how does rain affect grouse hunting

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by ducker, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ducker

ducker
    Expand Collapse

just woundering heading up for the opener next week suposed to be rainy I'm new to the grouse woods!:gaga:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. i missed again

i missed again
    Expand Collapse

lot of rain bad a little rain can help the dog sent

3. Firemedic

Firemedic
    Expand Collapse

If its light drizzle, hunt your usual cover. If its a steady rain, I like to hunt conifers boardering scrub oaks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Rooster_Smasher

Rooster_Smasher
    Expand Collapse

Last year we had a weekend with two days of rain... It stopped Sunday morning about mid-morning. Had camp packed up and we were heading home. Stopped in a decent spot and put two dogs down. The birds were all over the place. They were starving. We knocked the chit outta them... Good dog work too.

Me personally, I will sit and wait out the rain and get after them when it stops.

We hunted mixed covers with a good amount of Pines. Those buggers were waiting out the storms/rain in dem dar pines...

5. wirehair

wirehair
    Expand Collapse

Early season rain help keep the dogs cool and hydrated. Get some good rain gear. A coyboy hat with a wide brim helps keep the water from running down your neck. I love to hunt in a light drizzle. a litttle wind and rain also seems to make the birds hold a bit more. Good luck.

6. 2ESRGR8

2ESRGR8
    Expand Collapse

Rain is a huge benefit.....when it stops.

7. Rugergundog

Rugergundog
    Expand Collapse

Well it causes me to get wet, my gun to possibly rust and my glasses to steam up.

As for the dog(s).....heck they don't care; prob cools them.

As for birds; i have not had that good of luck when its raining; but have had good luck prior to and after the rain.

I would pressume that the rain would get the woodies out and moving around looking for worms in locations that are usually a bit dry...higher ground.

Apart from the rain, with this dry hot summer I see a lot of trees dropping leaves already, cotton wood behind my place have dropped 100% already, other softwoods are yellow and dropping too. Should make early season shooting easier...or so i hope.