Ice fishing outing on Crystal Lake, Benzie Co.

Discussion in 'Michigan Sportsman Outing Forum' started by DANN09, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfw1960

Staff Member Mods

Sounds like fun , of course - but I should probably run it by my financial advisor , lest I p!$S off my dear Bride - inadvertently.
    :evilsmile

C'Mon Mike!! Make th' trip! - we can both "accidentally" bump into Milt at a nearby snow bank...LOL
    This I say . coming from a guy that uses a m00nKeY for an Avatar so nobody can see he's no "Horse" (of course) he's the REAL "Ed-ephant man"
    :lol:
    If I come I'll have to LAY on Dan's towing sleigh to make sure there's "proper ballast" ; so it runs prim & proper - - like ME!!! , RIGHT??

Why , ME of course!!
    [​IMG]
    (I'm much better looking that Ed , er I mean a a burbot ..LMAO)
    My spawning runs are MUCH too important to stop the next generation of the sfw genome......
    A super race of smelt yankin' psYch0tic fEEsHermaNzzzz
    :SHOCKED:
    BE VERY sKEErED!!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Well, you all better let the folks at the cafe know what there gonna be in for.:dizzy:

Got a pm back from Westlake Drive ... think he said he would probably have to do dishes or something like that.:gaga:

Sounds like Toto is almost convinced on coming back up north for this.:D

Now, burbot like nasty stinky stuff .... right?? Might have to bring my leftover jar of meat based Yote & Fox bait for a try.:idea:

Danno - If I've got the mental picture right here .... the tip-up is set up like a perch rig on steroids?? What type of line are you using for your main line? I have one of the Polar IIs with the high capacity spool, that is spooled up with prolly 25 or 30 lbs test of 'old school' braid. Actually bought it for lakers at one point ... but it has sat around, just like my Slammers.:rolleyes: If I need to down scale the line ... let me know and I'll get it changed out.

For the burbot, I'm guessing an 'eye rod should suffice?

3. I do best on the burbot with a 24" jigging rod, 10# test(no stretch) line, 7/8oz. round lead jig(chartruse), with a glow-stick at the jig. The best bait is a fresh, large shiner minnow. A steady jigging action that bounces the bottom.
    They fight like a carp. Bulldogging and taking out line. But once tired come up easily. A gaff is an asset for getting them through the hole.
    They bite best starting at sunset, and then until dawn.

4. I do best on the burbot with a 24" jigging rod, 10# test(no stretch) line, 7/8oz. round lead jig(chartruse), with a glow-stick at the jig. The best bait is a fresh, large shiner minnow. A steady jigging action that bounces the bottom.
    They fight like a carp. Bulldogging and taking out line. But once tired come up easily. A gaff is an asset for getting them through the hole.
    They bite best starting at sunset, and then until dawn.

[​IMG]

5. ummmm yummy god they are ugly but so tasty.:):):):):)

6. Count me in for the outing. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

Are there bluegills in Crystal? Walleye? Or is this one of those cold all year round lakes that have only trout and white fish.... oh, and burbot?

7. There are bluegill in there. But most people target the rainbows, lakers, perch, whitefish, & burbot.

8. Jumps your tip-up line should be ok. Your right about the rig being like a perch rig on steriods. I use 20# mono because thats what i had. Jigging rod has 20# Power Pro (6# dia.) no streach.

Whit and I are going tonight so We should have frozen smelt to pass around.

Most bourbot I cought were on a dead stick. No actual bite, they pick it up and You see the line just slowly move away.

The word must out I saw signs along the Platte that said "NO BILL" :evil:

Hey SFW just a reminder. Ther are no SLABS in Crystal lake. :lol::lol:

9. Darn gotta work!.... well maybe I can make it next time. Good luck be safe and have fun.:)

10. Opps! George goes fishless again!!...............:lol:........Sorry buddy I couldn't resist. I hope you don't see this until after we fish this evening!!!!

11. You & George still doing the Muffin thing???:D Or is that only a big lake/soft water thing??:lol:

12. Whit and I just got back from smelt fishing on Crystal. Fished from about 7:00pm till 9:30. A rough count of 120. He could'nt believe how that Vex was lite up like a Christmas tree. One heck of a snowy night. Looks like about 12'' out there and still coming down.
    Whit thinks We should have a smelt outing.

13. sfw1960

Staff Member Mods

P H E W ! ! ! ! ! !
    :dizzy:
    It's a d@mn good thing too George , my back's STILL sore from that wh0PPer I netted for you last year!!
    I don't usually bring a net when I ice fish anyways.....
    :evilsmile

14. I wish I would have had a camera to take a photo of George's vexilar to show how it was lit up. It indeed looked like a Christmas tree. We might want to think about changing the time of the outing to eat at 3-4PM and then head out and fish for smelt.

I really must say, the fishgod's rebuked me for my comment above about George going "fishless". He not only caught more fish than I did, but the average size of his fish were larger. That'll teach me to open my big mouth.........:lol:

15. 12 inches of snow? Doesn't sound good for quad travel. :sad: :sad: :sad: :gaga:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.