close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ithaca SKB?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by gab, Oct 1, 2008.

1. gab

gab
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking at purchasing a 20 guage Ithaca SKB model 200e. It's an older gun but is choked Skeet/Skeet with a 25" barrel and I'm thinking it'd make a good grouse gun. I don't have much experience with a SxS as I have a couple of O/U that I use exclusively for grouse/woodcock. Anyone have any experience with this gun or similar Ithaca SKB models? I don't imagine a SxS shoots much different than an O/U. Still has to be a point and shoot thing and if you're on with one you should be with the other.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. KEITH207

KEITH207
    Expand Collapse

I had a new ithica/skb 200e 12 ga with 26" barrels bored ic/mod back in 1979. I wish I still had it!

Very smooth handling gun never misfired and was a handsome shotgun too.

It was by far a better gun than the browning BSS or other sxs that were available then.

If you don’t take it let me know ware it is and much they want for it. :)

#2 KEITH207, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  3. SteelSearchin

SteelSearchin
    Expand Collapse

Sweet little guns.

I shot my first grouse with that exact gun. Dad had to special order it with skeet/skeet barrels way back in the day when he was in the Army. Once I turned 13 I couldn't hit chit with it anymore (bought a BPS Upland Special)...

My little brother and I will probably have to armwrestle for it someday, or maybe we'll just share. :D

4. Randall McGraw

Randall McGraw
    Expand Collapse

I have a SKB side by side that I had opened to skeet and skeet. It is a graet Grouse and woodcock gun and I use it on Presserve pheasants. It does it all.

5. Huntingskeetman

Huntingskeetman
    Expand Collapse

About five years back, I picked up a Ithaca/SKB Model 280E. It has 25in. barrels choked IC/Mod and is a 20ga I love this gun for grouse and woodcock hunting. It is very well made and is lightning quick as a woods gun, would highly recommend either it or the similar 200.

6. Bonz 54

Bonz 54
    Expand Collapse

I have an SKB model 280 in 20ga. I'd be surprised if the gun weighs over 6 lbs. It's choked Skeet 1 and Skeet II, single trigger, vent rib, beavertail fore-end, English Straight stock, and I absolutely LOVE this little shooter. I'd buy another in a heart beat. Your model 200 is extremely simular. FRANK

7. BarryPatch

BarryPatch
    Expand Collapse

I have a 200E in 12 ga. It is a good gun. I like longer barrels but that is purely a matter of taste. The only issue with the Ithaca/SKB series is a tendency or the wood to split at the points of the scallops.

8. N M Mechanical

N M Mechanical
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

I also have this gun my great grand dad past down to me love this little gun it does not get used much in the grouse woods only afew times a year but a very lovely gun.

9. 5PATS

5PATS
    Expand Collapse

I have 2 Mod. 100's. I would buy another at the drop of a hat.

10. milmo1

milmo1
    Expand Collapse

I just shot my 100 yesterday. Chocked imp/mod. The gun points wonderfully, although I shot it rather poorly. Just used to the Citori Upland I suppose.

11. gab

gab
    Expand Collapse

BarryPatch, is the stock cracking at the point of the scallops a big issue? I assume it can't be prevented, but is it repairable?

12. BarryPatch

BarryPatch
    Expand Collapse

It is an issue but I still shoot mine cracks and all. They can be repaired but I'd look at having the stock re-fitted. If it cracked once it will crack again. I've seen a disproportionate number of cracks on these guns and they're all at the same points.

13. Vahunter

Vahunter
    Expand Collapse

These are great guns. I have shot a 20 ga. model 100 for 20 years. I shoot it better than anything else I own. I bought another this summer at a gun show for a spare. The older one has been opened up to IC and Mod. I'll leave the newer one at M/F for pheasant and sharptails.