Ithaca SKB?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by gab, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I'm looking at purchasing a 20 guage Ithaca SKB model 200e. It's an older gun but is choked Skeet/Skeet with a 25" barrel and I'm thinking it'd make a good grouse gun. I don't have much experience with a SxS as I have a couple of O/U that I use exclusively for grouse/woodcock. Anyone have any experience with this gun or similar Ithaca SKB models? I don't imagine a SxS shoots much different than an O/U. Still has to be a point and shoot thing and if you're on with one you should be with the other.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I had a new ithica/skb 200e 12 ga with 26" barrels bored ic/mod back in 1979. I wish I still had it!

Very smooth handling gun never misfired and was a handsome shotgun too.

It was by far a better gun than the browning BSS or other sxs that were available then.

If you don’t take it let me know ware it is and much they want for it. :)

#2 KEITH207, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015 at 5:49 PM
  3. Sweet little guns.

I shot my first grouse with that exact gun. Dad had to special order it with skeet/skeet barrels way back in the day when he was in the Army. Once I turned 13 I couldn't hit chit with it anymore (bought a BPS Upland Special)...

My little brother and I will probably have to armwrestle for it someday, or maybe we'll just share. :D

4. I have a SKB side by side that I had opened to skeet and skeet. It is a graet Grouse and woodcock gun and I use it on Presserve pheasants. It does it all.

5. About five years back, I picked up a Ithaca/SKB Model 280E. It has 25in. barrels choked IC/Mod and is a 20ga I love this gun for grouse and woodcock hunting. It is very well made and is lightning quick as a woods gun, would highly recommend either it or the similar 200.

6. I have an SKB model 280 in 20ga. I'd be surprised if the gun weighs over 6 lbs. It's choked Skeet 1 and Skeet II, single trigger, vent rib, beavertail fore-end, English Straight stock, and I absolutely LOVE this little shooter. I'd buy another in a heart beat. Your model 200 is extremely simular. FRANK

7. I have a 200E in 12 ga. It is a good gun. I like longer barrels but that is purely a matter of taste. The only issue with the Ithaca/SKB series is a tendency or the wood to split at the points of the scallops.

8. I also have this gun my great grand dad past down to me love this little gun it does not get used much in the grouse woods only afew times a year but a very lovely gun.

9. I have 2 Mod. 100's. I would buy another at the drop of a hat.

10. I just shot my 100 yesterday. Chocked imp/mod. The gun points wonderfully, although I shot it rather poorly. Just used to the Citori Upland I suppose.

11. BarryPatch, is the stock cracking at the point of the scallops a big issue? I assume it can't be prevented, but is it repairable?

12. It is an issue but I still shoot mine cracks and all. They can be repaired but I'd look at having the stock re-fitted. If it cracked once it will crack again. I've seen a disproportionate number of cracks on these guns and they're all at the same points.

13. These are great guns. I have shot a 20 ga. model 100 for 20 years. I shoot it better than anything else I own. I bought another this summer at a gun show for a spare. The older one has been opened up to IC and Mod. I'll leave the newer one at M/F for pheasant and sharptails.