How Far Can an Arrow Travel?

Discussion in 'Archery Tech' started by fishingrookie, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Forgive my ignorance. For an average person, How far can he shoot?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Do you mean a kill shot or who can launch a arrow a 1/4 mile?

3. I can kill a deer deader than a bag of hammers at 30 yards.
    And if I shoot at an angle over the tree line, I'm guessing a good 2-300 yards.

4. I see. That means that beyond 150 yards, it will be real hard for kill a deer because the drag from the air greatly slows down the arrow speed.

5. I have killed deer out to 35 yards ,but the arrow will travel for a looooooooooong ways if I miss .[​IMG] Most deer are killed at 20 yards or less with a bow .

6. Fishingrookie,
    I think what Thunderhead meant was in a hunting situation, 30 yards is pretty much the maximum distance, however some would say 40 yards is their outer limits to effectively kill a deer. The 2-300 yard was really just saying what the capability of a modern bow-arrow could shoot. In other words, if you held your bow at a 45 degree angle pointing upward, and let go, the arrow would probably travel 2-300 yards, but this is not acceptable for hunting and, quite frankly, seems like a very unsafe thing to do. Accuracy & speed (for hunting) are greatly diminished after 30-40 yards.

7. How far can an arrow travel? that is the question. depends on the bow and the arrow being shot. I have a parker set at 72 Lbs. took a shot over a cut bean field just for the hell of it to see how far it would go. Gotta tell ya I was amazed. Estimation of about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile , no wind perfect conditions.

8. It took a bit of searching, and I would guess that many physics and engineering experts were consulted, but this is what I found...

Confucius say, “arrow travel until strike object or stick in mud…”
    <----<<<

9. The world flight shooting record for a hand drawn bow is 1336 yards set by Don Brown in 1987.

The limiting factor in bowhunting is the distance that a hunter can be assured of making a killing shot. An arrow can be fatal from a much greater distance as longbow shooting archers proved in the Middle Ages.

Jeff

10. :lol:

11. Very interesting. Each time I ask something, I can always get some interesting responses.

Merry Christmas to you and your next trophy deer.