close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting question?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by ant1901, Oct 2, 2007.

1. ant1901

ant1901
    Expand Collapse

This question came up yesterday ...... In Michigan can you hunt deer if you are a felon? Not that I am but we were debating it lastnight

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. InTheRiver

InTheRiver
    Expand Collapse

You cant have/own/use a firearm if your a felon in Mi...... so I would say no to the hunting firearm, I dont know about a bow though.

3. Rustyaxecamp

Rustyaxecamp
    Expand Collapse

I think that is correct. Bow only.

4. ant1901

ant1901
    Expand Collapse

Once a person is convicted of a felony can he ever again legally hunt and/or own a hunting firearm or bow in Michigan?[​IMG] Answer Yes, it is possible for a person to have their rights restored. This is a rather complex law. To determine whether a person would or would not come under the purview of this law, they would need to make an appointment with their local county prosecutor's office and bring all of their felony paperwork so a determination could be made about whether they can possess a firearm and what measures may or may not be required to have their privileges reinstated.

Bows are not firearms and do not fall under the firearm prohibition.

Guess I shoulda looked at the DNR website first....thanks guy

5. fulldraw

fulldraw
    Expand Collapse

Depending on the felony charge, Some felony state that you cannot posses anything that can be used as a weapon, i.e. gun, bow & arrow, pockets knifes.

6. ibthetrout

ibthetrout
    Expand Collapse

My brother is in this category. According to what he says he was told he could use a bow and muzzleloader, both considered to be primative weapons. He's a bonehead though so I would check that before doing it.

7. jcran750

jcran750
    Expand Collapse

LOL!!! You gotta love those boneheaded brothers.:dizzy:

Jeff

8. tbbassdaddy

tbbassdaddy
    Expand Collapse

:lol::lol::lol::yeahthat:

9. JWICKLUND

JWICKLUND
    Expand Collapse
    Mods

I have read posted information on this forum about federal laws regarding muzzleloaders not being considered firearms, but Michigan law makes no distinction between conventional firearms and a muzzleloading firearm, therefore a muzzleloader is considered a firearm and not legal to posses if you are felon. I would still check with your county Prosecutor to be sure.

10. wildcoy73

wildcoy73
    Expand Collapse

wait muzzel loader being consider a firearm in michigan? oka i could understand that, but when you go and buy one that is a straight out muzzel loader and can not be converted to shoot anything but powder you do not have to go threw the firearm purchase paper work. just grab it off the shelf and purchase it. so that would tell me michigan does not consider this weapon to be a firearm. i would like to bet boehr feel on this subject. i have found out threw searches a felon can hunt with a crossbow during the rifle season

11. jmoser

jmoser
    Expand Collapse

First of all anyone who has ever watched 'The Dukes of Hazzard' knows that Bo and Luke had to use compounds since their moonshining convictions cost them the right to own a gun. [Apparently though dynamite was still OK.] :D

Second of all not all muzzleloaders are 'non-guns.' I had to fill out BATF papers for my Encore, of course that can take centerfire bbls so it may be a special case. I do think though that BATF considers 209 primed guns different than cap or flintlock - better check carefully on that issue.

12. thunder river outfitters

thunder river outfitters
    Expand Collapse

lmao....bo and luke....lmao...way to funny..im on the floor ....lmao

13. yippy

yippy
    Expand Collapse

I had to fill out BATF papers on my .22 cal pellet gun. Also considered a firearm in Mi.

14. jim sasser

jim sasser
    Expand Collapse

if a muzzy loader falls under the gun catagory,then why can u walk into wally world or gander and buy one with a loaf of bread,like it was nothing? or im i wrong? cause thats how i bought mine...:evilsmile

15. Whit1

Whit1
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Let's get this thread back "on topic" which is "Can a felon hunt deer in MI?"