get out so they won't be able to take advantage of another unsuspecting customer. If you ever are able to get up there again I would definitely recommend getting Jon "Guy" Sibley as a guide. Him and Mark run a first class operation and you will definitely catch fish with him. Unfortunately we didn't get any of those "teeter pig" perch, but they had us running for tip ups catching walleye and pike all day. I know we will definitely be going back up there and fishing with them again.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm sorry for your experience! That's unfortunate. Clearly these "guides" (the ones in blue suits) have pulled the wool over some people's eyes! Even though they "helped" you out, they have their agenda, which is $$$. Let me tell you, as a property owner on Lake Gogebic, I can tell you for certain that you've been fooled! These people are liars, cheats and violators. Most, if not all of us "locals" know what these fellas in blue are about. Sadly, these people have duped enough people into believing their bull****. The people who have associated and aligned themselves with them (corporations, etc.) are going to regret it deeply when they find out what kind of people they're "working" with here! Not sure how many "guides" can say that they have multiple tickets from the DNR under their belts! These people do! It's such a farce!!! You'll recognize them by the blue colored gear they wear! Go check out Gus at Maple Ridge or join that face book group people started with the free advice! Don't waste your time w/these so called "guides"!!! Most of us local fishermen are embarrassed to even be associated with these jokers!

#36 ·
Thanks for your honesty about fishing Lake G. HBK. Many of us save a lot of money to go fishing and to have good memories of the trip. You just saved many fishermen a lot of questions about "who" and "where" to stay. You're a great advocate to have on the Ice Fishing Board!

#24 ·
After reading this thread I had to check reviews for this place. There are a lot of people who had a good time, there are some (obviously) who did not.
The alarming thing that I got from the reviews on AJ's is the way the owner defends the resorts actions on the bad reviews. To me, there seems to be something off with this guy.
I'm sure glad there are places like M/S that we can hear things before we spend our money. Sorry you had a bad time and thanks for posting this.

#26 ·
Don't bother with Gogebic. It's a shame what happened to that lake. All the breeders were taken out handedly around the spring of 2014. DNR changed the regs on perch and with the walleye in a big steep decline they changed those regs effective immediately. The town of bergland is practically a ghost town from when I was there in 2010 compared to 2014. Go ahead and check out lake link fishing report for this lake. Something drastically was done on this lake. South side spring time to be specific. :( it is inconceivable what people do to our lakes.

#27 ·
Lake Gogebic is by no means "a trip of a lifetime". As far as the walleye go, at times you can catch good numbers, but most if not all will be in the 12-16" range. Yes, it's fun but is it worth it when you can do that a lot closer to home? As far as the perch go, the #'s there have declined substantially! As I said above, I have a place on the lake and have talked to many fishermen while having dinner, etc. at local resorts. They hear and see all of this nonsense about how big the perch are and how they're so abundant. Trust me when I tell you that is not the case. I spoke with a group of guys who were guided by those guys in blue suits and they told me it was a waste of their time and money. I think the group had 7 or 8 guys and they were charged around $1500 to catch 7 total perch. If you decide to come up this year, please temper your expectations. If I were you, I'd consider another trip to a different lake, because this trip is not worth your time or money. I'd rather not spend a boat load of money to fish a lake that has 2-3 feet of snow on top of a foot of slush only to come away with a few fish.

#32 ·
I'll give my point of view on the fishery. I agree with most of what's been said here.

1. Lake Gogebic is a tough winter fishery. Between ice and weather conditions it can be down right brutal. Be prepared to get skunked and plan on paying to have your sleds dug out of the slush. Don't even show up if you gear isn't all secure and water tight.

That being said it can be awesome at times. Lots of walleyes and some absolutely amazing perch. But they are hard to come by and not guaranteed.

As for the boys in blue. I disagree with the post above. They are brutally honest if you ask them about the fishery. If you call and ask I'll bet they tell you how tough it can be but then also point out it a chance to catch a fish of a lifetime. About as fair and honest as you will find in guides.

If your expectations are in line then it can be an awesome trip.

Good luck.

Reactions: breminnie
#33 ·
I'll give my point of view on the fishery. I agree with most of what's been said here.

1. Lake Gogebic is a tough winter fishery. Between ice and weather conditions it can be down right brutal. Be prepared to get skunked and plan on paying to have your sleds dug out of the slush. Don't even show up if you gear isn't all secure and water tight.

That being said it can be awesome at times. Lots of walleyes and some absolutely amazing perch. But they are hard to come by and not guaranteed.

As for the boys in blue. I disagree with the post above. They are brutally honest if you ask them about the fishery. If you call and ask I'll bet they tell you how tough it can be but then also point out it a chance to catch a fish of a lifetime. About as fair and honest as you will find in guides.

If your expectations are in line then it can be an awesome trip.

Good luck.
Yes, what you are saying about the lake as far as fishing is absolutely correct, Lumberman. I did not mean to group all the boys in blue into that category and do apologize for doing that and possibly offending anyone. That was not my intention. I am only speaking about the boys in blue on this particular lake. As a part time resident of the lake, I can tell you that these guys are trouble and not to be trusted. I've heard nothing but bad things and have met and talked to many locals on the lake. Apparently, they've been busted for cheating in contests and have had many a run in with the DNR, to include tickets for various violations. It's sad as the blue team doesn't need that kind of people giving them a black eye. To be quite honest, a lot of us are embarrassed to even be associated with it all. Again, I apologize if I've offended anyone. Good fishing all!

#37 ·
Yes I will admit the bite is slow on Gogebic.... seems like lower numbers. Last year I don't think we got more than 2 dozen fish between 7 people or so. Be prepared to get skunked... we did a 9 hour drive and ended up dealing with WORST ICE CONDITIONS of a life time.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.